All this talk about Focus updates, any Surround updates yet?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that MS pulled the plug on all AT&T WP7 phones, not just Samsungs... Yes I understand they flipped it back on, but still no update for my Surround.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nothing for T-Mo either, seems to be the established practice of US carriers mirroring each other's actions. Stuck with a Dell Venue Pro now but my next device will be an unlocked, unbranded phone, preferably a Nokia. All these far eastern OEM's produce shoddy devices in one form or another, MS would be well rid of them.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well they blocked it for good reason. ATT: so that their devices don't get bricked. T-Mobile: there's a firmware and radio update that's pending for the HD7, but as far as this is going they'll probably just stuff those updates into nodo and push that instead. I mean think about it do you think they would rather deal with "where's the update?" customers, or "the update fu?ked up my phone!" customers?

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
All of this is leaving an extremely sour taste for me.......making me worried.

If Microsoft can't turn this around into some kind of success story soon..........eeek.

chnkfc

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
can someone post where they saw this firmware update info for the hd7? i haven't seen it anywhere,unless im looking in the wrong places.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
can someone post where they saw this firmware update info for the hd7? i haven't seen it anywhere,unless im looking in the wrong places.

well I'm typing this from my HD7 so its a bit difficult to get links here without copy/paste lol... Anyways I forgot where I read that but I do know that if you want the non final buggy version of that update, and you have a dev unlocked device you can find the rom on XDA. Keep in mind that this isn't the pre nodo update its just the firmware and radio updates from HTC.

chnkfc

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the response.. i really dont care about the pre-nodo update,like many have said including myself,it'll come in a bundle with the NoDo update,but people seem to want it soo bad they keep forgetting.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Point is, if you don't run an update, any update, no one will ever know if it will work successfully. Not Microsoft, not AT&T, not T-Mobile, not HTC. With 9000 apps in Marketplace, multiple SD card swaps, various side load scenarios and apparent multiple firmware versions no one can be sure how successful an update will go until you try it. Talking and testing is nit the same as doing. We would still be gazing at the moon rather than walking on it if we wanted everything to be 100% foolproof. Push out the damn update, regardless of how small and collect the data. Done.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Enemy Zero

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm just hoping if one gets the update, all get the update at the same time. I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into another android fragmentation mess like the one I left this phone for.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well they blocked it for good reason. ATT: so that their devices don't get bricked. T-Mobile: there's a firmware and radio update that's pending for the HD7, but as far as this is going they'll probably just stuff those updates into nodo and push that instead. I mean think about it do you think they would rather deal with "where's the update?" customers, or "the update fu?ked up my phone!" customers?

You say that as though its guaranteed that the update will brick devices. The issue has only affected Samsung devices so at&t may have a point but whats T-Mobile's excuse, especially for the Dell Venue Pro which they dont sell or support?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You say that as though its guaranteed that the update will brick devices. The issue has only affected Samsung devices so at&t may have a point but whats T-Mobile's excuse, especially for the Dell Venue Pro which they dont sell or support?

you're right, it didn't really brick many devices, but I've worked for ATT and their level of scrutiny is amazing and i know for a fact that ATT doesnt want their customers to call back in to their customer service centers after initial issue resolution, so unnecessary call volume is especially not welcome. That one is pretty easy to understand why they blocked. As for T-Mobile; read my reasoning on my post you quoted, the HD7, as of now the only device they support. You are absolutely right on the Dell Venue Pro, all they do is provide service for the device no more, much like the nexus s, where hardware support is directed to Samsung and software support directed to Google I believe. So I'm sure its something similar for the DVP right?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
you're right, it didn't really brick many devices, but I've worked for ATT and their level of scrutiny is amazing and i know for a fact that ATT doesnt want their customers to call back in to their customer service centers after initial issue resolution, so unnecessary call volume is especially not welcome. That one is pretty easy to understand why they blocked. As for T-Mobile; read my reasoning on my post you quoted, the HD7, as of now the only device they support. You are absolutely right on the Dell Venue Pro, all they do is provide service for the device no more, much like the nexus s, where hardware support is directed to Samsung and software support directed to Google I believe. So I'm sure its something similar for the DVP right?

From what I've read T-mobile reps dont even know the phone exists! Most queries are directed to Dell so yes, similar to the nexus devices support system. Which makes it even harder to take that they could be blocking updates for it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS is looking pretty bad by not sticking to their guns. The first minor upadate was a fail, not the NoDo, is no where to be found. I'm with Paul Thorrot when he says there's no way that the major update that's coming late this year will see the light of day in 2011. I already have a Focus but do for a upgrade soon, and my fianc?e is due for a phone right now. If MS can't a tleasat show they can release updates without disaster, then I'm moving us both to Android phones. /rant

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
MS is looking pretty bad by not sticking to their guns. The first minor upadate was a fail, not the NoDo, is no where to be found. I'm with Paul Thorrot when he says there's no way that the major update that's coming late this year will see the light of day in 2011. I already have a Focus but do for a upgrade soon, and my fianc?e is due for a phone right now. If MS can't a tleasat show they can release updates without disaster, then I'm moving us both to Android phones. /rant

Its sad, virtually everything about WP7 is "coming soon", multitasking, real time multiplayer, advanced API's, and not just round the corner, its months away, and thats barring any delays. Even copy and paste is still a no show, not to talk of the bug fixes that should have been priority. All the good will and excitement after the announcement at MWC 2010 seems to be completely gone because MS decided to hand over the keys to the kingdom to the carriers, and all thats left is a few fans like us while everyone has eyes on android and apple. Lets just hope they dont pull a Kin and leave us hanging.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Its sad, virtually everything about WP7 is "coming soon", multitasking, real time multiplayer, advanced API's, and not just round the corner, its months away, and thats barring any delays. Even copy and paste is still a no show, not to talk of the bug fixes that should have been priority. All the good will and excitement after the announcement at MWC 2010 seems to be completely gone because MS decided to hand over the keys to the kingdom to the carriers, and all thats left is a few fans like us while everyone has eyes on android and apple. Lets just hope they dont pull a Kin and leave us hanging.

Well I'm not sure they would abandon WP7 now that they gave Nokia 1,000,000,000 dollars, literally, no matter how deep my pockets were, I would never ever just give a company that was starting to crash and burn, one billion dollars if throwing the strategy away is a secret company option why would they give Nokia that much money?

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm not sure they would abandon WP7 now that they gave Nokia 1,000,000,000 dollars, literally, no matter how deep my pockets were, I would never ever just give a company that was starting to crash and burn, one billion dollars if throwing the strategy away is a secret company option why would they give Nokia that much money?

It's rumored they lost over 300mil on the Kin so it's not exactly far fetched for them to give up on something they've invested an enormous sum of money into..

Also, that's a really long sentence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb