A former iPhone 4S user jumps to Lumia 900.

AkiraNakayama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
And here's my review. It's hastily written, so stick with me here...

First, a little background. I was one of the first to get the original iPhone when it launched back in 2007 and have stuck with the iDevice since then. Being in the design industry where a lot of studios and artists use Apple hardware, I was pretty ensconced in the entire ecosystem. iTunes this, AirPlay that, Mac Pro whatever. Blah blah blah. I loved how Apple was doing things differently and made the experience of buying, activating, and owning a cell phone so easily. I remember feeling like a piece of tomorrow was finally in my hands after the promises of tomorrow never materialized. I didn't have my hoverboard, my flying car, or my sexbot... but damn, I had a touchscreen camera/computer/phone in my pocket! And so it developed from there, this torrid love affair of technolustic (Don't worry, I know that isn't a word, either.) infatuation.

Then five years blurs by. The iPhone OS is branded iOS, the platform matures, and various competitors come and go. Now we have the major players everyone is familiar with. There's Apple, who rules with an iron fist. It's cohesive because it's one singular, insular vision. When they do things right, it's succinct, it flows, it works--- but when they get it wrong, there's little chance for change or compromise. There's Google, with their open platform. The promise of democratizing the smartphone experience and ecosystem. The place for innovation and tinkerers. But now the promise seems to be laden with fragmentation and an OS seemingly so inefficient that the hardware needs to push so much extra horsepower to make even the simplest maneuvers tolerable. Then, there's Microsoft. Most commonly the whipping boy of the hip, cool technophiles. A lumbering megaship with so much momentum that any effort to change course is met with the density of corporate bureaucracy seemingly bounded only by Redmond city limits. The new kid--- Windows Phone.

I grew tired of Apple's unwillingness to correct their mistakes. I disliked how they handled criticism. (Antennagate, flash, copy/paste, etc.) Their arbitrary and overbearing app approval process that bordered on censorship. (Shi t, I'd say it probably was. Say what you want about sexual content for apps or eBooks, but Apple makes Safari--- a veritable WINDOW to a twisted world of sex, violence, and subversive material.) iOS grew stale. Lion is a broken metaphor. Innovation seems to be on the backburner. So I started looking for other options.

Android was too bloated and, frankly, too similar. The geek-obsessive brother to Apple's too-cool-for-school iDevice.

Windows Phone? Now here's something interesting. So I preordered the Lumia 900 and picked it up on launch day. After using it for a while I realized something: Windows Phone is the Lotus Cars of the smartphone world. It stressed lightness and simplicity over horsepower and complicated doodads. Light overhead requires less power to make it move quickly. (I actually own a Lotus myself, so this philosophy really speaks to me.)

In short, I love WP7 Mango. It is not without it's faults, for sure. But I love how different it is. How integrated the social services are even though I don't even have a Twitter or Facebook account. I just like that it's there, on a matter of principal. Really, a few tweaks here and there and this platform will honestly be on equal footing.

But enough about the OS. The phone. To make a long story short, after owning the 900 for a week, I returned it and bought myself an 800. Why?

Here's a scattershot of thoughts. Well, for one, it was too big. I've got small hands. And the larger screen doesn't net you any more resolution since all WP7 phones are mandated to be 800x480. In fact, all the major specs across all WP7 phones are largely the same. Camera sensors and optics may be different. But I came from an iPhone 4S, widely regarded as one of the best camera phones on the market. I work in digital media for a living (motion graphic artist, visual effects, compositing, photography.) and the iPhone 4S camera and screen were great. The 900's camera and screen are sub-par to say the least. The screen, while bright, contrasty, and saturated, was poor. The dynamic range was garbage, you lost all the subtlety in the shadows--- shadow details would just clip to black. It was like walking into Best Buy and seeing all the plasma screens pumped up to 11 to sell Average Joe on "wow, look how colorful and bright and punchy this TV is!". Colors were not true--- the creamy orange hues of a sunset turned into burnt browns. And that "rattling vibrate function" that reviewers complain about? It's not that it rattles or is loose, it's just weak and short in duration. Pick up an HTC handset and press the home button, then do the same with a Lumia handset, you'll see what I mean. The volume, lock and camera buttons on the side do not have a positive engagement or click. Not like the Titan2 or iPhone 4S. LTE is a big selling point for the 900 but AT&T hasn't rolled it out in my area and won't for a while. By the time they do, Windows Phone 8 will be out along with a slew of new devices which will probably replace whatever device I have now anyway. Internet tethering is BS in that I have to pay for seperate, special, tethering data? Thanks, AT&T, here's some more lube, f uck us harder would you please?

So I returned it for a refund and bought myself a Lumia 800. Smaller form factor. Feels nicer in hand and pocket. Side buttons have a more positive feel. It has the cool curved screen. Specs are basically exactly the same. Doesn't have LTE but I can't get it here anyway. Pentile screen doesn't bother me. I would rather have this than a large screen with the same resolution. I do wish the 800 didn't have the fragile trap door for the micro USB port, but whatever, I can live with that. Camera is still garbage but the camera has stopped being a factor for me at this point.

Basically, the 900 wasn't different enough from the 800 to warrant having a giant slab of polycarbonite in my pocket. Seriously, look at a comparison chart between the two.

Nokia Lumia 900 vs Lumia 800 ?€“ Specs Comparison Table - SymbianTweet

The differences are minor. Where it does differ, I don't want/need or downright can't use the "upgrades" on the 900.

Plus, the 800 is unlocked.

I do miss my iPhone 4S. I used it as a point and shoot. (It was awesome.) I used it to run diagnostics on my car through the OBD-II port. (Through the Rev app.) And it's just a sweet little piece of industrial design. But I'm tired of Apple. So now, as my girlfriend joked, my iDevice has multiplied into three different devices. I now have a separate digital cam, a Lumia 800, and an iPod touch to interface with my car. (I installed a supercharger and need to monitor various metrics for tuning, as well running diagnostics, clearing codes, etc. and those apps are only available for iOS.) But, you know what? I like this whole Windows Phone concept. Looking at the bigger picture of Windows 8, their touch interface commitment/gamble, how everything will integrate with WP8 and Xbox.... I am beginning to sense a cohesive vision here.

Maybe it's not here right now, but I can see the potential future Microsoft is building. And I'm very excited.

Sorry for the long post. I know it's not organized, but it's most everything I could think of.

Last edited:

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Great review. I am doing the exact same thing as you. The Lumia 800 is scheduled to be her tomorrow.

Did you move your sim from the 900 to the 800 afterwards or switch to a different phone before you had the 800?

AkiraNakayama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I returned my 900 first, then reinstalled the sim card into my iPhone 4S. It took me a bit to find an 800 on eBay. When it arrived (today) I just swapped my sim card from my 4S to my 800.

Will probably put the iPhone 4S up for sale now...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
TBH, the review got a little fuzzy after the statement "I actually own a Lotus" materialized... The Exige is my dream car. (the supercharged 265, not the planned V6 abomination) I have long thought of WP as the Lotus of smartphones as well, and would also rather have the 800. The screen isn't the issue for me, however; at least size-wise. I currently own an HD7 (4.3" screen) and have no problems using it one-handed. Apart from the SIM door, the design of the 800 is superior. (curved screen, better in hand feel, etc) If the 800 had an FFC I wouldn't even care that the 900 exists.

Also, welcome to WP!!

chanhuk

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm jumping back to the 4S as soon as Nokia gives me my $100 rebate. Just little quirks of WP7 that just irritates me like having to swipe down to get the status bar or no status bar at all in apps. The low resolution is also annoying when reading text, but the colors are much more vibrant and have more pop to it. The "retina" display is still the benchmark display?

My only gripe with iOS is the lack of flash but it seems like the market is heading away from flash (WP doesn't support it either). Apps are there, but once you jailbreak an iOS device a whole new world is opened up to you, makes it much more customizable without sacrificing performance.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I like your post OP. You have a nice writing style too might I add. I really don't like reading long posts, but your was done effectively, thus keeping me interested.

I love my 900. It's my first WP device. I checked out the 800 at the microsoft store and liked it, but there were a few things I didn't/don't like.

The curved screen: It's a preference thing, but I like a flat screen. people make a big deal about the little raised screen. That's not a big deal.

Pentile: Also preference and vision thing. When I can tell it's pentile, I don't like it.

Network: I live in a 4G LTE area, so that was a factor in my decision

Retractable door: Hear stories about the nature of this thing and didn't want that.

Battery: I don't know about everyone else, but my battery on the 900 lasts me all day long.

I do like the 800 though. I wish that companies would make phones release at relatively the same time equal in all aspects except form factor and size. I think we would all be happy then. I've owned the first iphone, all the way up to the iphone 4. I can't say that I miss it much. I hold those phones and I can't type on them because they are too small and I squint or put the screen closer to my face watching videos on it. I have big hands, so a 4.3 screen is the smallest I'd go. I would have gotten a Titan 2, but I didn't know if their antennas would be worse than the Nokia, because I think Nokia has the best antennas around and I used to say that about HTC until I owned this 900. And I've have Motorola and Samsung phones. They don't compare to Nokia in my opinion. And that just my opinion alone.

In your job field, yeah I'd say the Lumia line wont suffice. I'm a bit disappointed in the low light performance. Would be nice to have a better "capture the moment" type of camera.

Again, I enjoyed your post and respect you decision! That was one of the better non-biased posts this forum has had.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Full screen apps > info that is rarely needed being displayed all the time, taking up space.

Have fun with your stone-age OS :)

I can't say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm jumping back to the 4S as soon as Nokia gives me my $100 rebate. Just little quirks of WP7 that just irritates me like having to swipe down to get the status bar or no status bar at all in apps. The low resolution is also annoying when reading text, but the colors are much more vibrant and have more pop to it. The "retina" display is still the benchmark display?

My only gripe with iOS is the lack of flash but it seems like the market is heading away from flash (WP doesn't support it either). Apps are there, but once you jailbreak an iOS device a whole new world is opened up to you, makes it much more customizable without sacrificing performance.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing about the 900 verses 800 for me besides screen size is the front facing camera. The 800 doesn't have one. Pretty sad when the Radar and Focus-Flash (similar screen size) came out about the same time and they do have one.

thenet

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
iphone sucks

Lol FYI the 800 battery issue already been fix digest. For you go back to piece of crap iPhone 4s a biggest mistake. Also do u know you can't send multiple pictures using iPhone email which is a total joke yup awesome windows phone can send multiple pictures without leaving your email.

thenet

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I couldn't knowingly go to a phone that has big battery issues (800)
Hahaha battery issues been fix already. Also do u know you can't send multiple pictures using iPhone email which is a total joke yup awesome windows phone can send multiple pictures without leaving your email.

thenet

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
And here's my review. It's hastily written, so stick with me here...

First, a little background. I was one of the first to get the original iPhone when it launched back in 2007 and have stuck with the iDevice since then. Being in the design industry where a lot of studios and artists use Apple hardware, I was pretty ensconced in the entire ecosystem. iTunes this, AirPlay that, Mac Pro whatever. Blah blah blah. I loved how Apple was doing things differently and made the experience of buying, activating, and owning a cell phone so easily. I remember feeling like a piece of tomorrow was finally in my hands after the promises of tomorrow never materialized. I didn't have my hoverboard, my flying car, or my sexbot... but damn, I had a touchscreen camera/computer/phone in my pocket! And so it developed from there, this torrid love affair of technolustic (Don't worry, I know that isn't a word, either.) infatuation.

Then five years blurs by. The iPhone OS is branded iOS, the platform matures, and various competitors come and go. Now we have the major players everyone is familiar with. There's Apple, who rules with an iron fist. It's cohesive because it's one singular, insular vision. When they do things right, it's succinct, it flows, it works--- but when they get it wrong, there's little chance for change or compromise. There's Google, with their open platform. The promise of democratizing the smartphone experience and ecosystem. The place for innovation and tinkerers. But now the promise seems to be laden with fragmentation and an OS seemingly so inefficient that the hardware needs to push so much extra horsepower to make even the simplest maneuvers tolerable. Then, there's Microsoft. Most commonly the whipping boy of the hip, cool technophiles. A lumbering megaship with so much momentum that any effort to change course is met with the density of corporate bureaucracy seemingly bounded only by Redmond city limits. The new kid--- Windows Phone.

I grew tired of Apple's unwillingness to correct their mistakes. I disliked how they handled criticism. (Antennagate, flash, copy/paste, etc.) Their arbitrary and overbearing app approval process that bordered on censorship. (Shi t, I'd say it probably was. Say what you want about sexual content for apps or eBooks, but Apple makes Safari--- a veritable WINDOW to a twisted world of sex, violence, and subversive material.) iOS grew stale. Lion is a broken metaphor. Innovation seems to be on the backburner. So I started looking for other options.

Android was too bloated and, frankly, too similar. The geek-obsessive brother to Apple's too-cool-for-school iDevice.

Windows Phone? Now here's something interesting. So I preordered the Lumia 900 and picked it up on launch day. After using it for a while I realized something: Windows Phone is the Lotus Cars of the smartphone world. It stressed lightness and simplicity over horsepower and complicated doodads. Light overhead requires less power to make it move quickly. (I actually own a Lotus myself, so this philosophy really speaks to me.)

In short, I love WP7 Mango. It is not without it's faults, for sure. But I love how different it is. How integrated the social services are even though I don't even have a Twitter or Facebook account. I just like that it's there, on a matter of principal. Really, a few tweaks here and there and this platform will honestly be on equal footing.

But enough about the OS. The phone. To make a long story short, after owning the 900 for a week, I returned it and bought myself an 800. Why?

Here's a scattershot of thoughts. Well, for one, it was too big. I've got small hands. And the larger screen doesn't net you any more resolution since all WP7 phones are mandated to be 800x480. In fact, all the major specs across all WP7 phones are largely the same. Camera sensors and optics may be different. But I came from an iPhone 4S, widely regarded as one of the best camera phones on the market. I work in digital media for a living (motion graphic artist, visual effects, compositing, photography.) and the iPhone 4S camera and screen were great. The 900's camera and screen are sub-par to say the least. The screen, while bright, contrasty, and saturated, was poor. The dynamic range was garbage, you lost all the subtlety in the shadows--- shadow details would just clip to black. It was like walking into Best Buy and seeing all the plasma screens pumped up to 11 to sell Average Joe on "wow, look how colorful and bright and punchy this TV is!". Colors were not true--- the creamy orange hues of a sunset turned into burnt browns. And that "rattling vibrate function" that reviewers complain about? It's not that it rattles or is loose, it's just weak and short in duration. Pick up an HTC handset and press the home button, then do the same with a Lumia handset, you'll see what I mean. The volume, lock and camera buttons on the side do not have a positive engagement or click. Not like the Titan2 or iPhone 4S. LTE is a big selling point for the 900 but AT&T hasn't rolled it out in my area and won't for a while. By the time they do, Windows Phone 8 will be out along with a slew of new devices which will probably replace whatever device I have now anyway. Internet tethering is BS in that I have to pay for seperate, special, tethering data? Thanks, AT&T, here's some more lube, f uck us harder would you please?

So I returned it for a refund and bought myself a Lumia 800. Smaller form factor. Feels nicer in hand and pocket. Side buttons have a more positive feel. It has the cool curved screen. Specs are basically exactly the same. Doesn't have LTE but I can't get it here anyway. Pentile screen doesn't bother me. I would rather have this than a large screen with the same resolution. I do wish the 800 didn't have the fragile trap door for the micro USB port, but whatever, I can live with that. Camera is still garbage but the camera has stopped being a factor for me at this point.

Basically, the 900 wasn't different enough from the 800 to warrant having a giant slab of polycarbonite in my pocket. Seriously, look at a comparison chart between the two.

Nokia Lumia 900 vs Lumia 800 ?€“ Specs Comparison Table - SymbianTweet

The differences are minor. Where it does differ, I don't want/need or downright can't use the "upgrades" on the 900.

Plus, the 800 is unlocked.

I do miss my iPhone 4S. I used it as a point and shoot. (It was awesome.) I used it to run diagnostics on my car through the OBD-II port. (Through the Rev app.) And it's just a sweet little piece of industrial design. But I'm tired of Apple. So now, as my girlfriend joked, my iDevice has multiplied into three different devices. I now have a separate digital cam, a Lumia 800, and an iPod touch to interface with my car. (I installed a supercharger and need to monitor various metrics for tuning, as well running diagnostics, clearing codes, etc. and those apps are only available for iOS.) But, you know what? I like this whole Windows Phone concept. Looking at the bigger picture of Windows 8, their touch interface commitment/gamble, how everything will integrate with WP8 and Xbox.... I am beginning to sense a cohesive vision here.

Maybe it's not here right now, but I can see the potential future Microsoft is building. And I'm very excited.

Sorry for the long post. I know it's not organized, but it's most everything I could think of.
Also do u know you can't send multiple pictures using iPhone email which is a total joke yup awesome windows phone can send multiple pictures without leaving your email.

AkiraNakayama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Also do u know you can't send multiple pictures using iPhone email which is a total joke yup awesome windows phone can send multiple pictures without leaving your email.

Wait, I can't tell if this is trolling or not...

You actually CAN send multiple images in an email. Not sure when they implemented that, but it's been AWHILE now.

Also, yes, the 800's battery issue has been allegedly sorted. Although, while I have updated to the latest firmware on my 800, the battery-life is still iffy. I will need to play with it some more to find out if it's my usage patterns or firmware that is still causing the phone to dip to 25% by late afternoon.

But let's unpack what "piece of crap phone" means when referring to the iPhone.

The hardware of the iPhone 4S itself is top notch. Obviously, whether or not you find the design of the 4S to be pleasing is subjective (although it is widely considered quite the eye-catching design), but the build quality and level of components comprising the 4S is such that it stands solidly amongst the rarefied upper echelon of smart phones currently available; it still sets a benchmark. Now, the operating system and ecosystem on the other hand? That we can definitely have an argument about; the way Apple stewards its culture of apps is arguable; the way Apple is so slow to implement seemingly obvious features is arguable (copy/paste anyone?); the way Apple deals with criticism and customer response is arguable. The notion that the iPhone is not beyond criticism is ****** proselytizing; there are many things we can harp on when analyzing the so called Jesus Phone, but I'd venture to say that hardware isn't one of them.

Now that I've had the 800 for a few days, I am experiencing a few really annoying issues at the same time getting over smaller issues. The Pentile screen is less than ideal but I hardly notice it now; it's no iPhone 4S or HTC One X but it'll suffice. The fragile USB door is something I've come to terms with as well, just gotta be careful when it's charging. The ONE thing that is really chapping my @$$, though, is the weird screen scrolling issue. The screen registers random tapping, sometimes in rapid succession, when I am scrolling. This results in the screen rapidly zooming in and out at random, rendering web browsing (or any other kind of browsing, really) nigh impossible. It seems to come and go, getting better at times, getting worse at others. I've chatted with Nokia tech support about this and they informed me the phone is still under factory warranty (thanks be to whatever god/s one may believe in) and I can send it in for repair. Of course this means I will be without a phone for a week and a half and who the f uck knows if they'll even fix the issue completely/properly.

C'mon, Nokia. I really want to believe! Get on the ball!

Last edited:

AkiraNakayama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
TBH, the review got a little fuzzy after the statement "I actually own a Lotus" materialized... The Exige is my dream car. (the supercharged 265, not the planned V6 abomination) I have long thought of WP as the Lotus of smartphones as well, and would also rather have the 800. The screen isn't the issue for me, however; at least size-wise. I currently own an HD7 (4.3" screen) and have no problems using it one-handed. Apart from the SIM door, the design of the 800 is superior. (curved screen, better in hand feel, etc) If the 800 had an FFC I wouldn't even care that the 900 exists.

Also, welcome to WP!!

Haha, well then you'll like the fact that mine is a N/A 2006 model without the crappy factory supercharger system. Why? Because I installed the BOE Fabrication Rev300 kit in it. Lighter weight, less complexity (relative to the Lotus factory supercharger system) AND it makes way more power than any of the Lotus factory specials EVER did. POOOOWEEEERRRR!

Also, I agree about the V6 abomination. Although, Monkey Wrench Racing was able to squeeze a V6 from the Camry into the back of the Elise with relative ease. Weight penalty is negligible AND you get better gas mileage, apparently. I can't imagine the kind of butt-mashing power that kind of torque would produce in a 1950lb car. AND they're supercharging it, too. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice comparison OP. I'm a long time iPhone user as well; have the 4 because didn't think the 4S was enough of an upgrade to spend money on.

I have to agree with you on the size. I too find that the Lumia 900 is just a tad too large for my taste. Still have some trouble getting a good handle on it one handed sometimes. I checked out the 800 at the MS store as well but the screen was meh and I also happen to prefer the flat screen of the 900. If Nokia released a Lumia with the non-pentile screen of the 900 that is 4" that would be my dream phone.

Also, nice reply above to thenet. Again agree 100% with your iPhone assessment.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the club!

I definitely see the appeal of the smaller size of the 800.

My 900 is a *little* bigger than I'd like. If Nokia could make a 4" screen, sized somewhere between the two, only with the curved glass of the 800 and the SuperAMOLED+ screen, radio and battery life of the 900, that would have been perfect for me.

As it was, I had to choose and for me I couldn't give up the battery life and LTE for curved glass. The SuperAMOLED+ is just a bonus, but it's a very nice one at that.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with any Lumia. 710, 800 or 900. Glad to have you as a member of the tribe!

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the club!

I definitely see the appeal of the smaller size of the 800.

My 900 is a *little* bigger than I'd like. If Nokia could make a 4" screen, sized somewhere between the two, only with the curved glass of the 800 and the SuperAMOLED+ screen, radio and battery life of the 900, that would have been perfect for me.

As it was, I had to choose and for me I couldn't give up the battery life and LTE for curved glass. The SuperAMOLED+ is just a bonus, but it's a very nice one at that.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with any Lumia. 710, 800 or 900. Glad to have you as a member of the tribe!

Yea I should add in that LTE also a factor in sticking with the 900. I'm actually in the process of convincing my parents to get the Lumia 710 on Tmobile. My mom just won't give up her BB. And my dad...well...he's actually rocking a Nokia flip phone that I can't even remember how old it is at this point.