Usefullness of a touch screen on a standard laptop?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a laptop and a Surface Pro 3. Not a day goes by when I don't try to touch my laptop's screen, despite its lack of touch input. It's not that I want to touch it, but that it just comes so naturally compared to moving around mouse pointer, at least for simple things like play/pause, scrolling through images or zooming. Even if I'd not use touch on a laptop that often, it'd be less jarring everytime I reach forward and expect something to happen. It's like when I was back with Chrome browser and scrolled, expecting my gaze to be at a certain point after the (laggy) scrolling and it didn't happen. Jarring.

hey there. i only have a macbook pro which is obviously not touch screen but if i had a surface pro like you then i would probably do the same thing. whats your opinion regarding typing on the surface pro? i think typing on a full keyboard screen would bug me.

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Some features are just more intuitive with touch! Like zooming a photo, moving across tabs, flitting pics etc. Especially useful if you are working on drawings.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Some features are just more intuitive with touch! Like zooming a photo, moving across tabs, flitting pics etc. Especially useful if you are working on drawings.

hey strike_1, although i do agree that some features are more intuitive with touch, writing on a surface with a tilt like the surface laptop is unconventional. imagine taking notes in class on that thing, youd have ripped arms by the end of your school year hahaha.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Its a quick way to do certain things. Such as flipping a page on a book reader, pinch zoom or accessing the swipe from right or left stuff.

It's not something you'd do all the time.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Imo, its only practical on a convertible / 2in 1

hey there, i agree with you. i use a usb mouse with my laptop so having my hands constantly move from keyboard to screen and my right hand move to the mouse is too much unnecessary action for me. since my laptop has multi-touch and gesture capability its easier to just move the mouse then zoom in/out using the touch pad or even the scroll wheel.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Its a quick way to do certain things. Such as flipping a page on a book reader, pinch zoom or accessing the swipe from right or left stuff.

It's not something you'd do all the time.

If I have to flip a page on a book reader on my laptop, using my fingers, I would much rather use the track bad. The time it will take me to extend my hand towards the screen (passing the trackpad) to touch the screen..... well.. it just doesn't make sense to me.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If I have to flip a page on a book reader on my laptop, using my fingers, I would much rather use the track bad. The time it will take me to extend my hand towards the screen (passing the trackpad) to touch the screen..... well.. it just doesn't make sense to me.

hey ttsoldier, i agree with you. its easier to keep my hands completely at a lower height, whether im doing things that would benefit from gestures done on a touch screen or not.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hey ttsoldier, i agree with you. its easier to keep my hands completely at a lower height, whether im doing things that would benefit from gestures done on a touch screen or not.

Agreed.

I really wish they had put a 360 screen on the laptop. I would have bought it for sure!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.

I really wish they had put a 360 screen on the laptop. I would have bought it for sure!

hey there. ah so youre not going to buy the surface laptop? i can definitely see the appeal for the 2 in 1 form but i noticed there are still manufacturers that make traditional style laptops so i guess they are still in demand.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hey there. ah so youre not going to buy the surface laptop? i can definitely see the appeal for the 2 in 1 form but i noticed there are still manufacturers that make traditional style laptops so i guess they are still in demand.

Still deciding ;)

Firstkings

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I didn't think I would get used to touching a laptop screen, put now I am used to touching all screens! Can't help but try to touch navigate on a laptop, especially someone else's! Rapidly losing MacBook friends!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think I would get used to touching a laptop screen, put now I am used to touching all screens! Can't help but try to touch navigate on a laptop, especially someone else's! Rapidly losing MacBook friends!

hey firstkings. haha i would get so irritated when people poked at my macbook pro screen. nowadays the OEMs other than apple encourage touching the screens so ill try it once in a while if i get the surface laptop. :)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I like having touch capability on everything now. I constantly find myself trying to touch and swipe on my additional monitors.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I find touch screen laptops very useful. They make things a bit easier for me with texture work like Photoshop and Mudbox/Blender

I although don't really care for touch screen while doing basic tasks that can easily be done with the trackpad.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I although don't really care for touch screen while doing basic tasks that can easily be done with the trackpad.

I can't help myself to not use the touchscreen on my 2-in-1, I just don't know why would I spend 5 more seconds to navigate where I want to with the trackpad (it's because it's plasticky cheap feel and performance) so I just touch it, even if it's just launching an app or refreshing a website.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I can't help myself to not use the touchscreen on my 2-in-1, I just don't know why would I spend 5 more seconds to navigate where I want to with the trackpad (it's because it's plasticky cheap feel and performance) so I just touch it, even if it's just launching an app or refreshing a website.

Yeah, I don't know why but it feels a bit off for using touch screen on certain task, maybe I don't use it enough. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb