PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
When all Windows 10 devices have this, then you may find value - be able to use your phone as a real PC anywhere without taking the PC there. So your files stay private on your mobile, but you have a full PC experience.
Exactly. You're in somebody else's office, or in another company's conference room and you are not a user on their network and they won't allow you to do anything on their computers. But the authorized user can launch the Connect app and then you're good to go.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You're in somebody else's office, or in another company's conference room and you are not a user on their network and they won't allow you to do anything on their computers. But the authorized user can launch the Connect app and then you're good to go.

I think it would be great if Microsoft actually permit this from the Lock screen out of the box - since it's isolated it would be safe to the PC in use. And would really start to make this stuff happen.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what happened here, but with the new build I cannot use my McAfee software at all. For some reason Windows Defender is now active and any attempt to shut it down in the Settings ends with failure. Switch it off, and it comes back on almost instantly. I can kill it from the Task Manager, but it restarts a few minutes later. McAfee software has some entries in the Task Manager, but I cannot open the main UI screen for it.

Also experiencing a LOT of apps that will not load the first few times I try. Some only get as far as a splash screen and lock up, and if I minimize them they just crash out and die. Other apps will get past that point and start to load, but never quite get there. Most often this is the Feedback Hub, Windows Central and Twitter. I've had to try up to 6 times to finally get an app to load up and run.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Imagine that wasn't your PC. That was someone else's windows 10 PC. You don't want to mess with any of their files, you just wanna use all the apps and files from your phone. This features helps you with that.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not even able to see this build on my Venue 8 Pro even after clean installing 14295.

Edit: Managed to create a bootable USB and installed it clean. So far so good...Skype UWP is slow.

Last edited:

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
This Connect app doesn't just work with continuum. You can also use it to project a second display onto another PC. For example, say I have my laptop for work and a Surface 3 for consumption. I have an external monitor at work but if I want a second monitor in the library I can just bring my Surface 3 and using the Connect app, BOOM, I have a second monitor for my laptop.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Well, you just answered one of your own questions with that photo. Maybe you wanted to have your phone stationary in one place for a group photo, you could take the photo from your laptop.

Other uses for me would be just phone management like being able to arrange tiles, do updates, have a secondary pc for work only, i'm sure there are other uses. Most of that could be done with a way to mirror the phone start screen like Apple does in itunes, also being able to push through Wifi updates through the WP/W10M app without touching the phone would be nice as well as being able to restart it.
yes i agree. taking photos remotely would be a useful feature. one more advantage of this is i can control the shutter of my phone without touching the phone so no vibration of the phone will be caused.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'll wait a bit more and might have to do a system reset. It's been quite a while since I did that on this Surface 3 with insider.... Like near the first w10 previews
you can try clean installing 14295 into your surface:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...oad%2Fwindowsinsiderpreviewiso&token=9ksfvdM8

I done that on my surface book and everything works fine after all driver updates completed.

reboot your surface into command prompt and perform the "clean" command in "diskpart" wipes everything and gives your device a truly fresh start.

rogeriovalente

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I installed the new version in my laptop but my system administrator account was simply cut off.
I believe the reason is because this account was not local administrator but a Microsoft online account.
Solve the problem returning to 14295 build.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what happened here, but with the new build I cannot use my McAfee software at all. For some reason Windows Defender is now active and any attempt to shut it down in the Settings ends with failure. Switch it off, and it comes back on almost instantly. I can kill it from the Task Manager, but it restarts a few minutes later. McAfee software has some entries in the Task Manager, but I cannot open the main UI screen for it.
There's a clue in the EULA (settings..system..about):
10. c. Malware protection. Microsoft cares about protecting your device from malware. The software will turn on malware protection if other protection is not installed or has expired. To do so, other antimalware software will be disabled or may have to be removed.
Your situation is similar, the EULA should have said "is not installed, has expired, or is not compatible." Windows detects that your current antivirus is not compatible, disables it, and enables Defender.

