After creators update problems with Lumia 950 xl

Lazar 61

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
After regular update 15063.251, my Lumia 950 xl stuck with two major problems: Phone app causes system reset. Any attempt to call or answer, reboots the phone. Second, Aida 64 does not register all sensors, a half is missing. So I cannot use compass app. After two hard reset, problems are stil here. Please, do a creators update repair to enable the Microsoft's most expensive phone to work properly.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It could be a hardware issue that happened at the same time. Not likely but it can happen. Or it could be the reset image is corrupted somehow. I would try WDRT and then do the updates again after that.

Lazar 61

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
It could be a hardware issue that happened at the same time. Not likely but it can happen. Or it could be the reset image is corrupted somehow. I would try WDRT and then do the updates again after that.

I think I'm leaving Microsoft world! I loved my Lumia 640 xl so much, I was in insider programe, phone worked great, so I decided to by Lumia 950 xl to make things go even better.
But, this phone is so bad! And Microsoft isn't helping.
I went trough WDRT dozen times, factory software version, than 14393.1066, and when phone comes to 15063.297 things go bad.
Believe or not, I have put my phone in fridge to make it cool enough to continue installation. Finally, phone looses a half sensors, like compass, light sensor, inclinometer etc. . . On day light I cannot see the screen, if I check voice recorder and audio routing to external speaker, any attempt to start or receive a call ends with phone restart. Booting phone is ages long, 2-3 minutes. In the beginning SW reset solved this problems, but how the days passed, this cure does not help anymore.
Long boot means no sensor detection, short boot means all is OK. Now I have not short boot anymore.
I'm thinking, because phone works good on older SW version, this should not be a HW issue. Maybe this critical overheating causes errors during installation. Only regular problem that follows this phone from start is overheating and battery drain. My wife's Lumia 640 LTE keeps battery for 3 days!. Lumia 950 XL cannot stay alive 20 hours, on discrete use. All background process, mail checking, battery hungry apps, everything is reduced maximally but phone has some internal life that burns him crazy.
Anny reasonable help, please!!!!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like a hardware problem. Is it under warranty (factory or seller)? When you used WDRT, did you restore your phone or start from scratch? If you don't have a warranty and did a restore, use WDRT again and don't do a restore. Not likely but possible for the restore to recreate a software problem. Not likely because the odds of you being the only one to report such a problem are low. If the phone is good with the basic apps, start reinstalling your other apps in small amounts.

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I experience the overheating issue also...phone gets extremely hot. Had a call back from MS and they were going to accept the handset back. The operator asked if the phone was so hot as to cause me to have to put the phone down and when I said no, he hung up!

Matt J B

May 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm with Lazar on this, if it is a hardware problem with would have shown up in previous software releases; they have only occurred since the update.
His problems, and mine, have only occurred since the Creator update and my phone is a few months old. I have a browser which stutters to a halt when only a few tabs are open, which feels like some form of memory leak. In addition, the battery does not last as long as in the previous release, the phone freezes at various times, requiring a soft reset, and application such as Skype, whatsapp and fitbit, hang on refuse to update; in addition mail does not automatically update.
Please be serious, this is not a hardware issue, this is most likely due to a poorly tested software release. There are a number of bugs at work here in Edge and application support, as well as battery life and overall performance. To ignore the problem risks alienating some very loyal customers - we have the 950xl and the 950 because we believe they are premier phones.
Finally users should not have to reload software or do hardware resets in normal operating conditions; when i delivered releases, that was tantamount to admitting that we/I had not tested our applications with read world users.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20170523_0001.jpg
Look at this ****
LOOK. AT. THIS. ****.
Not to mention the fact that this screenshot didn't automatically upload to my Onedrive, nor did it when I tried to manually upload it from the Photos app.
and that Cortana's listening service just randomly decided to crash so bye "Hey Cortana"
And eventually my sound stopped working altogether for calls until I restarted.
This is annoying

Really sucks
Buy $400 phone but it runs like a Galaxy J7

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, this is not normal behaviour. This is not due to OS bugs, it looks like a corrupt install. Also, I have a 950XL and the idea that it is getting so hot you have to put it in a fridge to install updates is crazy. Clearly there is a hardware fault, this is not caused by an OS bug. I guess the hardware fault cause a corrupt OS install (sounds likely considering the need to fridge it to get it to install at all). All models of phone have a number of faulty ones and you got the bad luck this time. Just think yourself lucky it wasn't a Samsung, as they tend to actually burst into flame when they get go wrong. Waiting for an OS fix for hardware issues is going to result in disappointment. Get it fixed instead, you'll have to be a bit more proactive I think.

Lazar 61

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Yea, this is not normal behaviour. This is not due to OS bugs, it looks like a corrupt install. Also, I have a 950XL and the idea that it is getting so hot you have to put it in a fridge to install updates is crazy. Clearly there is a hardware fault, this is not caused by an OS bug. I guess the hardware fault cause a corrupt OS install (sounds likely considering the need to fridge it to get it to install at all). All models of phone have a number of faulty ones and you got the bad luck this time. Just think yourself lucky it wasn't a Samsung, as they tend to actually burst into flame when they get go wrong. Waiting for an OS fix for hardware issues is going to result in disappointment. Get it fixed instead, you'll have to be a bit more proactive I think.

Bad luck this time? Microsoft had no bad luck with my 400€!

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Having regular freezing with the 950 at the moment. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the battery life is appalling and the heating issue persists, especially if listening to TuneIn via bluetooth and browsing the web. TuneIn seems to stop regularly (at 2:48:53 - h:m:s -- the same every time).
Can anyone advise on glance screen...there was a setting that one could select for the glance screen to show if you wave/pass/hover your hand over the sensor (or take the phone out of your pocket/bag) but I cannot find this setting now - HELP!

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
Warm hardware put into the freezer and then taken out, would create condensation inside.

I too loved W10 on a 640XL, so I bought a 950 XL to get the better camera, processor and storage. Now Cortana won't speak, the double-tap to wake option isn't there, and a few other things aren't right with it.

WillemC

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 950xl starts to show flaws also after the creator update.

- The phone has freezed a couple of times (never did that before). Soft reset solves the problem
- Overheating happened a few times. (one time it even said the phone needed to cool down before it could proceed)
- Battery life has gone back pretty hard.
- my agenda stopped syncing properly with our Kerio Exchange mailserver
- and apps like Whatsapp and especially Facebook are terrible since the creators update.

Whatsapp sometimes doesn't show the inputbar and keyboard. Shutting whatsapp completely and reopen, solves the issue (never had this problem before).

Facebook takes a lot of time before it opens (if it opens, first few times it goes back to home screen). And after it opens, it stays unusable for another minute, then your able to scroll but images load very poorly. Video playback only the first few seconds, then it hangs for a while and starts playing again. (tried both Facebook and Facebook Beta)

Wife bought a Moto G5 plus for a few bucks and now I'm starting to regret my Lumia phones (been on 2x 1020, 640 and 950xl).

Mthrwndws

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
My lumia 950xl starts to show flaws also after the creator update.

- The phone has freezed a couple of times (never did that before). Soft reset solves the problem
- Overheating happened a few times. (one time it even said the phone needed to cool down before it could proceed)
- Battery life has gone back pretty hard.
- my agenda stopped syncing properly with our Kerio Exchange mailserver
- and apps like Whatsapp and especially Facebook are terrible since the creators update.

Whatsapp sometimes doesn't show the inputbar and keyboard. Shutting whatsapp completely and reopen, solves the issue (never had this problem before).

Facebook takes a lot of time before it opens (if it opens, first few times it goes back to home screen). And after it opens, it stays unusable for another minute, then your able to scroll but images load very poorly. Video playback only the first few seconds, then it hangs for a while and starts playing again. (tried both Facebook and Facebook Beta)

Wife bought a Moto G5 plus for a few bucks and now I'm starting to regret my Lumia phones (been on 2x 1020, 640 and 950xl).

This describes my Lumia 950 to T for the last few weeks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs