1020 Battery Issues

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Over the past 3 months that I've had my 1020, originally had a 920 but went through 4 of those then switched to a 1020, I've had 5 1020's. I keep having a problem with my 1020's, whether it be battery (my current one), faulty camera, shutting off randomly, freezing, etc. I should be getting my new 1020 tomorrow. If this one doesn't work, sadly, I'll be leaving the windows phone family. I love the UI and everything about WP, but I only have so much patience when it comes to a phone working properly. I am a medium user and know my stuff about WP. I know all the tips and tricks. In my opinion, there is no point in having a WP with live tiles if you're going to block everything from giving you that live tile info. I shouldn't have to block tasks in order to get battery life. The iPhone has a smaller battery than the 1020, yet it can have everything running push notifications and still have better battery life. I do prefer WP and the 1020, but that'll be what I'll switch to, again sadly, if this next 1020 doesn't work out. I'll never go android, ha no way.

My other option is to wait until 8.1 to see if they do anything to help preserve battery life with that. That'll come out in late March or early to mid April. I think I'll try to wait until then, but my patience is thinning with the 1020 battery life and the hardware issues that seem to come with the multiple phones I've received from AT&T.

I'm not bashing the 1020 so no one get me wrong there. I love WP more than any other UI and I'll feel like I'm leaving my family since this was my first smartphone, but I need battery life for my job since I'm out away from a charger for 14-18 hours a day. I already have the camera grip for the 1020 and I still usually get about 8-10 hours of battery before I'm looking for an outlet. This is why my patience is thinning. Again, to have a phone that has such a large battery, I shouldn't lose 5-10% every hour in standby then 15-25% when using it for more than 10 minutes at any one time.

Please don't bash me for saying this, I'm just letting people know of my experience with my last few phones and my requirement for battery life due to my lifestyle.

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
TIPS:

From my experience, the reason for these battery problems (assuming that the battery itself is not faulty) are rogue apps which are stuck in a loop. Uninstalling the app and blocking background tasks doesnt help. The only thing that helps is a hard reset (factory reset) and reinstalling only Your proven good apps. Recheck installed apps for settings that might drain battery.

This helped me went Down from 3-6 % / hr average (standby) to 1 - 1.5% / hr average (standby). This is With 7 background apps, 2 email accounts and even viber.

Hope this helped.

Demonchld

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I can take up too 400 photos I have amazing battery life. Try turning off glance, double tap to wake, tap to send, and Bluetooth when ur not using ?t also turn off notify of new wireless networks.

I can easily get a day out of my phone depending on how much I use the camera.

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I was experiencing short battery life issue, so few days ago performed hard reset (volume down + power) and switched to 3G max speed.
And that did the job! My typical use scenario is similar day to day (~1 hour using apps and emails, ~30 mins talking time); my 1020 is now exactly 14 hours unplugged and 85% battery left. I'm happy.
BTW Bluetooth, NFX, double tap to wakeup, Glance etc. all on plus 2 push email accounts and 9 background processes. No navigation used last days, but My Commute is setup and Nokia Drive+ is in background processes list.

Before hard reset usually I had ~40-50% battery at that time. Huge improvement.

Avinash Sirjoosingh

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if anyone replied to your post, since there were so many messages to go through, but Location Services is what drains my battery. The first time I ever used the GPS feature on Waze (another map app) for about an hour, I went from 100% to 19% in about 5 hours. Discharge speed for my battery came in at 16.67% (app called Battery). I tested it out the map apps Waze and Here Maps (without GPS) for a few minutes on a couple of other days prior, and I did see a rapid drain, but after using Waze + GPS for an hour, battery life became a headache.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I was on Lumia Black with 8.1 DP Update 1. Was not really happy with my battery life since the Update 1, so when Lumia Cyan was available for the 1020 in my country, I downgraded using the Nokia Recovery tool in order to be able to update to Cyan. Right after that, I installed again the DP Update 1, and the battery issues were still there. So I decided to use the Nokia Recovery tool again to downgrade to the official Cyan+8.1 rollout, and I am getting a very good battery life! Before, it couldn't get to 1 day with almost no use. Now after 24 hours it's still at 76%! (Wi-fi connected but with minimum use, though). So if anyone is having lots of trouble with their battery life, I suggest them to go back to Cyan+8.1 and not update to DP anymore. The official versions are way more stable and in my opinion it is worth to lose the live folders to gain a lot of battery life.
wp_ss_20140831_0001.png

ceeesquared

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I had issues with Lumia Black where the phone doesn't correctly report the battery life. There was a time it switched off supposedly because the battery is empty but when I powered it, it showed around 50% battery life. So far I haven't encountered it again after I finally got to update to Lumia Cyan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı