Amazon Kindle event is showing Nokia how it SHOULD be done!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh god. Amazon's only tablet, created and distributed by them, that doesn't have to get a carrier's input on pricing, can of course put a price and actual date. Out of control

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh god. Amazon's only tablet, created and distributed by them, that doesn't have to get a carrier's input on pricing, can of course put a price and actual date. Out of control

I appreciate the differences in the products being marketed thanks. :straight:

I'm just one of the many who feel that the rationale of carrier involvement is a poor excuse for no pricing and availability.

If Nokia & MS were/are serious about WP8, they aren't doing a very good job of getting the consumers excited about it. They should have already got pricing and availability in the bag for a product that's looking at potentially launching in a couple of months.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, the Kindle Fire is using a dated, heavily-skinned version of Android...not a next-gen OS that Microsoft apparently is still developing. Can't blame Nokia for MS not having WP8 ready.

On the other hand, having had lots of first-hand experience with the "Carousel" skin of Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire...you don't want to own one. Seriously. I have massive buyer's regret over my Fire.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, the Kindle Fire is using a dated, heavily-skinned version of Android...not a next-gen OS that Microsoft apparently is still developing. Can't blame Nokia for MS not having WP8 ready.

On the other hand, having had lots of first-hand experience with the "Carousel" skin of Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire...you don't want to own one. Seriously. I have massive buyer's regret over my Fire.

Have you even seen the specs for the new Fire HD they just announced? That thing ROCKS and is only going to be $299!

As a content consumption device it's very, very good value - they didn't even mention Android in the presentation because guess what - no one cares!

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wp8 has always been scheduled for late October. Microsoft/nokia could have waited till then and done an apple-esque launch, and just left apple and android a field to themselves for 3 months.

Microsoft could release a half finished product early, that wouldn't be any better.

There is no right answer, Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch.

Even better, Microsoft have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Wp8 has always been scheduled for late October. Microsoft/nokia could have waited till then and done an apple-esque launch, and just left apple and android a field to themselves for 3 months.
So then that's what they should've done, right?

Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch...have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.
More reason to hold off announcements and surprise people like you mentioned above.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is kind of exciting. Nokia's speakers where awful. These people have me excited and I don't even want a new Kindle.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you even seen the specs for the new Fire HD they just announced? That thing ROCKS and is only going to be $299!

As a content consumption device it's very, very good value - they didn't even mention Android in the presentation because guess what - no one cares!

I don't dislike my Fire because the processor is too slow and because it lacks enough RAM (what they've changed). I dislike my Fire because the UI is profoundly frustrating, because the onboard applications are awful (from email to the Silk browser), and because Amazon locks you out of the Google Play store and most of the Android apps people actually want aren't on the Amazon App store.

So yes, I've seen the unveil, and it doesn't change anything. I'd never buy another Fire until they fundamentally revamp the UI, the bundled software, and the available apps.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft could release a half finished product early, that wouldn't be any better.

There is no right answer, Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch.

Even better, Microsoft have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
The worlds largest software company could have easily applied more resources to move things along. The 3 year Windows cycle doesn't work in the mobile space. And CC, the Surface isn't subject to carrier input either, it (if it actually exists) was announced last June, has been barely seen and still has not been touched by anyone outside of MS.

ewinxp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft should take lessons from Amazon then because they are creating and distributing their Surface tablet and we have no definitive release date or pricing.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well I will agree with the OP on one point... if you're going to present you have to be enthusiastic, you have to actually provide full details, and you have to make it exciting to the consumer. Amazon has done that, clearly.

Where I disagree is the comparison of the tablet that is exclusively designed and controlled by Amazon to a phone that has multiple parties involved.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this fully. I hope they take a good look at this overall presentation and emulate it, this is how to present products. Excitement, confidence, specs, real details, prices, release dates, order today, great software and services to back product. Simple easy to read slides with talking points and photos. Amazingly well done and fun to watch.

Yes, there are company differences, but the presentations are not even close. I actually came to post a thread with the exact same title lol.

At Nokias we could have got prices on the speakers at least, there are no carriers involved there, but we got a big fat nothing for info most people wanted. How about what carriers will actually carry it? Even just a few with "more to come" would have been better than nothing at all.

Ah well life goes on, but Amazons presentation gets me excited about products I'll never even own lol! Good job Amazon, closest presentation to an Apple presentation I've seen in a while.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should take lessons from Amazon then because they are creating and distributing their Surface tablet and we have no definitive release date or pricing.

that I agree with, but let's not carry that over to phone releases

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte