Any 930 users in the U.S.?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a 930 on AT&T, no issues. It helps that I'm on wifi most of the time, but so far I haven't completely lost cell service in places I've had it before.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the 930 on AT&T. No problems at all.
MMS works (both ways) and Internet sharing also.
I had a Samsung ATIV SE (Verizon only), but they are GSM unlocked, so it worked fine on AT&T also, except I could not receive MMS (send just fine) and the Internet sharing would not turn on.
I've since learned that Verizon firmware locks those two function on their phones.

LTE or rather lack of, is not a problem for me. I couldn't get LTE at work anyway (even with AT&T phones) and at home I'm using the WiFi. When out and about, I am in LTE areas however there is nothing that I need LTE speeds for on the phone.

Fred

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my 930 yesterday and it is the most beautiful WP I've owned and I have owned almost all of them. Samsung Focus, Nokia Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925 (Phone I just replaced) to the now 930. Everything works except LTE which I didn't expect anyway. MMS, Internet Sharing, and all other items work just not LTE do to the bands missing.

jwdaigle

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am in the middle of an upgrade decision process at the moment as well. I'm currently on a L820 on AT&T. The 930 looks exactly like what I want EXCEPT for:
1) Ive read about overheating issues. Have they been resolved?
2) To get a 930 it seems I have to buy it from one of the importer type retailers, which all seem to come with *no* warranty (see #1, above :))
3) LTE doesnt/wont work in the US - I dont think a huge deal for me, but...

I've also looked at the 1520 (I really want "Hey Cortana" coming in Denim), but 6" is just way too big to hold up to my ear IMO.

Thoughts?

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I am in the middle of an upgrade decision process at the moment as well. I'm currently on a L820 on AT&T. The 930 looks exactly like what I want EXCEPT for:
2) To get a 930 it seems I have to buy it from one of the importer type retailers, which all seem to come with *no* warranty (see #1, above :))

I've also looked at the 1520 (I really want "Hey Cortana" coming in Denim), but 6" is just way too big to hold up to my ear IMO.

Thoughts?

Hey Cortana is also coming to the 930.

What I need to know is how we will update the 930 to Denim if we're on AT&T USA ... Surely it's the carriers that roll out updates, would they roll out updates for a phone that they don't even support technically?

I'm wondering if we'd be stuck with the OS that the 930 ships with.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It's based on where the device is from, not the carrier particularly.

:)
Fred

Hey Cortana is also coming to the 930.

What I need to know is how we will update the 930 to Denim if we're on AT&T USA ... Surely it's the carriers that roll out updates, would they roll out updates for a phone that they don't even support technically?

I'm wondering if we'd be stuck with the OS that the 930 ships with.

essenobi

May 28, 2014
Visit site

>> No, I think it's due to how the 930 was designed. I recently purchased one that's update to date and it still gets hot. I called Nokia and they said that it's normal for phones to get warm but that if it gets too hot to let them know.

>> Hmm, I probably should have read that too before importing mine. I'm still going to call Microsoft to see if I can get one for my phone and if not through them then I plan on trying SquareTrade.

Thoughts?

>> I sold my 1520 because it was too big for me so if you think the 6" is a concern it probably will be. It's sort of like don't date someone expecting them to change because of you -- they are who they are. That said, the screen on the 6" is awesome and one thing I miss dearly.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been working pretty well for me besides the internet sharing. I'm a little disappointed with battery life but it's nothing awful or anything. My main issue is that WP and most of the apps are not fully optimized for 1080p. The only complaint I have about the 930 is that the buttons are flush with the body. Seems like Nokia's qc has been poor of late because I had a 1520 with issues as well.

AaronNanto

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I just got gifted a new Nokia 930 for AT&T network (I live in Seattle).

Swapped my SIM card from my 1520 to the 930 with no issues. Also recovered a backup from my 1520 > 930 without issues.

Performance is great - haven't tried videos or games yet however.

Phone gets unusually warm. Wife used it for a bit and even commented about how warm the phone was after a few mins of use (just surfing!). I fear how warm/hot it will get while playing games!

Love the physical buttons - they are not flush with the side of the phone (which I like) which allows you to easily find the buttons when not looking. The 1520 had flush buttons which I always had trouble finding when not looking.

I have 2 wireless charging docks from my time with the 920 - glad I can use them again since the 1520 was incompatible.

Speaker on the 930 sounds REALLY good. Not tinny and had some nice low-end.

Running on AT&T identified as "H+".

Was looking for Glance mode and read on here that it didn't have it. I miss this feature :(

Stuazt

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm from China and I think I might know something useful for you. The Chinese version of Lumia 930 does NOT support LTE. But it has the same hardware as that of the Hong Kong version. In China, we flash it with the ROM for HK version, then it will support LTE(I'm on China Unicom network). Anyone tried the ROM of 929's or other versions that support the same(or included) LTE bands with your carrier. Hope that's helpful:)

encorelui2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the 930 with Tmobile for about a month now and I cant think of any network performance issues. A few general software problems (web browser (IE is bs), and music player)

Last edited:

zaslek

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Everything works fine for me - I've used a 1520.3 and the 930 -- I've got wifi everywhere so LTE isn't a huge loss. I also swap back and forth between an iPhone 6+ and the 930 now. The only downside is with ATT's stupid plan setup I cant tether on on both devices easily. If your plan is set up as an iphone plan tethering will only work from the iphone or if you set it up as a generic plan tethering will work on the 930 without problem. For those of you not getting tethering to work and you've previously used an iphone - log into the ATT website and check your data plan. If it says iphone next to the data plan tethering wont work until you switch it.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got my 930 today from a dealer in Amazon. Using on T-Mobile USA. Loving it so far. No overheating issues. Not LTE but between H and the processors&RAM, everything seems very zippy to me. Hard to tell any difference.

fob2000

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your feedback! I am a long time 920 user who is fed up on not being able to upgrade. I'm not interested in the "sidegrade" to the 830 so it is nice to know that the 930 works well on ATT (minus LTE).

Just one other question:

Should I buy through Amazon, Ebay, or Expansys. Having to carrier warranty supports scares me when I'm about to drop $500 on a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddacker