Are you satisfied with Microsoft's digital voice assistant- POLL

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems pretty cool with quite a lot of functionality, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it. It will be something I would have to try in person to gauge how useful it will be in my personal use. It looks promising though. Sometimes it sounds a bit too robotic though, so hopefully that is something that will improve over time. Obviously accuracy in voice recognition is another concern, as we saw in the demonstration.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Seems pretty cool with quite a lot of functionality, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it. It will be something I would have to try in person to gauge how useful it will be in my personal use. It looks promising though. Sometimes it sounds a bit too robotic though, so hopefully that is something that will improve over time. Obviously accuracy in voice recognition is another concern, as we saw in the demonstration.

there is room for improvement , it will be launched as beta :smile:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of videos of people talking about what it can do, but very few clips of people actually using it.

Because of the few examples of interacting with cortana, I'm skeptical of cortana. It is version 1.0 after all.

I "typed " this with Google Now.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Too little info to say a conclusion about Cortana yet. We have no info on real world usage, region releases, privacy controls, etc.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I saw at the BUILD presentation it looks like Cortana is far better than I ever thought it could be at launch. It really does seem like Microsoft has managed to meld the intelligence of Google's Now Cards with the voice integration of Siri and one-upped both platforms. Seems also that, unlike Google and Apple, gives you the ability to have more finite control over what Cortana can absorb and know about you and your data.

Big win for Microsoft.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll be curious to see if Nokia and their Windows Phone kung-fu team will be able to take Cortana and their current hardware (925, 930, 1020, Icon, etc..) and provide some Moto X style always on capabilities.

Until I changed over to the Lumia 925 a few weeks ago I had been using a Moto X and being able to say "Ok Google Now" while driving and as a quick easy way to interact with my mobile was huge.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I voted "gimmick" since it's not a feature I'll use. I don't even like talking ON the phone, so I won't be talking TO the phone.

AzmoD3uS

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Should be pretty useful when i'm at the office, considering we use the calendar a lot and invites and all that stuff for meetings. Plus, i can show it off to impress non-WP using friends.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
For a beta, its awesome. The reminders via location is so cool. Even if you don't use it frequently, its great to have when needed. I'm still concerned about Bing vision and qr code. Voice recognition was at 90%, but its a beta. It must be awkward as a presenter and your product making mistakes. Even then, some of his sentences were pretty complex and cortana still understood. I'm excited to use it. I was sad to find out you couldn't change the name, but cortana is still a pretty awesome name.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I expected they would show a pre-scripted voice during the demo and they did. I expected it wouldn't understand you a few times and it didn't. I expected it would be basically siri, and it was. I'm not sure if satisfied is the word. it was exactly as predicted: a copy of what's out there two years after it should have shipped. it has a lot of potential sure, but doesn't feel like a killer feature. nearly every example was already something you have on siri or google now. MSFT argued they didn't want to do the same thing so that is why they hadn't released it...well it was the same, in fact a bit less. Then again, it was all really just PR from MSFT to buy time while they were busy copying the feature from apple and google.

I will try to use it and certainly it is better than the old "bing XYZ" which btw, freaking awful. But I was hoping they would blow expectations away. They just met them. barrely. and yeah, while some may say it is beta ETC. These are the mobile wars. You can't just ship late and match, you have to exceed.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I expected they would show a pre-scripted voice during the demo and they did. I expected it wouldn't understand you a few times and it didn't. I expected it would be basically siri, and it was. I'm not sure if satisfied is the word. it was exactly as predicted: a copy of what's out there two years after it should have shipped. it has a lot of potential sure, but doesn't feel like a killer feature. nearly every example was already something you have on siri or google now. MSFT argued they didn't want to do the same thing so that is why they hadn't released it...well it was the same, in fact a bit less. Then again, it was all really just PR from MSFT to buy time while they were busy copying the feature from apple and google.

I will try to use it and certainly it is better than the old "bing XYZ" which btw, freaking awful. But I was hoping they would blow expectations away. They just met them. barrely. and yeah, while some may say it is beta ETC. These are the mobile wars. You can't just ship late and match, you have to exceed.

Completely agree, the only thing I think where this excels is it combines both Siri and Google Now into one essentially. But this is very easily attainable by Google or Apple. Nothing innovative here

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb