Andromeda Device Petition

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
“The number of signatures is over 20,000. Signing does no harm and might do some good“

Dream on. 20,000 or 200,000 would not even be enough for Wileyfox to produce another crappy Windows phone.

“The wild west days of throwing money away at Microsoft are over“

I would say they are over at most tech companies. You can only survive on hype for so long. Eventually you have to actually be profitable.

“The backroom chatter is the leadership is not convinced”

For good reason. Windows’ glory days are way in the past. A $1,500 “mini foldable hybrid tablet always connected Windows PC with a cell phone built into its case” running Windows 10 is not going to sell.

“You sad sacks make it sound like there are only 20,000 votes out of 7.5 billion world population”

Um, that’s EXACTLY what has happened. There are 20,000 signatures. World population is 7.5 billion. Spin it however helps you sleep at night.

If there was actually a huge, pent-up demand for “Full Windows In Your Pocket” there would be way more than 20,000 signatures.

The fact is, no one cares. Everyone is busy using their Android and Apple phones.

Last edited:

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Nothing wrong with niche products. Plus, not everyone wants to follow the herd and apparently there's at least 20,000 of us sad sacks. As hardware improves further, I'm confident full Windows PC's will find there way back in our pockets.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Nothing wrong with niche products. Plus, not everyone wants to follow the herd and apparently there's at least 20,000 of us sad sacks. As hardware improves further, I'm confident full Windows PC's will find there way back in our pockets.

I thank you for your comment. My opinion is no great leap. I think computers will continue to get smaller and will continue to do more (including telephony) and thus will eventually fit in our pockets.

Respectfully, I would like to clarify that my comment about "sad sacks". It was directed at people who claim they know, for sure, the future, and they know for certain, it doesn't include anything Microsoft and Mobile. They always mention the masses of crowds have rejected it. I think, time will tell. There is a book about the "ignorance of following crowds".

There are lots of successful niche products. Was the Mac considered a niche product when it was 3% market share?

Just my opinions.

Best Wishes

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
If Steve Ballmer was still the CEO he would agree with you. The profitable, growing Microsoft does not. The Board I am sure was clear with Nadella no more HW write offs.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If Steve Ballmer was still the CEO he would agree with you. The profitable, growing Microsoft does not. The Board I am sure was clear with Nadella no more HW write offs.

The "corporate raider strategy" has been proven to work in the short term. No question. We'll have to see what the damage is, long term, if any. It will be interesting to watch.
Best Wishes

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of successful niche products. Was the Mac considered a niche product when it was 3% market share?

The market share doesn't matter as much as if the product makes a profit. For the most part, all businesses everywhere exist to make a profit: nothing more, nothing less. They'll fall all over themselves producing something with 0.00000000001% market share if it is profitable. They'll quit producing something with 99.9999999999% market share if it is losing money.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The "corporate raider strategy" has been proven to work in the short term. No question. We'll have to see what the damage is, long term, if any. It will be interesting to watch.
Best Wishes
Microsoft's current strategy is to focus on the long term profitable areas and leave the low to negative margin markets like smartphones. Microsoft had to choose between selling profitable products and and high growth services to 100% of the market or loose out on the future of tech because their ego was too big to abandon a very unprofitable market.

Ballmer was shown the door because his strategy had no path to success in moving Microsoft into the modern technology world. They misled out of the smartphone business by sitting around too long with ancient technology (win 6.5) spending billions only lost MS billions. Now they are moving on so they don't get passed again. You do not need to own the platform to be successful in Mobile.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The market share doesn't matter as much as if the product makes a profit. For the most part, all businesses everywhere exist to make a profit: nothing more, nothing less. They'll fall all over themselves producing something with 0.00000000001% market share if it is profitable. They'll quit producing something with 99.9999999999% market share if it is losing money.
Hi tgp,
So do I understand your comment to admit the Mac is/was a niche product and further claiming that it was/is profitable? I don't know all the facts, but I do know that Microsoft (Bill Gates) helped them out when Apple was struggling. Again, I don't now every fact but it seems Apple hung in there, continued to develope it's software/hardware and eventually struck gold with the iPhone. Times change, I guess. Apple persevered, and rightly so. In my opinion Microsoft should do the same regarding smaller and smaller form factors with more and more features, including telephony. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi tgp,
So do I understand your comment to admit the Mac is/was a niche product and further claiming that it was/is profitable? I don't know all the facts, but I do know that Microsoft (Bill Gates) helped them out when Apple was struggling. Again, I don't now every fact but it seems Apple hung in there, continued to develope it's software and eventually struck gold with the iPhone. Times change, I guess. Apple persevered, and rightly so.

That was the 1980’s. You certainly don’t think the technology market is the same in 2018?
Even so, Steve Jobs did much like what MS is doing; he cut projects that were bleeding money and focused on developing innovative business models such as iTunes, the iPod, the iPhone, the App Store, etc. This brought revenue to the company and helped it become the giant it is today.
Companies cannot continue to bleed money in products that don’t bring revenue.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That was the 1980’s. You certainly don’t think the technology market is the same in 2018?
Even so, Steve Jobs did much like what MS is doing; he cut projects that were bleeding money and focused on developing innovative business models such as iTunes, the iPod, the iPhone, the App Store, etc. This brought revenue to the company and helped it become the giant it is today.
Companies cannot continue to bleed money in products that don’t bring revenue.
Hi TgeekBe,
May I ask, are you saying that we should or that we shouldn't learn from history (1980's)? Is history useless because times have changed, or are there possibly lessons we should/could learn? To clarify the obvious, no, I don't think the 1980s are the same as 2018.

I get it, you don't want companies to continue to waste money on products that don't bring in revenue "today" (my word). Okay, I hear you. Let me think about that.

Best Wishes

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi TgeekBe,
May I ask, are you saying that we should or that we shouldn't learn from history (1980's)? Is history useless because times have changed, or are there possibly lessons we should/could learn? To clarify the obvious, no, I don't think the 1980s are the same as 2018.

I get it, you don't want companies to continue to waste money on products that don't bring in revenue "today" (my word). Okay, I hear you. Let me think about that.

Best Wishes

What I am saying is there are many variables that go into decisions regarding such large undertakings. We’re not talking about you or I deciding whether we should spend a few hundred dollars on a smartphone, we are talking about millions of dollars or more. As fans it’s easy for us to say they should do this or that. It’s not our money. Shareholders have a completely different viewpoint.

There has to be a product. There has to be a market. There has to be a profit. Remember, Apple was a computer company that, as you correctly pointed out, needed assistance to survive. If they hadn’t changed course I really don’t think they would exist today. It was the the change to mobile (ipod, iPhone, Apple watch, etc.) along with music and apps that forged them forward. Microsoft is in the same mode of deciding which future direction will be best for them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi tgp,
So do I understand your comment to admit the Mac is/was a niche product and further claiming that it was/is profitable? I don't know all the facts, but I do know that Microsoft (Bill Gates) helped them out when Apple was struggling. Again, I don't now every fact but it seems Apple hung in there, continued to develope it's software/hardware and eventually struck gold with the iPhone. Times change, I guess. Apple persevered, and rightly so. In my opinion Microsoft should do the same regarding smaller and smaller form factors with more and more features, including telephony. Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure I would call the Mac a "niche" product. They are fairly common. Is there a market share percentage that defines something as "niche"?

There are some products that are worth sticking it out because profitability is expected at some point. My guess is that in the case of Windows phone, Microsoft didn't see that coming, ever. Hence they dropped it. They hung on with xBox, Bing, and probably some other products. With Windows phone, it was never going to happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb