Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Considering the fact that I sold my Android device and am stuck using a 4 year old flip phone, I'll be jumping to WP8 as soon as the devices show up on Verizon, preferably the 920.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
WP8 devices are a big step up from WP7.8 only devices so I will be upgrading immediately. I have been very pleased with my Samsung Focus for almost 2 years, and anticipate being please with my Lumia 920 for the next 2 years. I agree that some changes seem incremental and unnecessary, but that's not the case with these first gen WP8 phones.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
OP, I know exactly how you feel. When HTC and Nokia announced their new devices, I was sure that I would use my upgrade (which is available now) on a WP8 device. As time goes by, I get less excited and interested in them though. I'd also like to wait a bit to see how WP8 plays out before committing to the platform. I may use my upgrade on the next Android Nexus device and just buy a second-gen WP8 device off contract when they're released. I do have high hopes for the platform and look forward to jumping in someday in the near-ish future. :)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Waiting and glad. My upgrade is really about a year from now. None of the 1st gen devices are that wonderful to me. Favorite is probably the Ativ. Not the greatest features but love the screen size and dimensions. Would get the 920 with its awesome camera, but its too thick and heavy. Dont care what the apologists think about weight being trivial and thickness not being a big deal. 808 is only 1.2mm thicker. 920 is 3mm thicker than the iphone5. That is ridiculous, sorry.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm lucky in the sense that I can go 920 at launch and get whatever Gen-2 option comes out in the spring/summer too. As an IT guy, I have the luxury of being able to get the latest-greatest if I want it bad enough.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am simply bored with ios and android. The wp8 seems to be a good alternative to keep me occupied for a while. I will get a 920 as soon as possible. 2nd gen wp device or not will have to depend on the experience I get from the 920...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Will make my decision after seeing and trying out the ATIV and the 920. I love that I do not have to make a decision because I still enjoy my Focus S and the 7.8 upgrade will at least make it feel fresh if I am not enthralled by my top two choices. I am actually truly excited for the 920. I love my "S" enough to keep the ATIV in the conversation (plus I love the classy look in pictures, at least).

But a physical keyboard option and the idea of a stronger device in the summer really appeals to me. Honestly, I am interested in seeing the BB10 devices in Jan/Feb as well, mostly out of morbid curiosity. The previews are interesting. I do not think it will sway me from WP8, but I might just give it the extra three months or so to be sure.

I have no problem waiting. We will see. It is a fun decision to make!!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Depends, my upgrade isn't until March.. If something way better is announced, say at CES, I might wait for 2nd Gen. Just depends on what's available and how far out stuff is.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next fall, I would opt out even if I had the choice to upgrade. The one that calls to me look wise is the 8x.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade isn't until Nov. 2013. Unless WP8 comes out with some unannounced must have feature that I can't live without I'm definitely waiting for the second wave. I'm hoping for an 808+920 ultimate camera phone in wave 2. Anyway, with the 7.8 upgrade I still feel like my Lumia 900 will be great. I can live without all the features they've announced for WP8 that is not in the W7.8 update.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???

Dont hold your breath on MS releasing a surface phone that would probably cause a great deal of harm to relations with Nokia unless they actually manufacture it, and even then that Nokia did it would ruffle feathers of HTC and other oems.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It makes financial sense to upgrade if you're with a major US carrier.

The phone subsidy is built into the monthly rates. But even if you don't subsidize a phone, you still pay the subsidized rates.

So when you don't upgrade, you're just basically paying extra money without receiving any benefit.

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I will for the only thing holding me back is im due for an upgrade 1 year starting yesterday. Otherwise I would jump on the WP8/ Lumia 920 bandwagon ASAP

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
No matter when you buy your phone, there will be something cooler out in 6-12 months. No way around that. So I'm upgrading as soon as I'm due for an upgrade (March 2013).

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade isn't until Nov. 2013. Unless WP8 comes out with some unannounced must have feature that I can't live without I'm definitely waiting for the second wave. I'm hoping for an 808+920 ultimate camera phone in wave 2. Anyway, with the 7.8 upgrade I still feel like my Lumia 900 will be great. I can live without all the features they've announced for WP8 that is not in the W7.8 update.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. From what I've seen wp8 doesn't add much. I'm sure it will with updates though and by then new hardware will be out. I've been burned by early adoption before.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I waiting for a phone with a qwerty side sliding keyboard. I hope it come out when ever and they dont release the phones in waves. I hope they just keep cranking them out.

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Switching from iPhone so I'll take what's available now. Leaning 920, but no decision until I see all up close.

IF MSFT comes out with their own handset, no guarantees they learned all they needed to from last time around- I'd be interested in their hardware maybe next time around once I'm sure they did it right this time....

Posted from My Mobile App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb