1020 questions

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
First off, I read this on Wikipedia so it may not be true but can someone with a 1020 confirm whether it is the case please?

The camera has lens flare and white balance issues.

It has a camera startup of 6.1 seconds and a shot-to-shot time of 3.6 seconds for 5 mpx photos and 4.2 seconds for 38 mpx photos.

6.1 seconds?? Jeez...that can't be right!

Sales are slower than the Lumia 920 and the previous Lumia 900.

I was expecting sales to be quite good but perhaps it's not a fair comparison as the 1020 hasn't been released in many places as yet.

Finally, on close inspection of my 920, I can see that there are a number of scratches on the display. My phone has been well looked after, hasn't been dropped of chucked around so this aspect of the 920 build quality has been extremely poor imo. My 808 didn't have a single scratch on and neither did my N8 and both devices were used a hell of a lot when I had them.

The 1020 comes with Gorilla Glass 3 so could anyone explain the differences between that and the GG2 which is on the 920 please?

Your replies will be considered when I make my final decision come next Monday! :)

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
4-4.5 seconds to open Pro Camera
Less than 2 seconds to open stock Camera
Just tested.

I think the sales stats are old and obviously the 1020 isn't available everywhere yet, with the newer price points now it's been selling a ton more as of late.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wikipedia ... :D ok

That is only with the pro cam app, it is slower than normal camera apps. On my 920 Pro Cam takes around 3 seconds to open. I hope someone with a 1020 can reply for this.
The rest of the camera apps seem to be fast.

I will not believe the sales unless Nokia releases them. The reference is given to Nokia Lumia 1020 Sales Analysis: Is the Lumia 1020 already a flop? | BGR . You should really check if facts are available and here they are not. So I think we should only believe official releases. And we've seen US doesn't want to use Windows Phone a lot, so I can see the doubts creeping in.

GG Gorilla Glass - What Is Gorilla Glass?

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | Corning? Gorilla? Glass vs. Sapphire

GG3 is better than GG2 AFAIK

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This reminds me of that State Farm commercial where the chick says things couldn't be posted on the internet if they weren't true. She read that on the internet.

The camera is slower but not that slow. In exchange for the brief delay, you have a device that is capable of taking gorgeous photos. There is a lot of FUD out there about the Lumia 1020 and the only way around that is to try one out for yourself.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
One other thing to remember is the Pro Cam app is a version 1 app. Additionally, since there is not a dedicated image processor software updates can address most, if not all, issues.

Just timed opening the camera using the dedicated button was almost 5 sec (push & hold to start the camera) to take a picture.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wikipedia ... :D ok

That is only with the pro cam app, it is slower than normal camera apps. On my 920 Pro Cam takes around 3 seconds to open. I hope someone with a 1020 can reply for this.
The rest of the camera apps seem to be fast.

I will not believe the sales unless Nokia releases them. The reference is given to Nokia Lumia 1020 Sales Analysis: Is the Lumia 1020 already a flop? | BGR . You should really check if facts are available and here they are not. So I think we should only believe official releases. And we've seen US doesn't want to use Windows Phone a lot, so I can see the doubts creeping in.

GG Gorilla Glass - What Is Gorilla Glass?

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | Corning? Gorilla? Glass vs. Sapphire

GG3 is better than GG2 AFAIK

I'm aware that Wikipedia is hardly the bastion of reliable facts hence the thread.

There's quite a bit of difference in camera opening times in 3 replies to my question. They range from 3 seconds to just under 5 seconds. It would be interesting to find out whether the camera is in 5MP + Full Res mode or just 5MP....is there a difference in opening times between those modes?

I would really like to find out more about the durability of GG3. In the link you provided, GG is supposed to be scratch resistant but my 920 is anything but that. As I mentioned before, I have never dropped my device, nor do I chuck it about or mistreat it, yet it has a number of scratches on. Most are very fine and require a keen eye to see them but there are a few that can be felt as well as seen.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This reminds me of that State Farm commercial where the chick says things couldn't be posted on the internet if they weren't true. She read that on the internet.

The camera is slower but not that slow. In exchange for the brief delay, you have a device that is capable of taking gorgeous photos. There is a lot of FUD out there about the Lumia 1020 and the only way around that is to try one out for yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

Having been a long term user of the 808, I'm aware of what awaits in terms of the quality of captured images but I'm sure the 808 didn't take 5 seconds to load the camera and that was on hardware specs which are vastly inferior to the 1020.

I'm looking for answers as I would like to take advantage of one of the various pre-order deals which include the camera grip, tripod, charging pad and shell which seems like a great deal. The other alternative is wait for it to hit the stores where I can have a play with it but won't get ?100+ of accessories for free.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware that Wikipedia is hardly the bastion of reliable facts hence the thread.

There's quite a bit of difference in camera opening times in 3 replies to my question. They range from 3 seconds to just under 5 seconds. It would be interesting to find out whether the camera is in 5MP + Full Res mode or just 5MP....is there a difference in opening times between those modes?

I would really like to find out more about the durability of GG3. In the link you provided, GG is supposed to be scratch resistant but my 920 is anything but that. As I mentioned before, I have never dropped my device, nor do I chuck it about or mistreat it, yet it has a number of scratches on. Most are very fine and require a keen eye to see them but there are a few that can be felt as well as seen.

Maybe, the time isn't an issue for me since the I like to take time to get good photos. I have Blink app ready on my homescreen for those fast pics.I use SmartCam sparingly.

I think the answer is in the statement you typed - Scratch Resistant not scratch proof. I too have scratches on my 920 but am not as careful as you are.
When SGS4 released, its GG3 is prone to shattering and scratches (you can either blame Samsung or GG3 on that).
I couln't find the exact stats on GG2 vs GG3

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
One other thing, if you switch to the default WP camera app, it opens considerably faster and takes faster shot to shot pics. The caveat with this is that it only takes the oversampled 5MP image.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
One other thing, if you switch to the default WP camera app, it opens considerably faster and takes faster shot to shot pics. The caveat with this is that it only takes the oversampled 5MP image.

Good info. How much faster on the shot to shot pics? How about the blink app?

Thanks.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Having been a long term user of the 808, I'm aware of what awaits in terms of the quality of captured images but I'm sure the 808 didn't take 5 seconds to load the camera and that was on hardware specs which are vastly inferior to the 1020.

I'm looking for answers as I would like to take advantage of one of the various pre-order deals which include the camera grip, tripod, charging pad and shell which seems like a great deal. The other alternative is wait for it to hit the stores where I can have a play with it but won't get ?100+ of accessories for free.

If you want the high-resolution photos, you will have to use the Pro Cam app from Nokia. If you don't mind the oversampled 5MP (and by "don't mind" you recognize they are more than fine for sharing) the Windows Phone camera, Pro Shot and other "standard" apps load more quickly.

A tad off-topic (sue me), I looked at the Galaxy S4 Zoom over on Android Central. For all that it does "right", quite a few compromises are made to give it that camera look and feel. I personally think the Lumia 1020 performs better as a camera despite the obligatory (but it's got 10x optical zoom and is an Android / Galaxy Sx device).

If you are on the fence about the Lumia 1020, I would suggest waiting. I have a hard time believing the camera grip is going to remain at the price point it is at for very long as we head towards the holidays. There will be deals to be had, and I'm sure Microsoft is going to advertise the hell out of the 1020 as a good camera for capturing all those wonderful memories.

I've seen some great examples recently of photo quality with the 1020 camera; several threads here plus some outside of the normal smartphone community. These are not always professionals, and even those that claim to be don't put a lot of heat on Nokia for the camera delays. If anything, they recognize the various options available to the user to capture and manipulate photos for the desired effect. How Nokia does it is different than what many would be accustomed to. Then again, Windows Phone is a departure from typical smartphone operation.

That being said, Windows Phone isn't for everyone. The camera isn't for everyone. Lumia phones aren't for everyone. There is concern that the hardware isn't "modern" enough for today's mobile devices. That's bullocks. Windows Phone the OS runs great on lower specs - which is something that only Android had any claim to fame on. You don't need a quad-core processor, 1080p resolution screens, etc. But, the consumer demand is for the best possible, which is forcing the hand of every company to make a bigger, better widget. What I want to see, eventually, is a dual-core device outrun a quad-core simply because the OS running on the dual-core is more efficient. Give me an energy efficient dual-core with stability and 48 hours battery life and I could care less if your phone has 1080p.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If you want the high-resolution photos, you will have to use the Pro Cam app from Nokia. If you don't mind the oversampled 5MP (and by "don't mind" you recognize they are more than fine for sharing) the Windows Phone camera, Pro Shot and other "standard" apps load more quickly.

A tad off-topic (sue me), I looked at the Galaxy S4 Zoom over on Android Central. For all that it does "right", quite a few compromises are made to give it that camera look and feel. I personally think the Lumia 1020 performs better as a camera despite the obligatory (but it's got 10x optical zoom and is an Android / Galaxy Sx device).

If you are on the fence about the Lumia 1020, I would suggest waiting. I have a hard time believing the camera grip is going to remain at the price point it is at for very long as we head towards the holidays. There will be deals to be had, and I'm sure Microsoft is going to advertise the hell out of the 1020 as a good camera for capturing all those wonderful memories.

I've seen some great examples recently of photo quality with the 1020 camera; several threads here plus some outside of the normal smartphone community. These are not always professionals, and even those that claim to be don't put a lot of heat on Nokia for the camera delays. If anything, they recognize the various options available to the user to capture and manipulate photos for the desired effect. How Nokia does it is different than what many would be accustomed to. Then again, Windows Phone is a departure from typical smartphone operation.

That being said, Windows Phone isn't for everyone. The camera isn't for everyone. Lumia phones aren't for everyone. There is concern that the hardware isn't "modern" enough for today's mobile devices. That's bullocks. Windows Phone the OS runs great on lower specs - which is something that only Android had any claim to fame on. You don't need a quad-core processor, 1080p resolution screens, etc. But, the consumer demand is for the best possible, which is forcing the hand of every company to make a bigger, better widget. What I want to see, eventually, is a dual-core device outrun a quad-core simply because the OS running on the dual-core is more efficient. Give me an energy efficient dual-core with stability and 48 hours battery life and I could care less if your phone has 1080p.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really sitting on the fence as such, but I do have a few concerns to address before parting with a large amount of money.

I can't wait to get the phone in my hands and start capturing high quality images again. I've never been happy with the quality of my 920 photos. Most look fine on the phone but very average on my computer or tv.

I've completely bought into the WP philosophy and I can't imagine switching now. As with the 1020, I do have some concerns of the OS but I'm pretty happy overall.

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It has a camera startup of 6.1 seconds and a shot-to-shot time of 3.6 seconds for 5 mpx photos and 4.2 seconds for 38 mpx photos.

6.1 seconds?? Jeez...that can't be right!

It isn't, at least for me. :)

Tested opening ProCam via the LiveTile ~10 times and it opened between 2.5 and 3.1 seconds. I ignored launching form the camera button, because it's tougher to gauge the start of launch time.

ProCam photo saving: depends as much on the type of photo you're taking as it does the image resolution.

For example: I took 10 pics with the flash on and all other settings auto, and between 2.8 and 3.3 seconds later, it was ready for the next pic.

However, turning the flash off will take longer, and this has to do with the shutter staying open longer.

As others have pointed out, taking a pic with the MS Camera app is much faster.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just be aware that a lot of the delay is down to the processing - the picture is captured as you press the button so you don't actually miss the shot your taking it just takes between 2-3 seconds for the image to come up on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss