Annoying bug in Windows 10 running on Lumia 640?

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Annoying bug in Windows 10 running on Lumia 640

Finally, Microsoft enabled Google as default search engine on the main screen of the WP in W10.
However, I think it is buggy, because whenever I push the search button, I get the Google pages with the search results of {search terms}. (I think this {search terms} should be a hidden text)
Moreover, you cannot enter your own search phrase, first you got to delete this annoying {search terms} text.
Also, at someone's proposal I tried to change the default search engine but it does NOT work, either.
You simply cannot change to Bing or to any other search engine, even if you delete all available search engines and you specify Bing as default :-(

Last edited:

hobotnica

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: Annoying bug in Windows 10 running on Lumia 640

Hi, I had the same problem. I did a hard reset (restoring my old data) and it helped. Then I repeated the excercise with duck go go (and then changing back to bing). It took a few minutes, but in the end it switched. Also the bing photo is now only half of the screen, the other half is white. Is that the new look, or is something wrong?

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Update: I did a hard reset and 2 things happened.
1. Now Bing is the default search on the start screen of the phone
2. Now it cannot be changed to Google at all. If I go to Microsoft Edge settings, no alternative search engine is offered and all buttons are greyed out.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Update: I did a hard reset and 2 things happened.
1. Now Bing is the default search on the start screen of the phone
2. Now it cannot be changed to Google at all. If I go to Microsoft Edge settings, no alternative search engine is offered and all buttons are greyed out.

1 - if for "start screen" you mean the lens key, thats' always like that. Elsewhere I don't undestand...
2 - Open Edge, type Google.com in address bar and go. Then, go to Settings, Andavnced, Search. You'll find Google. Choose it. It's same procedure as desktop

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
1 - if for "start screen" you mean the lens key, thats' always like that. Elsewhere I don't undestand...
2 - Open Edge, type Google.com in address bar and go. Then, go to Settings, Andavnced, Search. You'll find Google. Choose it. It's same procedure as desktop

1. Nope, before the hard reset I could search with Google directly from the navigation bar search function

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
The search tile on the start screen is Cortana when Cortana isn't enabled. My 650 had it on the start screen until I enabled Cortana. The tile then changed to Cortana. You can't change the search engine for Cortana, only for Edge. So just open Edge and type in your search there and it'll use Google if you choose that in the Edge settings. Works like it's supposed to for me. Either way, you're opening an App to search, so just use Edge.

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Exactly what I mean, if you don't do that you cannot search directly. First you must change search engine following that procedure

It's not clear what you're saying. I opened Google in Edge and set it as default search engine. Still I have Bing in the navigation bar search.
I did some reading in other forums and they say it is dependent on the territory you are in. If you change it to Russia they said it would change Bing to Google in the navigation bar and then you can switch back to your language and it will still stay like that. I gave it a try but even my phone turned into a Russian-speaking monster, it did not :) (maybe, that was outdated information)

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

Search using the nav bar and Edge are 2 different things. You can't change to google for the nav bar or the search tile. You can only change it for Edge. And you can only search using Google IN Edge by typing a search into the address box. What the OP is trying to do can't be done.

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Maybe now it can't but some months ago it could be done by changing language settings e.g. to Russian. There are forum posts about it working even after switching back to your language. But that may be history now, it is not so important for me.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I think Microsoft realized there was no point in having two ways to do the same thing. You can press the search button and type in your search, or, open Edge and type in your search in the address bar. Same amount of screen taps to accomplish a search.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss