App suggestions for new user?

Jens Ansorg

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
hi there, I'm seriously looking at the new Lumias and WP10 running there, coming from an Android Nexus, actually two: a 5 and a 9. I'm intrigued by the idea of having the same OS running on Desktop, tablet (still to pick a nice 4:3 8" device) and phone (950)

I have quite a bunch apps installed on my devices but I think there are only a couple that I feel necessary and wonder what the Situation in WindowsPhone is in this regard. And I wonder how others deal with those situations. Oh, and I'm not afraid of paying for Software although free is always nice :)

My obvious Google account is only used as far as I need it on the devices: playstore and related Emails.
Oh and one more Thing: Google Hangouts Messenger! Since I will need to keep in touch with others on both Android and iOS it woud be awesome to have that on WP. Why hangouts? Because it syncs flawlessly across devices and is available on the web (even in the edge browser in the Emulator). Is there another Messenger Service with the same broad availability?

Google+ and Photos are nice as well but I think the web version would be sufficient.The other Google stuff is not essential. Calendar and Contacts are supposed to move from Google to my Synology anyway.

Then there is Geocaching. A quick look at the Desktop store is not encouraging :-( I'm used to an app that Supports offline maps, has an offline database of Caches, which get imported from downloaded pocket query ZIP files and a host of other useful Tools. This seems pretty hard to replace.

Firefox! Where is it? <sad face> On iOS its more of a joke but on Android you get the full addon power (adblock, Cookie, privacy Management etc.) and of course sync of all Kinds of app Settings and data between all devices (even to my test iDevices at work). Beeing limited to Edge on a Windows Phone will be a hard to swallow setback :-(

A good Feedly Reader? Although I think about going with wallabag, hosting my own Service for News syncing.

No third Party keybards in Windows Phone? That means only copy/paste for keepass-stored login data? Ok, fine.

A Banking4A alternative? Yes, there is Banking4W but its Desktop "W" only :-(

I think thats it with the important stuff for today.

Happy about every Suggestion coming in :)

thanks

If the spelling in here is weird thats Edges fault, could not figure out how to Switch to english for spell checking on a german Windows and autocorrect capitalizes everything!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes