Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So we now have:
HP Elite x3 - 6 inches
950XL at 5.7
Acer Liquid Jade Primo at 5.5
Alcatel Idol 4s at 5.5
950 at 5.2 (my current handset).

Coming from my Lumia 1020 (4.5 inch screen), I've found the 950 is a bit bigger than I prefer. Are there any 8xx processor handsets out there coming out under 5.2 inches?

Are there any W10M phones running processors besides snapdragon, like the mediatek ones?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Lenovo launched a device softbank 503 LV, back in june with 5" screen. Not likely it will be available in your region.

Right now there are no new devices launching other than what you have already mentioned.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now we got basically no phones coming up, let alone 5" ones. You could always try Chinese brands and the sort though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
is that .2 inches really that bothersome.

It is. It makes a difference in the hand and reachability, especially if you like to use your phones one handed. The 550 or 730/735 is an excellent size. The 640 is fine too, but the width of that made one hand use a bit tiring.

I can't reach the very top part of my Honor 8, but I like that it's not as wide as the Lumia 950, which width can get tiring to reach for.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you on this, besides the one handed use, pocketability is an issue for me. I'd like to see a 4.5-5" high end Windows phone too.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Isnt that why there is the one handed mode by pressing and holding the home button? This helps me a lot when using the phone one handed.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Anything in the 4.7"-5" range is my preferred preference, anything much larger becomes too cumbersome making finding a home for it rather difficult.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
5 inch phones are dead. Perfect size for most people these days is more than 5.2

Bezels getting thinner so you basically get more screen, which is great. My 5 inch 930 seems small now, but was huge for me 2 years ago. You'll get used to it :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has there ever been any surveys as to what the sweet spot is that customers prefer?

It varies widely. I see quite a bit of 4" iPhones around coexisting with Galaxy Notes.

Isnt that why there is the one handed mode by pressing and holding the home button? This helps me a lot when using the phone one handed.

One-handed mode is kind of a band-aid over the wound that is mediocre UI design. But at a certain point, the size itself becomes kinda awkward to handle.

5 inch phones are dead. Perfect size for most people these days is more than 5.2

Bezels getting thinner so you basically get more screen, which is great. My 5 inch 930 seems small now, but was huge for me 2 years ago. You'll get used to it :)

Well thankfully the Google Pixel is a 5" phone, down from the spiritual predecessor's 5.2". (Nexus 5X)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Tell that to all that own the iPhone SE. It's far from dead. For some reason, the industry thinks that 5.5 is where it's at for everyone, which is incorrect.

I think you're missing the fact that it is a preference to have a smaller phone for some.

Edit: I'm too slow, what Xandros said! lol

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Well I came from a 1020, with a 4.5 inch display. It felt like it had room for more display, and this 950 @ 5.2 still feels too big. Seems like my spot is 5 inches.

Here's my take on it, I did the measurements since I was thinking about going to the 950 from a 1020. Dimension wise, the 950 isn't much wider than a 1020 (1-2 mm if I recall), however, the 1020 has rounded sides that makes the phone much easier to grip. The 950 with its straight edges dig in and makes it uncomfortable to wrap your hand around. As a result, even though the width is negligible, it feels totally different.

Edit:

Lumia 1020 130 x 71.4 x 10.4 millimeters versus 145 x 73.2 x 8.2. So because the 1020 is a little thicker and rounded, it feels more natural in hand. Adding the lumia 640 into the mix, it is 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.8 millimeters and it too is rather uncomfortable to hold even if it is only .8 mm wider.

I too yearn for a 4.5" - 5" phone. I have a Sony Xperia Z1 compact (4.3") to fall back on as my android alternative. If I ever do decide to get an iPhone, definitely the SE for me.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess phones are kind of caught in a tug of war with regards to screen size. Since they are being used more like tablets now, the preference is obviously for a more tablet like screen size. However, unlike tablets, we need to have them with us all the time so size then becomes much more of an issue in terms of practicality.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Dimension wise, the 950 isn't much wider than a 1020 (1-2 mm if I recall), however, the 1020 has rounded sides that makes the phone much easier to grip. The 950 with its straight edges dig in and makes it uncomfortable to wrap your hand around. As a result, even though the width is negligible, it feels totally different.
Also, the 1020 was effectively a ~4.7" if you include the navigation keys that are now part of the display in the 950. The thickness of the 1020 ironically is something I like MORE than the thinness of the 950. I know we are talkin millimeters here, but it is a noticeable difference in day to day usage.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Also, the 1020 was effectively a ~4.7" if you include the navigation keys that are now part of the display in the 950. The thickness of the 1020 ironically is something I like MORE than the thinness of the 950. I know we are talkin millimeters here, but it is a noticeable difference in day to day usage.

I agree, I like the thickness of it, in fact, with a slim case or the inductive charging cover, it smooths out the back and makes the camera bump less pronounced. It also makes it easier still to hold.

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns on thin phones. Yes, they look sleek, but we gave up ergonomics and user-replaceable batteries, and customization if you didn't want to slap a case on the phone.The other nice thing about replaceable covers: if you dropped your phone or scuffed the back, you can replace it and it will look good again (assuming the screen is good).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb