8X won't turn on again

Lucy Berry

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I did try to charge my phone but it still wouldn't charge. It got stuck on a white screen then turned itself off after a while as there was no battery charge. So I'm now charging it but it still keeps turning on and off now it's stuck on the white screen again.

oscarxvita

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I did try to charge my phone but it still wouldn't charge. It got stuck on a white screen then turned itself off after a while as there was no battery charge. So I'm now charging it but it still keeps turning on and off now it's stuck on the white screen again.
Could the battery be taken out? I think its battery is over used and won't charge,if it can be take out, you can charge the battery itself by using battery charger(not the phone), if not, you'd better return it

Lucy Berry

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The battery is built in to the phone so I can't take it out. I got it working again for 3 days now it's playing up again. I will take it back today?!

Vince Grech

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 800 does this when it thinks it's out of battery - try plugging it in while simultaneously tapping the power button. As in, more like you're unlocking the phone, than holding it down to turn on the power. For some reason this jumpstarts it! Don't know if it will work for the 8X but the depleted battery issue is a widespread problem for the 800

Thank you for your post! My HTC 8x just encountered this problem and I freaked out! It was vibrating when connected to charger, when trying to reset etc. I was playing a game and the battery was totally depleted.

When I try the method to tap power button as soon I power up the charger I succeeded but not on the first try, I had to to do over and over again for 5 times or more!

729Nerd

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have had my HTC 8x for a week now and it will not turn all the way on it will get to the HTC quietly brilliant screen but then will vibrate and shut off and do the same thing over and over again. Does anyone know of any fixes for this? or should I just take it in?

JohnT_NC

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Today I ran into the issue where it wouldn't turn on at all. I plugged it into the charging cable, and it would vibrate, but the screen never came on. A few seconds later it would vibrate again, then again, and so on repeatedly, as if it was trying to wake up but caught in an endless reboot. After a couple minutes I thought I'd better look on online for a solution, and found this thread. I tried holding power+volume down, pressing power repeatedly, tapping it firmly against my opposite hand, but nothing worked for me. I also went to the windowsphone site to see if it was merely a screen issue and was actually connected. The "Locate My Phone" screen said the last checkin was yesterday around 11am, so it could've been dead for a day before I noticed. I thought it still had plenty of charge, since I had it plugged in over the weekend.

Well, it turned out the battery must've been completely drained... I'm not sure how that happened, but after about 10-15min of trying to wake up, the screen finally came to life and splashed the htc logo, but then it went black again. The next time the htc screen came up, it stayed alive. I went to the settings and at that point it was saying the battery was at 2%. Maybe with a 2A charger it would've woken up sooner, since it seemed the device was spending so much energy trying to wake up that it wasn't charging fast enough to wake up at all.

I hadn't seen this particular issue listed yet, so maybe this will help someone someday if they run into the same issue.

mikkicamm

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
this freakin worked, thank you so muchh, contiously tap the lock button for a couple seconds then hold down the power button, it should turn on, you saved my phonee

Gadworx

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I think I know what the problem is:

THE PROBLEM:
I am on my second 8X and both have the problems described above in this forum. Basically, the phone goes to sleep, so it looks dead...screen blank without any LEDs on. Unfortunately it will never come out of this mode. It appears to be dead, but often if someone else calls the phone it rings instead of going straight to voicemail as expected. Thinking it is powered down, one puts it on a charger, but that does not appear to work. But it will eventually. If left on the charger for a random amount of time, it will revive and show that it has like 1% or 2% power. It will then charge up and return to normal usage. How long it has to be on the charger depends. My first phone I left it on for days (I had given up and went back to my old phone and was going to return the 8X), and after 5-6 days it came back alive! My current one will come back in hours instead of days.

THE SUSPECTED CAUSE:
The phone goes into sleep mode and a program or the O/S crashes by getting into an infinite loop or possibly an internal hardware interrupt continuously firing. In this loop, the CPU usage must be at or near 100%. This makes it unresponsive and appear dead. Depending on the crash/loop, the cell transmitter may still be working and is independently still connected to the cell network (so we appear to still be online to those that call us). So we plug the phone up thinking that it needs charged, but it doesn't. I assume that when it is connected to a charger the battery must be charging, but since the phone is looped into 100% CPU usage, it is using power slightly faster than the charger is charging the battery. So depending on how much charge is in the phone before the crash, the phone continues in this mode for a random amount of time until the phone battery actually reaches depletion (again because the charger cannot keep the battery charged faster than the loop is using energy). Depending on the starting battery power or the actually CPU usage (89% versus 95% versus 100% for example), the phone finally drain and shuts down and depowers. Since it is doing this already connected to the charger, it then powers back up when it has minimum power (shouldn't take long...maybe immediately at this point). At this point the phone will boot up normally and be back to normal.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS OR FIXES:
If the battery could be removed, removing the battery would work (I did this with my Android problems)--but I like the thinness of the 8X...like it better than any phone I have every had (I have had all the other platforms). So one way might be to NOT put the phone o a charger and let the phone drain faster so that it shuts down. The problem here is that you will never know when it actually shuts down, so one would have to plug it up periodically and see if the LED comes on--remember though if it is fully drained, it may have to actually charge for a bit before it reached minimum charge (maybe not though).

Another thought would be to try to figure out why it may be in this crashed loop to start with. Others and myself have noticed it happens a lot when the phones are in our pockets. There is a feature that rings the phone louder when it thinks it is in our pocket. Maybe turn this feature off as maybe the method used to do this has a bug or something. Maybe a similar feature might be doing this. If it is not the O/S or the phone software itself, maybe it is a background task that is going crazy, so looking at these programs might be the problem. There are some problems with the WP O/S I believe so it could be in the O?S itself (hope not).

If anyway can test these assumptions with me and post the results that would be cool. Unfortunately the only way to know if turning off features or background tasks work is by waiting a long time and not seeing the problem...argh! ...but got to start somewhere since HTC isn't fixing this anytime soon.

Thanks all! I do not know if this is the problem or not, but it does fit the evidence quite well.

--GAD

Alen Murillo

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
thanks! you sabe MY PHONE and my $400 investment! what I used was my SONY PS VITA charger! its 5V-with-1500mA(1.5A)! when I plug it in suddenly revive! im in debt with U! One more cuesti?n... should I keep it chariging with my Vita charger or do I need to go back with my 5V-1A charger? thanks!

Awyais1

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
i bought my phone of ebay but its network provider is vodafone so do u guys think they will replace it HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aravind raj

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I bought an HTC 8x Windows phone day b4 yesterday via an online store, While putting the phone into my pocket, I accidently pressed the power button and it asked for whether to swipe to switch off. I swipped it and gone... After that the mobile dint switch back ON . The screen displays nothing, the back, Windows, and search buttons do not light up, and the charging light fails to turn on when connected to either a wall socket. I have tried holding down the power button and volume-down button for 15-20 seconds, I have held down the power button for a whole minute, but it is not responding
I searched HTC website and the support is available only frm 9am to 9pm... Waiting for that....

Can anyone help me in suggesting doing some thing other than the power button+volume button...
Or any one suggest the exact procedure in doing...

Thanks in advance.
rgds,
aravind
91 9895 505 404

Haroon Ayaz

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine htc is also not working.. and i have visited many shops here but there was nt a gd response from any of he shopkeeper .. if there is any solutiona bout this kindly inform me to .. htc service center are claiming that my phone is dead ;(

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my 8X some months ago. Meanwhile I have a similar problem like those that are here described:
"I put my phone on charging over the night. Morning, when I want to unplug it, the phone screen doesn't wake up if I press the power button. Strange enough, the led remains green even if the phone is unplugged from the charger".
The solutions for these events:
- long press (about 10-20 sec) on power button until the phone restart itself.

These happened on WP8 and WP8.1 too. I hope this is just software related.

Last edited:

Mackenzie Feldt

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 8x since October of last year and it's caused me nothing but problems. I've had 6 replacements due to manufacture issues. Mine currently won't turn on and before it shut off the LED lights were flashing green and red.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb