Alcatel IDOL5s spotted

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The regular 4S actually has a better screen. Not sure why they dumbed that down for the Windows version. Regular would probably sell better.

It was part of the tradeoffs made to reach their price point.

The Windows version got an increase in SoC, RAM, internal storage and moved to Type-C USB from the Android version's 2.0 microUSB. The Windows version then lost screen resolution and NFC.

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
It was part of the tradeoffs made to reach their price point.

The Windows version got an increase in SoC, RAM, internal storage and moved to Type-C USB from the Android version's 2.0 microUSB. The Windows version then lost screen resolution and NFC.

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com

It seems we meet again.

I'm really sure what to make of the Windows version, then. Guess it just depends on what you prefer.

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Can the average person tell the difference, or do they care?

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Well, I could, but I'm pretty sure Alcatel doesn't have me in mind when they make phones. The regular 4s had Quad HD, though, which is the preferred resolution for VR and a lot sharper in some ways. The Windows 4s is only full HD so I guess it wouldn't really matter unless you use VR. Which I don't.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I could, but I'm pretty sure Alcatel doesn't have me in mind when they make phones. The regular 4s had Quad HD, though, which is the preferred resolution for VR and a lot sharper in some ways. The Windows 4s is only full HD so I guess it wouldn't really matter unless you use VR. Which I don't.

True, I didn't think about the VR and how it could be affected. I don't use it either so the screen is fine for me.
Some of these specs you hear about on tech sites don't mean anything to the average user, just to us techies. They sure add to the price though.

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
True, I didn't think about the VR and how it could be affected. I don't use it either so the screen is fine for me.
Some of these specs you hear about on tech sites don't mean anything to the average user, just to us techies. They sure add to the price though.

Thank goodness I decided to care about specs. I wish more people did. Iphone sales would drop fast.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank goodness I decided to care about specs. I wish more people did. Iphone sales would drop fast.

That's exactly how they became successful.
Instead of talking about megapixels or image stabilization, they show people enjoying taking pictures at a wedding, or on vacation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
That's exactly how they became successful.
Instead of talking about megapixels or image stabilization, they show people enjoying taking pictures at a wedding, or on vacation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And, if you go to their website and look at all those slogans they got for those Macbooks and iphones, they're designed for exactly that: Tricking you into thinking it's the best.

If I remember, the iPhone 7's slogan was "This is 7." and that makes no sense. If that doesn't speak Cash Grab then I don't know what does.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Windows 4s is only full HD so I guess it wouldn't really matter unless you use VR. Which I don't.

While 1440p seems to be touted as the starting point for decent VR, I've tried it with three separate 1080p phones and I think it works fine. I'm not scrutinizing the image for pixels, waiting to jump out of my seat and scream, "J'accuse!" Maybe that makes the difference. I wouldn't say 1080p makes for world class VR viewing, but there is nothing wrong with it for a budding enthusiast. I will say the SD 820 SoC and 3.5GB (effective) RAM helps more than the other two devices I tried. Both were Android, an Idol 4 (SD 617, 3GB RAM) with dedicated VR headset and an Idol 3 (SD 615, 2GB RAM) with a one size fits any phone generic headset.

The Idol 3 was probably the lowest spec I would venture into VR with. In fact that is exactly what I did. The Idol 4 I tested at a store... The 5.2" screen isn't ideal. 5.5" seems to be a better starting point.

I also believe that despite what the pundits say about the Alcatel headsets not being equal to a Galaxy Gear VR or Google Daydream, they are definitely better than a generic for securely cradling the handset, fit, comfort, preventing light bleed and field of view. At least vs the generic I tried which was a $30 item and not the cheapest one i could find.

I definitely feel the Idol 4S Windows VR package is value added, for those so inclined, and if the Idol 5S has a Windows itteration I hope the VR trend continues. Microsoft seems to be putting a lot of eggs into the AR (Augmented Reality) basket and I would not be surprised to see things taking off in that direction for Mobile and Headsets very soon...

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Can the average person tell the difference, or do they care?

For the 'average' person, i don't think they would notice a difference. Whether it's a 1080p screen or a 1440p screen its still going to look really sharp. Maybe on a 720p screen you will start to notice a couple things. I think the 'average' person just wants the screen to look nice. So even if its 480p, as long as it looks nice, they happy :)

C'mon Windows 10 on ARM version.

Haha, ill definitely join you in crossing fingers. :D But look like its going to be Android Nougat. (Nuu-gah)

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
While 1440p seems to be touted as the starting point for decent VR, I've tried it with three separate 1080p phones and I think it works fine. I'm not scrutinizing the image for pixels, waiting to jump out of my seat and scream, "J'accuse!" Maybe that makes the difference. I wouldn't say 1080p makes for world class VR viewing, but there is nothing wrong with it for a budding enthusiast. I will say the SD 820 SoC and 3.5GB (effective) RAM helps more than the other two devices I tried. Both were Android, an Idol 4 (SD 617, 3GB RAM) with dedicated VR headset and an Idol 3 (SD 615, 2GB RAM) with a one size fits any phone generic headset.

The Idol 3 was probably the lowest spec I would venture into VR with. In fact that is exactly what I did. The Idol 4 I tested at a store... The 5.2" screen isn't ideal. 5.5" seems to be a better starting point.

I also believe that despite what the pundits say about the Alcatel headsets not being equal to a Galaxy Gear VR or Google Daydream, they are definitely better than a generic for securely cradling the handset, fit, comfort, preventing light bleed and field of view. At least vs the generic I tried which was a $30 item and not the cheapest one i could find.

I definitely feel the Idol 4S Windows VR package is value added, for those so inclined, and if the Idol 5S has a Windows itteration I hope the VR trend continues. Microsoft seems to be putting a lot of eggs into the AR (Augmented Reality) basket and I would not be surprised to see things taking off in that direction for Mobile and Headsets very soon...

I'm sure regular 1080 works just fine, I'm just going by what I know.

As for Windows and VR, I think we should focus on rebuilding Windows Mobile first so more people will look and say, "That's a Windows VR phone!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster