An Epic Rant - Microsoft COME ON Wacom is KILLING YOU!!! Buy it already... + Panasonic 4k price FAIL

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This is happening right now. Panasonic Tablet Specs - Toughpad 4K with Windows 8.1 by Panasonic

SMH - This is gloriously awesome - but it is GrOSSLY over priced. First of all, where the heck is the 1080p version? Many would be happy with just that.

http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Panasonic-4K-Windows-8-tablet.jpg

But here we are Microsoft, Almost into the 2nd quarter of 2014 and what needs to be isn't here. Ask Apple how one size fits all is working out for them.

Why oh why is this device $6,000? Who are you appealing to? It is offensive on many levels. 1. a 20inch 4k screen shouldn't be that expensive. 2. the innards are anywhere near cause for this type of pricing. So where does Panasonic get the testicular fortitude to charge $6,000 for a device that MANY of us could use? Lack of anything else like it on the market. Surface be DAMNED... 10.6 or 11.1 or 12.0 screen sizes at 1080p be damned. Who is this for? Not for the rest of us I will tell you that.

Let's be clear here. UltraHD clear... 4k clear. People who buy Ipads are media consumers. They don't type... no freaking way do they type. Not anything of signigance if that. My one friend is an Apple lover... Watches the announcments all the time. We jokingly go at it back and forth all of the time. He has a Macbook pro, a Macbook Air and an Ipad. You know what he uses his Ipad for? "I don't really use it for anything." I just accept CC payments with the square reader. You can't type on it... I mostly use the Air." "yea it is pretty much a waste."

Now, for gaming.... I see kids gaming on the Ipad all of the time too. So I am not hating I am just saying lets get freaking real what people are using these things for. It is not WORK.

It cracks me up when I see Ipads on Tv shows, like the real estate one, where they use the Ipad to do things and magically things just happen... Whatever - good job Apple on product placement.

With all of that said where is MSFT? Making 10.6 inch Apple Ipad look a likes - SMH... Oh wait, we have added a carpet keyboard and Office too don't forget.

At the point you added the carpet keyboard you have made an ULTRA BOOK... When you see a person using an IPAD with a keyboard case IT IS AN ULTRA BOOK or Macbook AIR they really want. but at the end of the night they might want to give it to their kids to play with I don't know. Point is... the Surface Pro is not practical. It JUST Isn't. Not for me. I need a larger damned screen size.

For teachers or business people it may be great... For graphic designers, photography and video editors, excel spread sheet designers, html email designers, web developers front-end or back-end, and other various forms of "I need a larger screen" to work it is NOT acceptable.

So to me the hybrids have been OOOOhhhh so close to giving me what I need and want. The Yoga - probably best for screen size BUT NO PEN!!!. The Helix - great concept that wasn't fully realized and TOO SMALL A screen and the Samsung Ativ 700t - Great concept but TOO SMALL A SCREEN (*what I currently own).

When I picked up the Samsung Ativ 700 I was like awesome this should be great! You see I teach with it via an micro-hdmi cable and Office OneNote through a projector. Awesome. That is my weekend job. I also am a graphic designer and web designer during the day. I have Adobe CC installed on it but it is not workable. In fact I actually HATE the screen size. It is so freaking small it is just unusable. Drawing on OneNote Awesome... anything else sucks. Oh it plays games very well too. Great - I have an Xbox for that.

So what is on the horizon? Panasonic Tablet Specs - Toughpad 4K with Windows 8.1 by Panasonic

This beautiful FREAKING BEAST MODE (throw up skittles) 4k resolution 20 inch screen with a PEN... Oh god for good measure you can even drop it a couple feet and it won't break. Where where can I buy this? Oh I can't because it is FREAKING $6k. o-0 WT!#$@ $3k YES... $2k YES... $6k NO NO NO NO NO.

I could be mad at Panasonic but why... This is Microsoft's fault.

So here is my message to Microsoft.

BUY WACOM... and GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE to windows devices like Android gives away its operating system. Just throw it UP like skittles man. This is what people want... They want a tablet with a PENNNNNNN. PENNNNNNN... Say it with me PENNNNNNNNNN. Tablet and PEN.... Desktop and MOUSE... PEN.... Touch and PEN....

Forget Tim Cook and forget Google MSFT... You have the recipe for success here. It is your OS with a touch screen and PENNNNNNNNNNNNN....

If the 14 or 15 inch Yoga had a PENNNNN... boom I'd buy that. If a desktop like the HP Envy all in one had a Pen to go with its touch screen... BOOM I'd buy that... and that is 27 inches.

The college students that ask me when teaching organic chemistry oohhh cool what is that device I am using on the projector - I tell them and you know what they come back with... A Samsung Android tablet with a PEN.... Why? Because the Surface RT doesn't have a PEN... The PRO is too expensive....

Come on Microsoft get it together you can win this battle but you have to fight man. Buy Wacom I know you freaking want to. And if I was at it I would be buying Adobe too. Be smart think ahead.

More people want this and are tired of waiting.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Panasonic Tough(stuff) have Always been high priced and behind the curve on specs. Part of the trade offs for the durability. If you really need a durable device, then you really need it.

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Why are you saying "this is a device for select consumers.?" I would like the device and need it as I am a graphic / web designer. Even if I wasn't, and this is the point of the rant, Microsoft isn't producing alternatives... i.e. similar products and screen sizes that aren't $6,000.00 <<< Yea I agree only select people could afford this... But why?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Christian Mathew,
I admit, I didn't, couldn't, read all your ranting words, but I have a comment, if I may.

The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is the closest "Wacom" device, I think, that you are looking for. Yes, it is not "your" ideal device, but it is better than anything else that is available. Yes, I know, that is the point you are ranting about.

I appreciate the rant, and agree, that MS has a huge wide open opportunity, to "serve" an unserved need for art, graphics, and technical engineering, in a new and better way than the Apple did in the past.

That all said, the SurfacePro2 is amazing with it's wacom digitizer and its PEN, but MS needs to inform Adobe, Corel, and Autodesk of the right click button on the pen, to make the "UI", user interface easy to use with right click button choices, especially"esc", "cancel", "done", and snap modes.

Best Wishes, for us all.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Christian Mathew,
I admit, I didn't, couldn't, read all your ranting words, but I have a comment, if I may.

The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is the closest "Wacom" device, I think, that you are looking for. Yes, it is not "your" ideal device, but it is better than anything else that is available. Yes, I know, that is the point you are ranting about.

I appreciate the rant, and agree, that MS has a huge wide open opportunity, to "serve" an unserved need for art, graphics, and technical engineering, in a new and better way than the Apple did in the past.

That all said, the SurfacePro2 is amazing with it's wacom digitizer and its PEN, but MS needs to inform Adobe, Corel, and Autodesk of the right click button on the pen, to make the "UI", user interface easy to use with right click button choices, especially"esc", "cancel", "done", and snap modes.

Best Wishes, for us all.

I have the SP2 and love it. For programs using the older wacom technology, they can install the drivers. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been wishing for more companies to come out with 19"+ screens with high quality pressure sensitive styluses.

Right now, Wacom pretty much owns the market. They do have a Windows 8 tablet, but like the Surface, it's a little underpowered if you're going to do stuff like 3D graphics.

I wish there was something that was pretty much like a gaming laptop, but as a tablet. I don't care if it's thick and heavy.

​But I also know that there isn't much of a market for it. Boo.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a decent rant. Length is good. I wouldn't call it epic, though. Too much mixed case and too many repeated letters; I'm sure they were done in the hopes they'd increase epic-ness, but really all they do is make it harder to read. Ultimately... not bad, but not epic for sure.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
This discussion is from March. SP3 didn't exist back then. The fact that the SP3 comes with a pen by default is awesome.

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I bought and love the SP3... It is just the right size... or it could be larger but that would be an ultrabook at that point. So size is fine. The resolution is amazing. The pen is not Wacom and I love it.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
it was $6000 for some reason:-
1. waterproof, dustproof, heatproof, and more... even bulletproof and explosion proof (thanks to the gadget show in discovery science with their test), also it was highly durability
2. it has super high sensitive screen than nokia's one (it also has rainproof, when rain dropped on the screen, it act like finger touching, but they coded it to not accept the touch)
3. like nokia's ClearBlack, you can read the screen under direct sunlight
4. 4K on 20 inch, currently 4K is a rare thing, when things are rare, it has high price when recurring, so panasonic might buy it about ~$1000 on it, the total price of tablet might be ~$4000
5. also it has Intel i7 Processor @ 3.3GHz, NVidia Quadro K1000M, 2GB VRAM, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM (16GB RAM cost over $400)
6. they done lots of test on it, if your device was malfunction when drop into water, you are able to claim back more than $10000, cause they has proved it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon