Just Bought my PPC-6800 (Mogul) for $288 In The Store!!!

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
My contract with my 6600 was up. I also wanted to add another line to give a phone to my inlaws. I read this post here and saw that I could buy the Mogul for $288 (instead of the normal $399 with discount) with SERO. They also had a plan for $99 for 2500 minutes. I currently have 2000 minutes with a lot of grandfathered perks.

So I went down to my local Sprint store and told them I wanted to buy the phone right now, I wanted to add a new line, and I want to match the SERO price for the phone. The manager said..."Okay". To help with not being able to match the 2500 minute plan (which I only average around 1500 minutes a month anyways) he made sure I had unlimited text and 6pm nights for free.

No bad, IMHO.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Hobbes, that is great! I'm glad you're able to move up to your new phone. You've been such a great advocate of your 6600 for well over 2.5 years now (and a driving force in my decision to make that purchase back in 2005), I'm pleased to see you getting your day in the sun! Congrats!

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
There are a lot great reviews out there....and so far they have been spot on. But give me a week with it and I will at least post my first impression, concerns, wants, likes, etc...

After a day with it I can see that I am going to be very happy with it. The form factor is very nice. It fits in my hand very nicely when closed. I really like the feel of the keyboard and find it very easy to use and hold when open. The rotation of the screen is fast (even with lots of Today plugins). It has loads of storage. It supports 4 gb cards. The data is BLAZING fast.

My only thing I see where HTC shot themselves in the foot with this phone is not putting 128 mb of ram with all that storage. I still have 23+ mb of free memory after a soft reset, but I will miss my memory sliding days for sure until I get at least 128 mb of memory.

But overall, for my personal and proffesional needs (which are often times more demanding than most) the pros far outweigh any possible cons.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
The phone is nice except for the faulty bluetooth, lack of RAM and slow video decoding. All should be fixable with OS/firmware updates.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
is there a lack of RAM for the purposes of 3rd party applications or can it not run efficiently and effectively out of the box? i like the looks of the device and the features that it offers although the slideout keyboard isn't my first choice.

soft reset and 28mb? sounds a lot better than some of the Treos i've owned in times past!

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
The phone is nice except for the faulty bluetooth, lack of RAM and slow video decoding. All should be fixable with OS/firmware updates.
It seems that the Bluetooth still has some issues but some are reporting some improvement with the last ROM update...but maybe they just have optimistic imaginations.

I have not tried the video yet....but on the 6600 the video was horrible out of the box. I found and posted several reg edits that made it work like a charm. I will have to look around in the 6800 reg to see if there is something similar.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
is there a lack of RAM for the purposes of 3rd party applications or can it not run efficiently and effectively out of the box? i like the looks of the device and the features that it offers although the slideout keyboard isn't my first choice.

soft reset and 28mb? sounds a lot better than some of the Treos i've owned in times past!
Yes...people with the latest ROM update are getting between 20-24 mb of available ram on average. Some have claimed more. But remember this is often times with 3rd party plugins loaded too.

For example I have the following plugins installed:
  • PocketBreeze
  • Contact Breeze
  • WisBar
  • SPB Pocket Plus
  • SPB Weather
  • PocketMusic Today page controls
  • and what ever else I cannot think of at the moment
And after just doing a softreset I have 20.12 mb of memory available.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
It seems that the Bluetooth still has some issues but some are reporting some improvement with the last ROM update...but maybe they just have optimistic imaginations.

I have not tried the video yet....but on the 6600 the video was horrible out of the box. I found and posted several reg edits that made it work like a charm. I will have to look around in the 6800 reg to see if there is something similar.

The ROM did nothing for the BT and there are no registry hacks for the video. It's a WM6 bug that isn't using the hardware decoder.

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Hey Hobbes I posted to your thread on pdaphonehome but just incase you haven't seen it I have a question about your new phone. Everyone who upgraded to the new ROM are having keyboard issue. If you go open Live Search and try to type something, you are unable to use the KB for letters no matter what. Only the screen KB will work. Do you have the same issue?

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Hey Hobbes I just got a replacement New phone with new ROM and I still have the KB issue with Live Search and Mundu IM. I'm not sure why yours works.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Hey Hobbes I just got a replacement New phone with new ROM and I still have the KB issue with Live Search and Mundu IM. I'm not sure why yours works.
Sometime this week I look at mine again. I would search a bit, I think read either here, on PDAphoneHome, or PCgeeks that others were talking about being to do this while others couldn't and maybe they found a common reason for either side of the issue.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Will the Mogul be available on carriers other than Sprint? I do not see it (or much else) on Verizon's smartphone list.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! :cheers:

VZ is rumored to have it VERY soon. Other than that, there is no one else that will be offering it her in the States that I know about since it is an CDMA phone.

Atanasoff

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I've found your comments to be the most useful of any here and on treocentral.
Do you have any thoughts on the Treo 800? Any chance they will improve their hardware quality? I had given up on Palm but the 800 sounds promising. My question is will it be another raw pork sandwich or will it actually work without patches, fixes and tweaks.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Palm set the standard for the world when they released the 600. And IMHO Palm has simply been resting on that success ever since then. I loved my 600 and love the Treo form factor (except I would love a nonsquare screen).....but as you said, from my presonal perspective, all releases since then have been more updates vs real upgrades.

I am always pulling for Palm to step up to the plate and repeat the a revolutionary release again like they did with the Treo 600....but I have learned to wait and see and not get my hopes up too high (but always with the hope of being pleasantly surprised).

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon