Anyone switching to a Nokia due to exclusive apps?

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd say just stick to your 8X mate. The 8X really isn't a bad device. It's beautiful and very good! But if I was you, I wouldn't even consider getting the HTC. I know it's a great device but HTC doesn't have a good service center in Malaysia and they don't really provide us with good service unlike Nokia, hardware-wise and software-wise. My friend has got a HTC One X and HTC Malaysia don't seem to give him all the support unlike I have with Nokia.

The reason why I choose Nokia instead is:

• Nokia is fully committed to Windows Phone and will definitely give all the support.
  • Nokia has rolled out tons and tons of update and it keeps on coming - good sign that they're giving out good service!
  • I'm a Nokia fan and has been using Nokia phones for a very long time.
  • I want to stay away from the mainstreams.
  • The exclusive apps which some may be available for non-Nokia phones, but newer ones are expected to come.
  • Sturdy and great build quality.
  • Fantastic camera.
  • What more?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what exactly the exlusive apps are on the HTC 8X? I've been to the store and looked at both the 810 or 820 and the 8X...I like the HTC 8X better. But, I forgot to see what the HTC Apps were. I heard there wasn't many HTC Apps on the 8X, so if anyone can please run down a list for me, that will really help! Thanks! :smile:

HTC -> A digital watch for the Home Screen with some weather functions. For my taste pretty useless.
Connection Setup -> To set up your provider. I think every unlocked phone does have this (also Samsung and Nokia).
Flashlight -> A pretty nice flashlight app using the camera's flash.
Photo Enhancer -> Probably 'enhancing' photos, I don't use apps that do random things to my pictures.
Converter -> A converter.
Make More Space -> Something useless.

Obviously I don't use any HTC apps regularly.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Y'all here are leaning towards Nokia. I personally went from the Lumia 800 > 820 > HTC 8X.

Reason for the switch away from Nokia? Bad bad bad bad bad customer service. Yes, it may be an isolated incident, but heck, I don't even use any of Nokia's exclusive apps. Xpress has terrible UI and is painfully slow. I don't use navigation. I don't use lenses. The phone is too wide, I can't type with one-hand.

Made the switch over to the 8X (they cost the same, second hand). Didn't look back. Yes, I'm jealous that Nokia gets all the exclusive games, but I'm not that huge of a gamer. The 8X is thinner, lighter, and just better (IMHO). And definitely way more attractive.

HTC > Lumia IMHO.

Also, I've set lock screen timeout to 5 minutes, sometimes I put my phone on a stand, and I can see the time from about 1.5m away with the HTC Clock.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
HTC -> A digital watch for the Home Screen with some weather functions. For my taste pretty useless.

The HTC app I loved the most. I would just stare blankly into the weather. The animated weather was BEAUTIFUL for me. I want it on my Nokia Lumia 920 >_<

Flashlight -> A pretty nice flashlight app using the camera's flash.

Clean, permissions all set correctly, no ads/charge for it. Has a nice SOS function to it too (click on the ellipses, tap SOS, then point the flash to the sky. You're now ready to be rescued)

Photo Enhancer -> Probably 'enhancing' photos, I don't use apps that do random things to my pictures.

Think Instagram filters. Easiest way to explain this app.

Make More Space -> Something useless.

What? Never heard of this? Must be a WP8 exclusive one.

Obviously I don't use any HTC apps regularly.

I used them a fair bit on my HTC TITAN.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I used an 8X for 2 months. Having used a Lumia 800 previously, I missed Nokia's exclusive apps. So I sold the 8X and got a L920. Is it worth the switch? Depends on you I suppose. The quality of the exclusive apps is worlds apart compared to the HTC apps.

The L920 also has a more quality build to it. Not to mention the amazing low light camera.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For me, Nokia exclusive ApS wasn't a motivating factor since the 920 was my first WP. However, now that I have a Nokia device, it would be an issue.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What? Never heard of this? Must be a WP8 exclusive one.

It gives you a list of how much space "music+videos", "pictures" and "documents" needs, and provides a shortcut to the built in hubs. Maybe there would be more functions with an SD card, I don't know. For the 8X it basically does nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h