A Newer Design: Apps List + Notification Center Concept, Take Two

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think this is what Microsoft should exactly do, unless they come up with a neater idea. But neater than this? Microsoft guys? Come on! :D

I am pretty sure they will use the right-swipe in their design. I just hope the iOS and Android urge to make the notification center accessible from everywhere won't push them toward an unoriginal pull-down shade.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is obvious you guys have put a lot of thought into this, while also understanding WP's underlying principles and concepts (me-tile being the social-you, not the technical). IMHO this is by far the best notification center design out there. Well done! If I were a manager at MS, I would sign off on this.

pnhd

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apps List + Notification Center concept: Take Two

I like it, that's sort of how Nokia did it in Meego and it just fits with WP. How would you delete just some notifications rather than all? I think the best way is via the box ticking feature that exists in the messaging hub. Very familiar and easy to use as it already exists in the OS.
swype them away individually or check them all like in the concept above.
also have notifications accessible directly from the lockscreen like nokia did in meego.
and a little bit off-topic but please some tile grouping on the home screen just like in win8

Saljen

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Great concept! I think it would be cool if the "chat bubble" next to each notification only showed new, unread notifications. That way you know which ones you haven't gotten to yet, and the ones without the chat bubble stay in the list to present a sort of "time-line" for your received notifications. Just my two cents, but great work and I would love to see Microsoft incorporate something like this!

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Great concept! I think it would be cool if the "chat bubble" next to each notification only showed new, unread notifications. That way you know which ones you haven't gotten to yet, and the ones without the chat bubble stay in the list to present a sort of "time-line" for your received notifications. Just my two cents, but great work and I would love to see Microsoft incorporate something like this!

That's how it is supposed to work. As I explained earlier in the post, the "mark all as read" menu item resets the counter for all apps, and removes the bubbles so you know when you have new notifications pending.

JD Miles

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well done, now if we could find a way for the policy makers to "take the time" to notice your well thought out examples. I have voted for this in the past.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I like this but it's got one big problem, you cannot combine notifications from a single app and show a number. This simply repeats the problem that live tiles have. Each notification is it's own record and I need to be able to see what the toast from my app was 3 toasts ago. If you combine them, it's useless. Notification center is key for seeing a timeline of events, showing the most recent is already accomplished by the home screen.

codoz57

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
How hard would it be to have a tri-coloured LED (blink intermittently).
Green = fully charged
Red = Low Battery
Orange = Missed call, Message or SMS

Nothing worse than having to turn you phone on to see if you missed anything. That's one of the things I liked about the BB10 along with being able to switch and or terminate tasks.

Nagarjuna Reddy

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That's how it is supposed to work. As I explained earlier in the post, the "mark all as read" menu item resets the counter for all apps, and removes the bubbles so you know when you have new notifications pending.

Firstly your idea is really nice, clean and simple.

Regarding the 'Mark all as read' should just fade of old notifications... and still should be clickable (May be used as a shortcut to launch the app).
This way, none of the apps would not need to be changed again (Already tired of missing apps from WP7 :( ).
Reason is Notification center would also be a place to indicate past events (with some row limit); This way WP might avoid some patent trolls.

And Lastly, A shortcut ('W' + '<--') should get the user to this Notification center at any point in time.

onedrummer2401

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It's really well designed but I still think it should be accessible from anywhere, not just the start screen. What if, whenever you went to the multitasking view, the card to the right of your card was the notification pane? Accessible from everywhere, doesn't conflict with paradigms and easy to add in.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I like this but it's got one big problem, you cannot combine notifications from a single app and show a number. This simply repeats the problem that live tiles have. Each notification is it's own record and I need to be able to see what the toast from my app was 3 toasts ago. If you combine them, it's useless. Notification center is key for seeing a timeline of events, showing the most recent is already accomplished by the home screen.

I think you missed the point. Tapping each item there would open a list of all toast messages from that certain app. The numbers only show how many new toast messages you have missed. Tapping the item would show you the list, and clear the "balloon". This system keeps an archive of all toast messages; they are not deleted after you view them.

Also, the app that produced the most recent toast message would go to the top of the list (as is evidenced by the time stamp below each item) which would still show you which one is the most recent.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
How hard would it be to have a tri-coloured LED (blink intermittently).
Green = fully charged
Red = Low Battery
Orange = Missed call, Message or SMS

Nothing worse than having to turn you phone on to see if you missed anything. That's one of the things I liked about the BB10 along with being able to switch and or terminate tasks.

What if the white lights behind the Home, Back and Search "breathe" slowly when you have a new event pending ;)

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Firstly your idea is really nice, clean and simple.

Regarding the 'Mark all as read' should just fade of old notifications... and still should be clickable (May be used as a shortcut to launch the app).
This way, none of the apps would not need to be changed again (Already tired of missing apps from WP7 :( ).
Reason is Notification center would also be a place to indicate past events (with some row limit); This way WP might avoid some patent trolls.

And Lastly, A shortcut ('W' + '<--') should get the user to this Notification center at any point in time.

As I mentioned in the post, after viewing the list of toast messages by tapping on app's name, the app will stay in the list, allowing you to see the archive of messages it produced. Viewing the notifications just removes the balloons so you can know when you have new notifications you haven't seen yet.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It's really well designed but I still think it should be accessible from anywhere, not just the start screen. What if, whenever you went to the multitasking view, the card to the right of your card was the notification pane? Accessible from everywhere, doesn't conflict with paradigms and easy to add in.

It is justified for the Back button to open the multitasking view, because the Back button's job is to take you through different apps and hubs you viewed. But why would the Back button get you to the notification center? They are not semantically related.

I really don't think the notification center needs to be accessible from everywhere. That might be the case with Android because it doesn't show you toast messages; however, in Windows Phone if you are using your phone, you see the toast message when something happens. If you are not using it, the phone is most likely locked which would be showing the lock screen notifications (the 5 icons) or is in the home screen -- and the notification center will be quickly accessible from there.

Now if they implemented the "breathing" notification LED idea (the LED behind the Home button would be breathing if there are new, unseen toasts) then the user would know they have new notification no matter where in the UI they are.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
You sir, just showed me the most beautiful notification system of all the mobile OSes I've seen so far, thank you for that!

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Another cool way to access the notifications may be to add the same idea to the actual toasts (not sure if this was mentioned). as a new notification arrives while your using the phone. tap to enter that notification, swipe left to dismiss (just from the screen, keep the notification as unread)...but add a swipe the other way to go to the same notification center. This way the full center is accessible while your using your phone and not at the homescreen. The only time you'd want this functionality is when a new notification appears anyways...

JustinXinLiu

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi AgentTheGreat, firstly, great work! :)

I wonder if you want your Notification Centre to be accessible within an app? My only concern is, if so then the swipe gesture would need to start from the left edge of the screen. Personally I think this gesture should be saved for switching between apps just like what you do with WinRT tablets.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss