Sooooo, are you going to buy the Surface Laptop or what?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Hey everybody.

By now, you probably know all about the Surface Laptop. You know about those tech specs. You know about the four color options — though you may not be able to actually get the device in those different colors. And you know the pricing and availability details. (June 15 is the big day, at least if you live in the U.S.)

So, the big question: Are you actually going to buy one? If so, why? If not, what’s keeping you from pulling the trigger?

I’ll start. I’m definitely interested, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to buy one at this point. If I was going to buy a new Surface device right now, I think I might still go with the higher-end Surface Book with Performance Base, which is likely “the best convertible available today.”

What say you?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the Platinum i5 / 8 / 256...

I am not a big fan of the 2 in 1 or convertible machines. Right now I am using a high end Chromebook.. It's an HP G1 core m7 with 16GB of RAM and I get by just fine on it. I don't need many apps or programs and get by just fine, for the most part, using cloud services.

I like and want a well built machine with great hardware and support. The Surface Laptop offers that. I will try Win 10S for a few months and see how it goes. If all else fails I'll take advantage of the free Win 10 Pro upgrade...

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't need it..but I kind of want one. I'll probably wait a bit first and then decide.

enjoyfebruary

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Pre-ordered the Burgundy.

I'm an IT Admin by day, and a basic laptop user by night. My requirements for a personal laptop are pretty small and since my Lenovo Yoga 2 13" is starting to fall apart, it was the right time.

JawZ_28

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Nope. No USB C, only 1 USB A, no real innovation like the rest of the surface line, don't like the idea of a fabric palm rest, higher price compared to equally spec'ed XPS 13. The best part is the 3:2 aspect ratio screen, but that isn't enough to make me overlook the downfalls.

besweeet

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It's worse at ports than MacBooks at similar prices. The lack of USB-C is a real deal-breaker. Microsoft can say whatever they want about the state of USB-C adoption, but them not including a USB-C port is only a part of the problem.

They do look nice, but, man.

Very much looking forward to a Surface Pro 5 update. Hopefully it has USB-C. Might have to go back to MacBooks since nothing else comes close regarding quality control.

branflake30

May 5, 2017
Visit site
I was excited for the announcement but I was a bit disappointed. I'm in the market for a laptop and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Visually it looks great but the lack of a dGPU (I want to take Unity 3D classes) and (to a lesser extent) lack of USB-C keeps me from going all in. I don't understand why I would pay that price if I can get a Dell XPS 15 with a GTX 1050 for a similar price. Everything I've read and heard about the XPS 15 has been great. Even better than the Razer Blade (Which I also considered).

anon(1762522)

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Looks good for a high school kid but maybe not college, depending on needs (Dell XPS could be better in some cases). Would make a good 2nd PC for me (after my desktop), but the lack of USB C is a bit off-putting, although not a deal-breaker. Doesn't matter to me that it's not pen-friendly or 2-in-1. Those aren't features I'd use. Also don't need a touch screen. Overall I like it a lot.

Last edited:

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
The more and more I debate this I doubt I will. I just think there's likely better other options out there that would fit my needs. I definitely like the looks of it, it's a sleek device and love those colours but it's a competitive space and without the 2 in 1 I don't really see a huge upgrade for me over other options.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I would like something that can convert into a tablet so It can be pen friendly but it definitely has everything else I would need so I just might hop onto the wagon.
It's a great laptop nonetheless and I would like to see color options outside of the limit for specific hardware.

Definitely considering the fully speced model

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If I were in the market for a new laptop I'd choose one that has USB-C, in order to be future-friendly, and I liked to hear from first adopters about their experiences with it after 6 months, after a year, etc especially with regards to the "fabric" cover. I'm guessing there's a Surface Laptop 2 released in 2018 or 2019 that has USB-C.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
No, the storage should be much higher for that price point in my opinion. Memory is sooo cheap these days so to only have the tiny amounts they have in there for a $1K+ device is a killer for me. For that kind of money I could get a much nicer regular laptop that might weigh more and not look as pretty but would offer better value for my money (at least to me, your mileage may differ)

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
All I can say is it would take one time accidentally keeping it left open and my cat would claw the crap out of the cloth part.

davidsunsbk

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
It says to target the education market, but I don't think the price is student-friendly even for base model. IMAO If I were a student and had the budget, I rather go for something with GTX 1050Ti. LOL~

78Bandit

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't. The Surface Pro 4 fits my needs much better. I love OneNote and the ability to take quick notes with the pen. The Surface Laptop would be too limiting for my use.

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Usb C Usb C Usb C. My God why isn't it there. What a bunch of whiners. Every one talks about it, but I'm still not clear what people think they will do with it. Charging? Connectivity? I like the standard, but MS is right only a few devices use it now and lots more peripherals use Usb A. Good money for why other than you want it. I say they put USB C on the charger like they have USB on it for SB now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4