Anyone else have a phone that rattles?

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So I love just about everything about this phone except one thing.

If you tap the top of my phone, right below the power button, you can hear a rattle.

This by itself isnt bad, but I feel like this rattle is affecting the vibrate of the phone. When the phone vibrates through a key press or notification, it sounds terrible and you can hear something shaking inside of the phone.

In several reviews there was mention of how weird and 'metallic' the vibrate is on this phone.

Im wondering if every phone is like this, or if some of them dont have this issue. Normally I hate nitpicky comments like this, but its really bugging me.

If I was able to turn off vibrate for the soft keys I wouldnt mind as much, but having to feel this crappy vibrate every time I hit one of the keys is super annoying.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't hear any rattle when tapping my phone. However, I do agree that the vibrate is a little unnerving, sounds too much like grinding metal.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I went to the ATT store just now and looked at 3 different L900's.

They all had a noticeable rattle when tapping the back just above the camera.

Even the employees phone had the rattle.

Im guessing its just how the phone is made. He did suggest coming back in a couple weeks and checking if the new shipment of 900's had the same issue.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
They were willing to exchange my phone but I didnt see the point when all the other phones had the same issue.

I probably will go back in a couple weeks and hopefully get a look at a newer phone and see if it has the same issue.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The frustrating thing for me is that sometimes my vibrate sounds fine, although weak.

But other times it sounds terrible, like something is rattling inside the phone as it vibrates.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine rattles, but it is barely noticeable unless I really shake the phone. And it only rattle when shaking forward and back. If i shake it side to side it's solid.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
mine has that same rattle right above the camera area i guess i will be taking mine to the store for a replacement since i got my on preorder online i would have to go to a corp store right?

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the weird vibrate and the rattle when I tap above the camera. Maybe this is why the vibrate sounds like it's gringing. I'll stop by at&t later this week and see what can be done.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So I believe there are two different issues here:

1. A rattle noise when you tap near the camera lense. As people have pointed out, this is probably from the autofocus lense. Ive tapped at leat 5 different L900's, and they have all had this rattle.

2. A very harsh sounding vibrate, as if the vibrator inside was not properly secured or shaking something that it shouldnt. This is the issue my phone had. I exchanged it yesterday. My new phone, while the vibrate is not very strong or loud, is smooth and does not experience this rattle.

So my opinion is if you have a rattle when tapping, but your vibrate sounds more or less ok, then there wouldnt be much of a point in taking your phone back.

However, if you vibrate is noticeably harsh, exchange it.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Its the autofocus lens as somebody already mentioned. You'll hear it sometimes and its not a big deal to me.

While the vibrate is a bit harsh, I do appreciate that I can actually FEEL this phone vibrate when I'm walking around with it in my coat pocket or jeans. I would almost never feel the Samsung Focus, or I'd get "ghost" vibrates (since it was so soft, I'd always THINK I felt it).

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It is the camera button, my guess its more loose than other buttons to accommodate the focus/shutter double press function of the camera button. Seems to be working fine with the rattle just feels like in future will break is my concern.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What you're hearing, as others have said is the auto focus lens. You can here this when you release focus when trying to take photos.

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900-ace/190074.htm
I'll be heading to AT&T in an hour or so, I'm gonna ask a few reps how their phones working, if it's better then mine I'll swap it out. If there is no difference, then oh well, the phone is still exceeding expectations for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb