Advice Regarding Possible Career Change

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I thought it would make sense to get some feedback from my fellow WP peeps and from those who work within the industry. I'd like to find out what is required to work as an account manager, selling smartphones to retailers/carriers?

I have sales experience, but don't have any I.T qualifications. Ideally, I'd aim for Nokia as Windows Phone is my passion and I have pretty reasonable knowledge of the platform.

Are there any courses I could study in my spare time or do peeps think that is even necessary?

I'm really just looking for the first port of call and an idea of what approach I should take...

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

:)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine that IT experience would be necessary unless you're looking to do repair work too. I think being a user of multiple platforms and a working knowledge of the capabilities of each phone would serve you better... and that's just reading and playing.

The hard part, I would think, is being able to sell products you don't like. You know, being able to put aside personal biases about the devices you're selling. For example, just because you know the HTC HD7 is awesome isn't going to help you sell the iPhone to a customer who is determined to have the "white one with bigger G-B's and the Wi-Fi's".

On the other hand, it's a good opportunity to help steer new smartphone buyers and disgruntled smartphone owners towards a good option (Windows Phone, of course). :D

But as I scan back over your post, you said to carriers/retailers, so maybe I'm confused on what path you're looking to take, and all I just wrote is totally off base. Looking forward to see where this goes, and whatever path you take, I wish you success! :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind working in the mobile industry, but I have a pretty solid job right now, so I'm not going to do something like sell phones for Verizon. I'm trying to learn app development right now, so I'll see where that takes me.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine that IT experience would be necessary unless you're looking to do repair work too. I think being a user of multiple platforms and a working knowledge of the capabilities of each phone would serve you better... and that's just reading and playing.

The hard part, I would think, is being able to sell products you don't like. You know, being able to put aside personal biases about the devices you're selling. For example, just because you know the HTC HD7 is awesome isn't going to help you sell the iPhone to a customer who is determined to have the "white one with bigger G-B's and the Wi-Fi's".

On the other hand, it's a good opportunity to help steer new smartphone buyers and disgruntled smartphone owners towards a good option (Windows Phone, of course). :D

But as I scan back over your post, you said to carriers/retailers, so maybe I'm confused on what path you're looking to take, and all I just wrote is totally off base. Looking forward to see where this goes, and whatever path you take, I wish you success! :)

Yeah, as much as I would enjoy working on a shop floor as a retail sales rep, the pay and working every weekend isn't appealing. :)

I wouldn't mind working in the mobile industry, but I have a pretty solid job right now, so I'm not going to do something like sell phones for Verizon. I'm trying to learn app development right now, so I'll see where that takes me.

Sounds great - good luck with the developing the inner dev! You have your first beta-tester waiting right here. :D

BTW, just to clarify, in comparison, I would be selling devices to Verizon - not for them. :)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
BTW, just to clarify, in comparison, I would be selling devices to Verizon - not for them. :)

LOL, good clarification! I don't even know how you'd get involved in that... but then again, maybe it's the same except to a group of suits instead of customers.

I believe the biggest key is always know your product and show confidence in it.

Maybe you could contact Nokia and find out from them.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, as much as I would enjoy working on a shop floor as a retail sales rep, the pay and working every weekend isn't appealing. :)

Sounds great - good luck with the developing the inner dev! You have your first beta-tester waiting right here. :D

Selling devices to Verizon would be much better! I worked at Wal-Mart several years while in college and I just don't have the patience for ignorant customers any more, so selling phones to people would probably put me on medicine.

The developing stuff is going to take a while. I've got some books and I'm trying to work my way through them, although progress is slow.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with that, Supes. So few people get to do what they enjoy. Hope it works out.

I imagine this line of work- selling to carriers- has to require quite a bit of background. Let us know what you find out. AFTER you get the job, of course, that way none of these people try to bump you out of your dream job.....

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Snowmutt. I'll keep you guys posted on any progress I make. Will put a few calls in to various recruitment consultants who deal in that field and hopefully that'll uncover the info needed. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish you success.

They probably want to also see a history of business to business sales success.

I would also imagine that if you're trying to work for a particular company, like Nokia, then they would want to see a history of evangelism on your part and probably some indication of your level of general influence. If you can somehow establish yourself as a "name" in the industry, it would help.

If you have a blog or site that could help.

I actually know of someone that markets for Nokia that used to have a decent sized following for iPhone related stuff.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Winning Guy.

I have a pretty reasonable track record in b2b sales and have past experience working as a financial advisor (ok with numbers).

I'll explore the different ways in which I can establish a name within the industry...

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb