1520 or 1020?

Tim J Meyer

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a 1520 for a few days and reluctantly returned it. I was put off by the massive size. So I got a 1020 instead and am already on my second one due to battery issues. The undersized battery in the 1020 is enough to drive me back to a 1520.

The screen on the 1520 is absolutely gorgeous, the power is there to keep it current, the camera is second only to the 1020 and battery life was a non-issue. You can't go wrong with the 1520 unless having a more traditional size is your PRIMARY concern.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a 1520 for a few days and reluctantly returned it. I was put off by the massive size. So I got a 1020 instead and am already on my second one due to battery issues. The undersized battery in the 1020 is enough to drive me back to a 1520.

The screen on the 1520 is absolutely gorgeous, the power is there to keep it current, the camera is second only to the 1020 and battery life was a non-issue. You can't go wrong with the 1520 unless having a more traditional size is your PRIMARY concern.

I actually sold my 1520 and went back to the 1020 a few days ago and now I'm kind of regretting it. They're both awesome phones, but after using the 1520 for a month, the 1020 now doesn't have the same appeal that it had before. The battery life on the 1520 spoiled me, and I'm starting the realize that being able to fit all the extra tiles on the home screen was awesome. Also, the colors on the 1520's screen are much more vivid. I returned it to get one handed use back and to take *slightly* better pictures with the 1020 after the black update, but I don't think the trade off was worth it. I'll probably go back to the 1520 today. The battery life and display cannot be beat.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree on all the battery life comments. The 1520 has the longest battery life in any smartphone I have ever owned. I actually do not have to charge it halfway through the day! Everyday I own this phone the more I love it. Been trying out the camera more in the last couple days. This camera is awesome.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this tread, I'm finding it quite helpful. The screen in my 1020 smashed today so I need to buy a new phone (AT&T) off contract. I'm debating whether to buy another 1020 or get the 1520. I use the camera a lot for low light (usually flash off) and a little for killer zooming. I will miss the camera case but can live without it. I love the phone but am a little disappointed with battery and don't know if I want to buy a 6 month old phone or a new one. Continued help would be appreciated!!

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this tread, I'm finding it quite helpful. The screen in my 1020 smashed today so I need to buy a new phone (AT&T) off contract. I'm debating whether to buy another 1020 or get the 1520. I use the camera a lot for low light (usually flash off) and a little for killer zooming. I will miss the camera case but can live without it. I love the phone but am a little disappointed with battery and don't know if I want to buy a 6 month old phone or a new one. Continued help would be appreciated!!

Get the 1520. I've now owned both the 1020 twice and the 1520 twice haha.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read all the comments, but if you get used to the size of the 1520, it is worth it. And it still has a great camera, at 20MP. Don't forget quad core and 1080p! I say the 1520, but if size is still an issue, I suggest to wait for the 929 to have a global/AT&T variant or get a 1020.

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Got my 1520 Saturday and this phone is amazing. The screen is just worlds beyond anything I've had before, and I'm actually able to use it one handed! It's true what they say all other phones are starting to look tiny lol

Just wish it had as many accessories as the 1020 (or my gf's iPhone 5s) :/

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the 1020 for my wife for Christmas because of the camera and size. She's loving it so far but I'm still waiting for the big boy for me. :)

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm an official traitor lol I loved the 1520, but couldn't handle the size. I switched to the 1020 and the size is so much more comfortable, and I'm used to the size still after the 900. Love the camera so much! I'm sorry 1520 users, but I would recommend the 1020 before the 1520...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm an official traitor lol I loved the 1520, but couldn't handle the size. I switched to the 1020 and the size is so much more comfortable, and I'm used to the size still after the 900. Love the camera so much! I'm sorry 1520 users, but I would recommend the 1020 before the 1520...

I jumped and got the 1520 and am considering going back to the 1020. I was out with friends last night and the low-light photos were not nearly as good as the 1020. I'll try again and play around with the settings but it was a bigger difference than I anticipated.

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the 1020 since launch and really like the phone. I picked up a 1520 to give it a try and the size is really not as bad as I had imagined so far. The added resolution is amazing and I am looking forward to more devices with this resolution so that more apps will take advantage of it. The added space on the home screen is really worth it and I can not get all my most used apps and live tiles visible without have to scroll.

I imagine that for many using this as a daily primary phone will be an issue as the size is a bit hard to deal with in some situations. But having said that I think I am going to be sticking with it.

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the 1020 since launch and really like the phone. I picked up a 1520 to give it a try and the size is really not as bad as I had imagined so far. The added resolution is amazing and I am looking forward to more devices with this resolution so that more apps will take advantage of it. The added space on the home screen is really worth it and I can not get all my most used apps and live tiles visible without have to scroll.

I imagine that for many using this as a daily primary phone will be an issue as the size is a bit hard to deal with in some situations. But having said that I think I am going to be sticking with it.
I really liked the size to an extent. My hand started to hurt trying to use that massive thing!

I'm hoping for the same resolution in a 1020 like device that'd be the bomb!

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've got both right now and I can really tell the speed difference between the 2. The snapdragon 800 is a lot faster when using apps and the 1080p screen makes the text a lot sharper. My 1520 also has a lot better battery than my 1020, even with the 1020 camera grip.

chobits

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course it will be best if it has 1020 size and camera with 1520 specs
I mean 6" isn't everybody cup of tea
Size can be subjective

If I choose 1520:
Screen size and fHD resolution
Specs
Battery (1020 battery life is bad)
External memory slot

1020:
Camera camera camera camera camera and camera GRIP (i've seen 1520 camera result with BLACK, and it's not even on par with 1020 before BLACK. 1020 with BLACK is a monster. 1520 camera result is dark even on the daylight, more noise, and the low light is just .... plain. I just don't think the camera results are comparable, but having what 1520 has, it's more than plenty)
Size & weight are comfortable
Screen is amoled even though only 720p

In the end, it's the camera that I want
And 6" is way too big for my hand and not practical in daily life

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I do miss the 1520's battery. I think I have battery drain on here! (11/hrs w/battery saver) then again I might just be used to that 1520 charge! :/ @chobits that's what I was thinking the day I got it! ;D

Edit: I think I fixed the battery issue. Took out 4 background tasks and have 20 hours.

Last edited:

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you pleased with the lowlight photography in bars or places with bad lighting?

I am.

I have some great pics from New Years outside during fireworks. My sister was upset because she couldnt get any decent pics with her GS4, so I showed her up. ;) She was pretty amazed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)