Anyone experiencing random hangs / DCOM errors with W10 1903?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I've officially given up with Windows 10.

I can't do anything on it lately as everything randomly hangs, freezes, crashes and the worst one of all is that my newly built PC randomly crashes with every.single.fan hitting 100% RPM...

Today I started up my PC to work on a project in FL Studio and a rainmeter skin I'm working then noticed I had no network icon in the system tray. I thought that's odd so I open up control panel... as spotify is streaming without any issues but it freezes and so I open up settings that freezes too.

Exercise in futility.PNG

Fortunately right click works and I can close the frozen windows (at this point that's all Windows 10 has become good for - a frozen picture frame for the desktop).

Here is the event viewer -

Exercise in futility 2.PNG

Search doesn't work either and it's something I use always to quickly launch apps as it's alot quicker to user winkey+s to launch search and just type.

Exercise in futility 3.jpg

I know Windows it's self is not frozen as my custom rain meter skin is working (here is a gif confirming that it is working).

Confirmation of Windows responding - settings to do change - I tried dragging the task bar up and it messed up the search box. However if I change search settings to icon only it does change but it reverts back to the messed up format when I chose search box again.

Exercise in futility 5.jpgExercise in futility 6.jpgExercise in futility 7.jpg

Word for instance is also exhausting slow and cludgy to use it takes about 10 seconds to start up as opposed to near instant responsiveness that you'd expect from an ssd and a system with 16 gigs of DDR4 ram at 3200mhz and a 8 core / 16 thread cpu (that's how response it was before all this random crap - and yes control panel is still frozen and I can't even move the window around).

Last point to add, I didn't have any of these issues when I tested all the components without any internet connection. I got these random crashes which I chalked it up to buggy drivers being installed by Windows update and it may very well have been buggy drivers... who knows with Windows 10 at this point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The DCOM timeout error (EventID 10010) is very common, I see those all the time on every PC I check, and for the most part they seem benign. At least I never noticed it causing any problems. But I don't remember ever seeing the app hang error (EventID 1002) and based on the symptoms, that's your real problem. I did a quick search and didn't find anything helpful. How about try updating to 1909?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The DCOM timeout error (EventID 10010) is very common, I see those all the time on every PC I check, and for the most part they seem benign. At least I never noticed it causing any problems. But I don't remember ever seeing the app hang error (EventID 1002) and based on the symptoms, that's your real problem. I did a quick search and didn't find anything helpful. How about try updating to 1909?

I see and true for the most part they do appear to be benign as the dcom errors I have come across in the past didn't cause applications to hang or the system to crash. However for myself they always concide with the system crashes, apps hanging, bsods, kernel failures.

To be honest I think it's more of a Windows optimisation issue with AMD CPUs.

We didn't see these optimisation issues in the past because Microsoft had a dedicated QA team which would have steam pressed these issues out.

I also need to add these issues also occured with the R5 3600 which leads me to be believe it's an optimisation issue. But without more people confirming they have the same issue with Ryzen CPUs it would be tough to gauge.

In regards to 1909, I'm waiting abit until I upgrade to 1909 given the issues people have had with feature updates.

I do still have my old PC which is still limping along which I may upgrade to 1909 to see how it goes. I recently changed the CMOS battery on that PC and planning to re-flash the bios later when I've got a solid few days free to check everything just incase I end up giving it away to a family member to do their school work and if not it will end up as either a dedicated test box for insider builds or a pfsense router in a custom case.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, 1909 is not much of a "feature" update. I haven't noticed anything other than the new option to create an event/reminder in the calendar flyout. Just feels like a patch and I think the actual update simply unlocks stuff already present in 1903. That would explain why it downloads/installs very quickly, faster than some of the monthly security updates.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, 1909 is not much of a "feature" update. I haven't noticed anything other than the new option to create an event/reminder in the calendar flyout. Just feels like a patch and I think the actual update simply unlocks stuff already present in 1903. That would explain why it downloads/installs very quickly, faster than some of the monthly security updates.

Hmm, I see will check it out in a VM and see how that goes then load it on to my old PC. If all goes well I'll then risk it on the new build lol... not taking any chances haha.

Thanks for sharing your experience with 1909 as it gives me a baseline of what to expect :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre