[640][W10] Anyone notice a wierd use of the accelerometer during calls?

Webmaster2015

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey...

My 640 has this interesting feature. When you are in a call and put the phone up to your ear (vertical), the screen shuts off. When you take your phone off your ear to push some buttons (your phone is almost flat horizontal), the screen automatically turns on again.

Is this a Windows 10 mobile bug, or is this a standard 640 feature?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's always been like that for me. I think it does that to save power. My mom's Android phone does a similar thing.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey...

My 640 has this interesting feature. When you are in a call and put the phone up to your ear (vertical), the screen shuts off. When you take your phone off your ear to push some buttons (your phone is almost flat horizontal), the screen automatically turns on again.

Is this a Windows 10 mobile bug, or is this a standard 640 feature?

And the weird thing is? I don't know about you, but i don't wanna press stuff on my phone with my ear during phone calls.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Almost all smartphones work this way. And it's not the accelerometer, there's a proximity sensor just for this.

Yes, there is a proximity sensor to detect how close an object is and also to sense motion that is just to the right of the front facing camera. It can tell if it has been put in a pocket, a holster, or up to your ear. This will turn off the screen so that #1 battery is not wasted and #2 buttons are not accidentally pressed.

It will also turn off the screen if you have Glance turned on, so that glance doesn't use any more power than necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aLeeknBoat