Solution: Check with McAfee to see if they support fast ring builds. Malware protection puts its hooks deep in the OS, and typically there's a lag time between release of a new build and release of compatible malware protection products.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
There's a clue in the EULA (settings..system..about):Your situation is similar, the EULA should have said "is not installed, has expired, or is not compatible." Windows detects that your current antivirus is not compatible, disables it, and enables Defender.

Solution: Check with McAfee to see if they support fast ring builds. Malware protection puts its hooks deep in the OS, and typically there's a lag time between release of a new build and release of compatible malware protection products.

So this could be the reason why Kaspersky internet security on my machine is disabled and I can't turn it on?

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
There's a clue in the EULA (settings..system..about): Your situation is similar, the EULA should have said "is not installed, has expired, or is not compatible." Windows detects that your current antivirus is not compatible, disables it, and enables Defender.

I can live with this if it is a known issue and I'm still protected by anti-virus and firewall software. I'm sure it will be addressed soon either by Microsoft and/or McAfee/other software vendors. It would have been nice to see a notification in the Action Center that "Your current security software is not compatible with this preview build. We are enabling Windows Defender and Firewall to keep you protected."

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
well today my wife tried to connect on the S3 and something happened in that no one can get anywhere with it anymore! Can fumble my way to log in but unresponsive start or no start menu at all! =(

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So this is what I experienced.

I've been on insider program for over 6 months now but for windows mobile. This is the first time I've tried with pc.

Download took about an hour. Installation maybe about one and half hours. After installation, lock screen had no picture. On logging in, Kaspersky Internet Security was semi disabled. I tried enabling it but no luck. It asked me to reboot so I did that

After rebooting, whenever I typed in start, nothing would appear, no typed words nor results. I restarted again. It got solved but now the surface cover wasn't detected.

Restarted again, cover got detected but Kaspersky is still snoozed. So I uninstalled it and then tried installing it again. It wouldn't install at all.

So now defender is running. Everything else seems okay. Did the dark theme. Lock screen images are back (spotlight).

One annoying thing is apps that I had removed like MSN news and health were reinstalled. I removed them again.

Second thing is about 10Gb has been used up and is in drive C as windows old. I'm guessing this is the 10586 official version which I shouldn't delete until redstone is officially out.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So this is what I experienced.

I've been on insider program for over 6 months now but for windows mobile. This is the first time I've tried with pc.

Download took about an hour. Installation maybe about one and half hours. After installation, lock screen had no picture. On logging in, Kaspersky Internet Security was semi disabled. I tried enabling it but no luck. It asked me to reboot so I did that

After rebooting, whenever I typed in start, nothing would appear, no typed words nor results. I restarted again. It got solved but now the surface cover wasn't detected.

Restarted again, cover got detected but Kaspersky is still snoozed. So I uninstalled it and then tried installing it again. It wouldn't install at all.

So now defender is running. Everything else seems okay. Did the dark theme. Lock screen images are back (spotlight).

One annoying thing is apps that I had removed like MSN news and health were reinstalled. I removed them again.

Second thing is about 10Gb has been used up and is in drive C as windows old. I'm guessing this is the 10586 official version which I shouldn't delete until redstone is officially out.
if upgrade causes problems, you can try clean install. no official 14316 ISO available but you can make one by decrypting the "install.esd" file in your "c:\$windows.~bt\sources" directory. After install, wait until all drivers updates complete. You should get a clean system and theoretically there should be least problematic.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread this, I mean almost all the whiners seems gone now. :amaze:
Does this mean that build 14316 is a good one? Can I uppdate without problems?
Or have all the whiners just become winers? :confused:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
if upgrade causes problems, you can try clean install. no official 14316 ISO available but you can make one by decrypting the "install.esd" file in your "c:\$windows.~bt\sources" directory. After install, wait until all drivers updates complete. You should get a clean system and theoretically there should be least problematic.

by clean install you mean wipe everything and start afresh, right? I don't want to do that since installing applications again will take time and resources that I don't have. And I misplaced the license key for office 2016, the perpetual license that is

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Interesting thread this, I mean almost all the whiners seems gone now. :amaze:
Does this mean that build 14316 is a good one? Can I uppdate without problems?
Or have all the whiners just become winers? :confused:

It may also mean that there aren't many people testing these days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6