Advice wanted: Is there a risk in staying with Windows 10 Mobile after support ends?

Philip Livingstone

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 925 running Windows 10 Mobile.

As nothing can run on it unless it comes from the Windows App Store, and what apps do run, are run in their own space, are there any actual risks to staying with it after Microsoft finishes support?

The fact is, that I am quite happy with it, have no need of any new apps, and only use as a HotSpot for NOW TV/BBC iPlayer (etc.) and for browsing sites such as:

• YouTube
  • Google Search
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Mail,
  • MS Outlook/OneDrive
  • Amazon,
  • eBay,
  • PayPal,
  • secure bank sites
  • Wikipedia
  • News sites like BBC News/Weather, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph

So are there any big risks I should consider apart from soneone saying my phone is out of date (NOT an iPhone / NOT a Samsung Galaxy)?

Thanks

Philip

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
the only thing I can see happening is apps no longer working... like WhatsApp and even MSFT's own APPs would probably stop working... so if you're already not an APP person and are using just the web variants of those you mentioned in your post, then I don't think you will have anything to worry about... but just do like I'm doing and have a back up of ADroid or Iphone variant phone to fall back on...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I would say that the risks are quite reduced, from the simple fact that no one is really going to bother targeting a system that has almost no users.

The browser is the only app which can cause problems, if it isn't being supported. The bigger problem there I think will be that it being edgehtml version of edge, there's a high likelihood of websites not functioning properly with MS going to chromium for edge.

Apart from that, all the baked in functions appear to be mostly working well, if you can look past most apps, then it will still work fine. There may come a point where MS will stop supporting some server side functions though.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950XL, which has become my spare phone. I also have an old 830 with a non-functioning rear camera, and stuck on 8.1/Denim, that's now mainly for listening music. Both are SIM-less.
I guess my 830 is already reached its dead end.
I still get plenty joy with the 950XL for the outstanding camera and being a PC on continuum. I guess if I move my Office365 away to current a android phone I'll use my WP even less.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 925 running Windows 10 Mobile.

As nothing can run on it unless it comes from the Windows App Store, and what apps do run, are run in their own space, are there any actual risks to staying with it after Microsoft finishes support?

The fact is, that I am quite happy with it, have no need of any new apps, and only use as a HotSpot for NOW TV/BBC iPlayer (etc.) and for browsing sites such as:

• YouTube
  • Google Search
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Mail,
  • MS Outlook/OneDrive
  • Amazon,
  • eBay,
  • PayPal,
  • secure bank sites
  • Wikipedia
  • News sites like BBC News/Weather, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph

So are there any big risks I should consider apart from soneone saying my phone is out of date (NOT an iPhone / NOT a Samsung Galaxy)?

Thanks

Philip

It'll be safer than an Android phone that's no longer getting security/os updates..... windows mobile does a great job of sandboxing apps.... plus you can only get them through the MS store (which is much stricter than the Google play store), and as the apps go away less risk for you as a user ;-) Plus nobody's going to target windows phones because there's not enough of them still being used to make it worth it.

The biggest issue is like somebody else mentioned, depending on what Microsoft does you might eventually end up with a phone that makes calls and texts and that could be about it.

My wife got a warning a week or so ago from her Facebook messenger that it would stop working on her windows phone on the 30th of June. She's the most diehard windows phone user I've ever met, but she uses Facebook for her business so this was the final straw. We're going to be ordering her an Android phone in the next couple days :O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs