App reset button counterpart in Mobile?

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, this might be a silly question but I've been searching this button for literally an hour, checked online, I can't find it.
My skype preview with SMS relay is working like a charm on my Windows 10 Surface pro 3 since I reset the app from: settings -> System -> Apps & Features -> Advanced -> reset.
It's super fast now, and requires much less space on HDD, moreover, all contacts now are matched again with their pictures.

I've been trying to do the same on my Lumia 640 for an hour but I can't find that option anywhere. Installing and reinstalling the app doesn't help, since it keeps all the settings. Is there a secret switch to enable that? Did they put that button somewhere else? There's no Apps & Features in WM10 but you can reach the very same options by going under System -> storage -> select storage -> click app -> advanced. Unfortunately there's no reset button there.
Anyone helping me?

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
No. No no, and no.
I'm talking about APP reset, not the hard reset button that takes the phone back to factory default.
Read carefully the question before giving advices like that, not all people are tech savvy and might really follow your instruction.

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I can answer my own thread. After researching, it seems they implemented this feature in Windows 10 but not in its mobile counterpart. :(
Since there are some threads in the feedback hub about this, i suggest anyone interested in this 'feature' to upvote.

You can close thread.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can answer my own thread. After researching, it seems they implemented this feature in Windows 10 but not in its mobile counterpart. :(
Since there are some threads in the feedback hub about this, i suggest anyone interested in this 'feature' to upvote.

You can close thread.
One more thing before we close this :) if you turn the app off in the backup settings (meaning its settings should not be backed up), then run a backup, then uninstall, and then reinstall, does it not give you a clean install? It should, right?

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Not that I know. The only way I found to make a clean install of an app (aka start from scratch) in winmobile is an hard reset.
I'm installing seems to leave data.

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Sorry autocorrect screwed it up. I meant uninstalling seems to leave data there in the phone, even if you turned off backup.
Did you have a different experience?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry autocorrect screwed it up. I meant uninstalling seems to leave data there in the phone, even if you turned off backup.
Did you have a different experience?
And just to make sure, you turned off backup for that app, and then you successfully completed a phone backup, then you deleted the app, then rebooted (what the heck, why not), and only then reinstalled?

I don't have experience, it's just that when you reinstall, usually the app goes through a 'restoring user settings' phase, during which it downloads saved info. I thought that restoring stage uses the last backup. Maybe disabling backup doesn't actually delete the stored data, but it seems weird that MS would allocate backup space for an app that the user doesn't want backed up.

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
YES!!! It worked!!! My app storage for Skype Preview went down from 0.5Gb to 80Mb!!! And now it's fast!!!
While it's outrageous we have to do this, it worked perfectly.
Here the steps:
0. Uninstall skype preview.
1. Go to settings -> Update and Security -> Backup.
2. Disable Backup content from participating apps.
3. Go to More options.
4. Disable automatic backups.
5. Log on onedrive.live.com with your Microsoft account, then go to "get more storage" option. (bottom left corner)
6. Go to Device backup and delete your phone backup. (it didn't work before because I didn't do this!)
7. Restart your phone.
8. Install skype preview. It will still say "Restoring user data" but that will be fast, and really restore nothing.
9. Fire up skype preview. All the settings should be reset, and conversations downloaded for the last day or so.
10. Go to backup again, enable everything again, and take a manual backup. It will backup everything and disable the backup again because you've deleted the backup on onedrive. Re-enable backups.
11. Take another manual backup. It will take a lot since it's not a delta but a full backup. Next backups will be much faster.

Happy "faster" skype preview.
Note: For anyone who wants to try this, come back in a few days, i'll post any issues I have encountered.

@Joe920: Really, really thank you. I totally forgot the backup option on windows mobile 10. Thanks so much for tipping me to the right direction. I owe you a beer.

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
No. No no, and no.
I'm talking about APP reset, not the hard reset button that takes the phone back to factory default.
Read carefully the question before giving advices like that, not all people are tech savvy and might really follow your instruction.

My sincere apologies for the confusion, let me correct myself there is no app reset option in windows 10 mobile. The only way to achieve is to either do a soft reset or reinstall the app.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
YES!!! It worked!!! My app storage for Skype Preview went down from 0.5Gb to 80Mb!!! And now it's fast!!!

@Joe920: Really, really thank you. I totally forgot the backup option on windows mobile 10. Thanks so much for tipping me to the right direction. I owe you a beer.
Haha, my pleasure, glad I could help. I appreciate the beer, but it's not necessary since this was a collaboration. I would never have come up with deleting the entire phone backup on OneDrive. Nice one! :)

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
on a related note, it would be great if one could reset and re-install an app from the store instead of having to remove and re-install it.
Yes it would.. If android can have this functionality, there is no reason to keep it away from w10m users
Fun fact, there is IN Windows 10 but not on mobile.. I strongly suggest you to vote in the feedback hub if you want it, given the state of certain apps in WinMo10 i think it's really needed. There are a few threads about it scattered all around (as always. why people can't search threads before posting a new one?), I upvoted all I could find. Search for "app reset" in the mobile feedback hub and sort by upvotes.

Haha, my pleasure, glad I could help. I appreciate the beer, but it's not necessary since this was a collaboration. I would never have come up with deleting the entire phone backup on OneDrive. Nice one! :)
I had to, I was desperate. I really need skype to chat with my gf, but it slowed down to a point it took me 15-20 seconds only to open the conversation.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Fun fact, there is IN Windows 10 but not on mobile.. I strongly suggest you to vote in the feedback hub if you want it, given the state of certain apps in WinMo10 i think it's really needed. There are a few threads about it scattered all around (as always. why people can't search threads before posting a new one?), I upvoted all I could find. Search for "app reset" in the mobile feedback hub and sort by upvotes.

Fun facts..

1. Yes I knew that we do have this option on PC, as I was one of the first to post a thread about it :p
2. I have upvoted those suggestions a long time ago

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If both of you would have had iphone, both could have done face time with no problem

But they don't... so they're working with what they have and with a little bit of tinkering (which we shouldn't always have to do) they got things to work :)

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Fun facts..

1. Yes I knew that we do have this option on PC, as I was one of the first to post a thread about it :p
2. I have upvoted those suggestions a long time ago
Ops. Sorry. :p
I swear i did search in the forums about the reset for apps on mobile, and i didn't find your thread.

But they don't... so they're working with what they have and with a little bit of tinkering (which we shouldn't always have to do) they got things to work :)
Exactly. Actually i like the OS much more than the other mobile counterparts, but i know it's my personal taste. Yes, we don't have a lot of apps, and yes, we're probably second class citizens, but still, some of us still likes the platform. I was asking for a suggestion, and the "if you had an iPhone.." thingy really adds nothing to the thread.
BTW i agree, such kind of tinkering is a nonsense. They should really fix this. No excuses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb