Anyone Keeping Lumia 900 past 30 days?

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
You know i got this Nokia Lumia 900… Nice phone so far but im very disappointed with Microsoft because one would expect for them to throw everything behind the platform(like Google does) but yet they don’t… How can third parties support a platform that even their creator is lacking to support?
For example:
No Live Mesh Client
No Remote Desktop Client FROM MICROSOFT <—- This should be included BY DEFAULT on the OS!!!

the camera compared to the E4GT is bad... also mine has a nasty sound when it vibrates...

is going back to AT&T shelves….:mad:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You are right cell phone camera's are meant to capture the moment so when you do take that picture while out and it comes out blurry with blue spots and yellow spots say goodbye to the moment. and not once in this post i say i was going to return mine i am gauging the community on if anyone else try reading the whole thing net time.

Maybe post a poll?

Not sure if we have that option these forums.

Personally, I'm not going to return my phone before the 30 days.

My expectations for cell phone camera performance may be lower than yours though. Most cell phone cameras do NOT have back illuminated sensors and many basic digital cameras don't even have them. Sony only introduced them to regular digital cameras TWO years ago.

I don't take 100s of low light pictures with my cell phone, so it's not a major issue for me.

Would I like better low light performance? Sure. But considering I got my phone for $99... wait. no... FREE --- it's definitely NOT an issue.

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Live Mesh is being phased out...sorry to break it to you. Windows Live Mesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Skydrive, which the phone DOES have, is the path going forward.

RDP client on a phone....yeah those work just spectacularly lol
Well My teamviewer client work fine on the Android phone.... I need to acessmy desktop remotely from time to time to do simple tasks like reset a user account on Active Directory or something i dont want to do a lot of things... If microsoft joins Live mesh with skydrive ok but the background sync part of mesh is essential!!! Like dropbox...

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 900 and will be keeping it. I think Nokia has it's back and anything that can be fixed will be unlike other manufacturers. And I love the feel of the device.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to get my phone replaced by AT&T for the screen clicking when pressed in the upper left corner and the camera button but seems like they are trying to avoid replacing my phone.

I've been to the store two times. First time they said "yea of course we'll replace the phone, we'll give you a call when the next shipment comes in". Second time I go to the store, they said "yea we'll replace the phone, we don't have any stock right now since we sold them but we get some in daily." But I then said weren't you guys suppose to call when you got a shipment in so I could get the phone replaced. They just said sorry and that I'm still within my 30 days. Are they trying to hint at me to just return the phone? WTF AT&T.

LikeAChameleon

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
So I have the Samsung Focus S at present and am thinking of selling it and buying the Lumia off contract. IMO, it's a much better phone in terms of the other services it offers in addition to the great OS, but I'm wondering how the camera quality compares to the Focus S. Can anyone comment on that? Not a deal breaker, but I do like good quality pictures, since I use it as my primary camera.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You know i got this Nokia Lumia 900? Nice phone so far but im very disappointed with Microsoft because one would expect for them to throw everything behind the platform(like Google does) but yet they don?t? How can third parties support a platform that even their creator is lacking to support?
For example:
No Live Mesh Client
No Remote Desktop Client FROM MICROSOFT <?- This should be included BY DEFAULT on the OS!!!

the camera compared to the E4GT is bad... also mine has a nasty sound when it vibrates...

is going back to AT&T shelves?.:mad:

OK, bye.

swc_ant

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th handset. I exchanged my 1st one only because of the call speaker was glitching. Then I went through 3 handsets in ONE DAY. All three were "Green Sticker" units which according to the manager at At&t were checked for hardware and software issues. Well all three, which includes the one I'm stuck with now have a horrible Vibra unit. It sounds like a clunking/metallic grind every time it runs. What sucks is the At&t employees agreed with me it didn't sound right, but the system wouldn't allow them to exchange another one, even though I had not even left the store with it. I contacted Nokia support via chat, they escalated my complaint and someone from Nokia is supposed to contact me around 230pm today. I'm also bothered by the Camera button not waking the phone from sleep, and the volume buttons not working with the lock screen, except for some music apps.

Pending my call with Nokia, and what they can do to help me; then will decide if I keep it or wait till this fall for a WP8 handset. My Samsung focus is twice as responsive as the Lumia 900, and everything works as advertised with my Focus, a Gen 1 device.:dry

Um, if you read the reviews on WPCentral, they specifically pointed out that the vibration unit in the Lumia 900 has a weird sound to it... it's probably not a good sound (I don't have one yet) but it's not a defect.

Camera button waking the phone from sleep is a setting. It's under Settings > Applications > Pictures + Camera > "Press and hold camera button to wake up the phone". Enable it and it will work.

Volume button opens the volume bar on the lock screen... what else did you want it to do?

I have a Focus too and I'm getting sick of hardware problems with Samsung. I had the motherboard replaced under warranty because it bricked itself (wasn't even updating or anything, phone just rebooted itself and died - no microSD cards used), battery wouldn't hold half a charge after less than 1 year (had to buy a new one), and camera is way worse than sample pics I see from the Lumia 900. Lately the new battery I got is acting up too, sometimes the OS can't read the charge properly. Once my power button died on me mid-day and battery discharged within a few hours (meanwhile the phone wouldn't boot up).

My friend's Focus bricked randomly too. He managed to re-flash it or something but later on the phone stopped charging batteries. It wasn't a battery problem because his replacement battery didn't work either and he had to sell it to me (which is working fine for me now). It happened just past the 12 month warranty.

It's not just a WP7 issue though. My other friends with Samsung Android phones have terrible hardware problems too. Dead spots on their touch screens (GS2), bricked phones, everyone's Galaxy S stock firmware lags badly, random reboots (GS), overheating, (GS) etc.

None of us are ever going back to Samsung again. Everyone is switching to iPhone, Nokia, or HTC.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Going on a week with mine, and feelings have not changed. Still can't put it down and still plan on keeping. My only regret? I need to get a gel case for this sucka! I love the design. I don't want to see it get ruined. Plus, since I'll be keeping for 20 months until my upgrade (who am I kidding? I'll be upgrading to another phone in 6 months), I need to keep it in pristine condition to keep my resell value up.

Yep. it's here to stay.

nite732

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I,m here to stay. Not trading it or looking for any phones right now. I live this one. First feeling I had for a phone since my ppc6700.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Not only am I keeping it, I am recommending it to everyone I know. First issues is as people say, camera. But honestly I don't care about camera on a phone, never did. It was never a selling point for me, it was just a feature. If I want to take pics, I have my D90 for that. Other than that, the phone is mind blowing. Takes time to learn, but after you do, OS is amazing. I wake up at night just to play around with my Lumia.

I would've never given WP a chance if it wasn't for Nokia, I think many new WP users are like that. Always wanted to try WP before Lumia, but couldn't see myself using it with ugly HTC/Samsung hardware.

So to answer your question, YES.. I am definitely keeping it.

And to those complaining about weak camera, lack of headphones, etc. You have to understand it was purely a business decision to make sure that Lumia 900 meets $99 price point. Higher spec Nokias will come next year as Nokia stated themselves.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So I have the Samsung Focus S at present and am thinking of selling it and buying the Lumia off contract. IMO, it's a much better phone in terms of the other services it offers in addition to the great OS, but I'm wondering how the camera quality compares to the Focus S. Can anyone comment on that? Not a deal breaker, but I do like good quality pictures, since I use it as my primary camera.

I did what you are considering to do. I sold my focus s to get lumia 900 off contract...

Without a doubt, the camera on the focus S is significantly better than the lumia 900 camera. It is not even close. The ability to focus and capturing a shot even if there was slight movement is very good. I was able to capture nice shots in motion while in hawaii on a train, it was impressive.

The slightest movement on the 900, it will cause a blur on the object you are focusing on. You really need to be steady and use the auto focus whereas i didnt really have to do that with the focus S...

Then there is the issue with low lighted areas or indoors which would result in grainy looking pictures with a lot of noise. The autofix makes it lighter, but you can see the noise stand out.

If the camera is important, keep the focus S and wait till apollo comes out. Samsung will come out with a wp8 phone and probably will have a better camera than the focus S. I was impressed by the focus S camera, it was my main camera during my vacationing instead of my digi camera.

Everything else, i like the 900. The build, the feel, the screen, smoothness...

Only other issue i have with 900 is the smudgness you get on the screen and no replaceable battery.

willyg512

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Um, if you read the reviews on WPCentral, they specifically pointed out that the vibration unit in the Lumia 900 has a weird sound to it... it's probably not a good sound (I don't have one yet) but it's not a defect.

Camera button waking the phone from sleep is a setting. It's under Settings > Applications > Pictures + Camera > "Press and hold camera button to wake up the phone". Enable it and it will work.

Volume button opens the volume bar on the lock screen... what else did you want it to do?

I have a Focus too and I'm getting sick of hardware problems with Samsung. I had the motherboard replaced under warranty because it bricked itself (wasn't even updating or anything, phone just rebooted itself and died - no microSD cards used), battery wouldn't hold half a charge after less than 1 year (had to buy a new one), and camera is way worse than sample pics I see from the Lumia 900. Lately the new battery I got is acting up too, sometimes the OS can't read the charge properly. Once my power button died on me mid-day and battery discharged within a few hours (meanwhile the phone wouldn't boot up).

My friend's Focus bricked randomly too. He managed to re-flash it or something but later on the phone stopped charging batteries. It wasn't a battery problem because his replacement battery didn't work either and he had to sell it to me (which is working fine for me now). It happened just past the 12 month warranty.

It's not just a WP7 issue though. My other friends with Samsung Android phones have terrible hardware problems too. Dead spots on their touch screens (GS2), bricked phones, everyone's Galaxy S stock firmware lags badly, random reboots (GS), overheating, (GS) etc.

None of us are ever going back to Samsung again. Everyone is switching to iPhone, Nokia, or HTC.

wow sounds like my experiences with Samsung (gs2) (Gs) I'm more than happy with my 900 though. It's my first windows 7 phone, and I must say I'm verry impressed with the Os! Very smooth (blows android out of the water) and getting used to windows7 is easy. Only my 3rd day having the phone and I'm already all about the tiles.

Definitely keeping the 900 and will be turning others onto it as well!

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Mine is enabled and only works about 30% of the time.
If i was stuck with the phone out of warranty, it wouldn't be a big deal. But i am going to return this phone for a white one or another black one next week.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm absolutely keeping the Lumia 900. I did my research and I knew what few weak points it had going in. I still have my original Focus, with 32GB microSDHC installed, and I do find having only 16GB of storage (as advertised) quite limiting. However, while early reviews did say the camera wasn't top of the line, I certainly didn't expect it to be excellent, given the pricing. I did expect it to be better than my Focus camera---which it most definitely is. Let's face it, the iPhone 4S set the bar for smartphone cameras and, as far as I can tell, only the HTC Titan and Titan II give it a run for its money. But for ANYone to expect a stellar camera in current smartphones is just plain silly. We'll have to settle for "good-enough" cameras on smartphones until they can cheaply get full SLR equipment including mechanical zoom (not digital zoom) into our devices. As it is, I'm very happy with the camera on the Lumia 900. Of course, I don't by a smartphone for the camera, I buy it for the OS and its computing capability. However, on a sidenote, I was surprised to find that the front facing camera is actually VERY good for Skype and Tango.

swc_ant

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine is enabled and only works about 30% of the time.
If i was stuck with the phone out of warranty, it wouldn't be a big deal. But i am going to return this phone for a white one or another black one next week.

I had the same problem with my Focus until I realized that if you have "prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked" enabled (same menu in settings), the camera button is disabled when your finger covers the proximity sensor. I used to hold my phone in a way where my left hand covers the proximity sensor when I'm trying to unlock the phone to camera and it wasn't working until I stopped doing it.

Not saying you don't have a defective unit, but have you tried this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss