950XL features leaked

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

It is 0.3" smaller but I'd like to believe the screen will be one of its selling points and worth the upgrade from 1520. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a jaw-dropping, sleek and minimalist design... Can't wait to see it! My current Lumia 925 is ready to retire.

I really wish they would keep it 6 inches but just work hard to make the bezels slimmer, to make it easier to handle.

MS needs to NOT stoop down to Android OEM's & Apple's levels of what is the standard or what is good enough. They need to go BEYOND what is good enough, and focus on QUALITY FEATURES, and not participate in Androids petty specs race.

2560x1440 is a waste of energy on a 5inch screen IMO.

Just look at it. Samsung will be bragging about having 2k on a phone, when the human eye cant even tell the difference between 2k or 1080p on 5inches, while MS can be bragging about having days of battery life

I really like how Apple isn't petty. They implement what is needed in their devices. They focus on what it takes to give you a good experience, not loading their products with necessities just so they can say this and that is there. I'm not saying Apple is perfect ( because they are not), but if MS learned a thing or two from Apple, they could very much be on top in the mobile world.

Windows phone is the smoothness and consistency of ios while also having the flexibility of Android in the fact that windows phone can reach millions due to OEM openness

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Also I think MS should like Apple, also include "special" made processors in their flagships. Whether that means having LG, Samsung or whoever manufacture it, I don't care, or at least do something to enhance the processors that Qualcomm releases.
I'm not saying the yearly 8 - something processors aren't enough. It's just that when every OEM is getting the same processor every year as each other that support the same things, it really prevents even the most outgoing OEM to really step too far ahead of the others and innovate.

It's like every car manufacture getting their engines from the same place each year. No car will ever be too much better than the other if that's the case, right? or am I completely misunderstanding this system of Qualcomm releasing a new 8-series high end processor each year that almost every premium smartphone OEM uses... Help me with this, because I really don't understand why OEM's would limit themselves like this...

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Help me with this, because I really don't understand why OEM's would limit themselves like this...
Because designing and manufacturing a chip (even using someone else's fab plant) would cost many many millions. And for the (relatively) tiny quantities Microsoft would need, it's just not feasible.
They might get a tweaked Intel or Qualcomm design, but I very much doubt they'd consider going for their own designs.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I have no problem with a 5.7 inch screen . I like the 1520's size but a bit smaller which is all we're talking about is probably going to be okay. The 640 xl should be out soon so we'll know the size when the 940 comes out..

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully some UK carrier or phone shop will stock it. I'm interesting in seeing the size. I imagine that it will resemble the dimensions of the Note 4. But, look better.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
CB Stuart, I know you will HATE hearing this, but I had the exact same problem with my Lumia Icon until recently. What happened is that I upgraded it to Win 10 TP, but that was a complete NIGHTMARE! I reverted it back to Windows 8.1, but was having the same problems you are describing. So, I read on another forum that it is better to reimage your Lumia Icon and then reinstall the apps one at a time from the store. DO NOT use the recovery option for your apps. I did this and my Lumia Icon is running perfectly. Battery usage was cut considerably, no more heating up, and all of my apps are working much better. No more "...loading" on the screen either. Give this a try and let me know if it works as good for you as it did for me. My Lumia Icon is now like a brand new phone!

Thank you so much for this tip! I will most definitely do these steps on my icon. Also, could you please tell me how to reimage my icon or post a link with the directions?

Last edited:

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

No wireless charging means hello Samsung Galaxy S6 or Galaxy Note 5 for me. I didn't wait this long for a Microsoft flagship to have features like this cut. Also it will be hard to convince me that an iris scanner is better than a fingerprint reader unless they can do something amazing with it.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

No wireless charging means hello Samsung Galaxy S6 or Galaxy Note 5 for me. I didn't wait this long for a Microsoft flagship to have features like this cut. Also it will be hard to convince me that an iris scanner is better than a fingerprint reader unless they can do something amazing with it.

Indeed. In fact, I don't fancy iris or fingerprint scanners at all. I need better camera, more memory options + micro SD support, no Hulk size phone (I'm looking at 1520). Don't need 4k screen or whatsoever as well. A FHD screen is more than enough.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I'd read that they would have qi.

Last edited:

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm a little worried about the success of the XL if indeed it will come with a snapdragon 810. Even the latest revision of the 810 (v2.1) is reported to have overheating issues. The Sony Xperia Z3+/Z4 is using the latest version and loses in benchmarks vs the original Z3 due to the heat issues. The heat is so bad that Japanese stores have posted warning signs next to the snapdragon 810 devices.
Japanese Xperia Z4 owners complain of heat issues | Xperia Blog

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you are alone. I am also concerned that the initial reports of problems seem to have been right, and that those problems persist.

The 5.2 inch device may benefit from having an 808 snapdragon, but st a cost to some performance.

Worse still, the rollout us likely to be staggered. Look at how long it took to get the 7 series on Verizon. By the time the 940/940xl hit all markets could be quite son time after the 820 Snapdragon devices hit the market.

It is a real shame that the 820 couldn't be included in the launch devices. Surely just going to arrive a bit late. If I was MS, I would seriously have considered going with the 820, even if it delayed the launch by a month or so. I imagine it is pegged for late September to late October. I'd happily wait until mid November to mid December.

By stalling a little, you gain a little more polish and tweaking. September/October is going to be dominated by Apple. Why throw a device containing an 810 Snapdragon and all its baggage, against that! Hit in late November with one of the first 820 devices and reap the kudos. Xiaomi are already rumoured to be releasing their 820 device in November.

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you are alone. I am also concerned that the initial reports of problems seem to have been right, and that those problems persist.

The 5.2 inch device may benefit from having an 808 snapdragon, but st a cost to some performance.

Worse still, the rollout us likely to be staggered. Look at how long it took to get the 7 series on Verizon. By the time the 940/940xl hit all markets could be quite son time after the 820 Snapdragon devices hit the market.

It is a real shame that the 820 couldn't be included in the launch devices. Surely just going to arrive a bit late. If I was MS, I would seriously have considered going with the 820, even if it delayed the launch by a month or so. I imagine it is pegged for late September to late October. I'd happily wait until mid November to mid December.

By stalling a little, you gain a little more polish and tweaking. September/October is going to be dominated by Apple. Why throw a device containing an 810 Snapdragon and all its baggage, against that! Hit in late November with one of the first 820 devices and reap the kudos. Xiaomi are already rumoured to be releasing their 820 device in November.

The lg g4 pro is rumored for a October release with a 820.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Man, that is both great news and a bit of a kick. Makes any flagship with an 810 even less noteworthy.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

The heating issues with the better processor can't be worse than the issues my icon has. I really need these new phones to come out and be great and hopefully able to work on Verizon or I'm getting a phone that isn't Windows.

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, launching the first ever flagship designed for Windows 10 and in fact, the first ever flagship by Microsoft, running the infamous Snapdragon 810 will be a total fail after all the press that processor had over the past six months... Not looking forward to it.

Microsoft, surprise us with 820.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

The 820 appears to have significant overheating problems and the revised 820 .1 whatever still has heating issues.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm thinking I should get the galaxy s6 and not even wait for Windows 10 phones. But I think I'll wait and see if the new lumias are better, otherwise hello s6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evan.mason5724