Afraid to get a 950 or XL - Surface phone coming?

Dormph

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I'd love to buy one but I'm afraid. Rumors of the Surface Phone prevents me from buying one. I'd hate to fork over the money and 6 months - 1 year later there's a new Surface Phone. I bought a smart phone in the past and I was on a plan to pay off for 2 years. I don't want that. I don't want to be stuck.

I paid off my Galaxy S4 and you know what I did? I bought a Lumia 640 when it was $30. Love it. Should I buy a 950 or wait?

Thanks for looking.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If the Lumia 640 is working decent for you, I would say wait. However, there is still a possibility that you can buy the 950 secondhand and sell it to get the Surface phone. It is possible that it can be delayed though, we have seen that happen too.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Go for the Lumia 950,I'm on production build,all smooth,getting cumulative updates every 2nd Tuesday of every month,got one today,coming from Lumia 1020,I have no regrets ,you cam grab one from 1shopmobile,they have great prices, been purchasing unlocked Lumia's from them for years , check link for Lumia 950

Microsoft Lumia 950 LTE

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
While there's no good x86 mobile SoC in the near future, I don't see there will be any fundamental difference in surface phone. Also its healthy for the companies to release flagship device at least every year of not every six month, so yes its impossible to keep your phone as a state-of-art device during your contact period (even iPhone couldn't do that) - don't take the crazy slow develop pace of wp8/bb10 as normal - the mobile world is just nothing like the car world which a model can live few years before it receive an update.

So, if you feel 950 is what you want or you are in a hurry to upgrade, go for it. If you have a doubt or you are not in a hurry then you wait, simple as that. Its just a phone, a consumable product instead of an investment.

slerched

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 950 XL. I was coming from a 1020 that was 2 years old, and had taken a HECK of a beating. Plus the battery life had gone down considerably.

I got the free dock, and the free Office 365 for a year, and I have a phone that's flagship quality and works well. No regrets.

If I had a 640 though, considering it's a new variant, and thought that the Surface Phone really would release (as others have said, x86 SoC doesn't have a really good solution at the moment), I'd hold off.

If your 640 is dying, then might be another reason to upgrade "now" as well.

Otherwise, patience is a virtue I guess.

KMarieHan

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I went from a 640 to the 950XL when Microsoft was having the BOGO sale - performance is much better on the 950 with Windows 10, and the camera is stellar - it will also support tap-to-pay in the Anniversary update. Rumor suggests that the Surface Phone won't be released until spring or summer 2017, but I guess they might surprise us in the fall. It will likely be business-oriented - the camera wont be great. Either way you can probably find a good 950 secondhand if you don't want to wait (probably) another year.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
As others have mentioned, new phones come out pretty much once a year. Despite loving my 950, I am really hoping the Surface phone comes out in about a year's time, sporting a docking station with a graphics card slot, (like the Razer Core), possibly even a desktop processor for docked use, and a laptop companion, like the HP Elite X3's awesome mobile extender.

If you think a surface phone (what we think it will be, anyway) will be more useful to you than a 950, and your current phone works, no harm in waiting. Otherwise, the 950 is a great phone.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
there's nothing coming, 950 is already down to about 300$ new on ebay, get that or wait till it goes lower, believe me it will

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
These last 9mos, with all the updates to W10M, its been like getting a new phone every month/week/couple of days.

A Surface II will be "coming soon" a month after the Surface I is released (if not before), vicious circle; just buy what you need. Chances are you will be looking over the fence a month after you get WHATEVER you decide on.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Just get it. It so inexpensive now. I don't think a so called Surface Phone will bring anything to the table that I can't live without for at least a couple of years.

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I bought 950 XL couple of months ago when Microsoft was giving 950 together for free and I am very happy with it

I had your same thoughts about the possibility to wait for a Surface phone, but i changed my mind because of both the 950XL+950 offer and the thought that the first batch of Surface phones might have small defects that might be corrected with future revisions (there's always the risk to be fair, but if you buy the very first model of anything the risk is higher)

if you can find a good offer for 950XL/950 go for it, if not I think you can keep up with your 640 and wait until the first Surface phones are out

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It could be postponed to summer of 2017. That's a long wait. And this will be first generation who knows how many issues there will be. I would wait to see what other OEMs release. The alcatel idol 4s pro looks pretty nice. I'm sure more OEMs will be releasing other phones. I would go with the hp elite x3 if you want something to last you long. The snapdragon 820 is a much better chip than the 810. Who knows if the price will drop after a few months.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting to see what the Surface phone will bring, ive already replaced the worn out battery in my Lumia 930 to keep it going. The 930 is still working perfectly fine for me.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Great input from others here. I'd say pick it up when you find a great deal, say around $300. If you're digging the L640, you're probably going to love the 950 just because it's beefier all around. Saw some good deals for the L650 as well if you want a small upgrade.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
This time i'll be smarter. When i bought my lumia 950 back in january, it cost about 600€ and now there is possible way to get this phone with just around 400€. So, when surface phone launches lets say early 2017, my lumia 950 is only one year old and it's very reliable phone at the time when surface launches. So, when i feel my 950 is getting a bit old, i just go to shop and buy surface phone, and i think it's cheaper when it was released.
But when you considering today what to do, i would suggest not to buy 950 and wait next flagship from microsoft!

Sorry my English!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Which rumours are these exactly that point towards a surface mobile device? Something with proper details and not the common refrain "coming soon"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital