Are you thankful that your Nokia Lumia 930 is...

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
NOT Android?
You see, I switched from HTC One X to NL930. I LOVE the vastly superior camera to any Android phones I have seen so far. The only let down is lack of apps (I am sure you all heard this MANY, MANY times already).
1) If you are thankful NL930 is NOT Android, tell me why so that I can counter my Android friends argument.
2) Also, how do you counter the point that WP lacks apps (it is true, we can't deny that)?
Thanks.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
...a Windows Phone device with an amazing camera and a screen to match!

I have all the apps that i really NEED and new apps arrive daily so cannot really complain.

maleheo p

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Why the need to counter anyone? Just enjoy your phone. I'd be using a 930 right now if this phone could connect to Tmobile's LTE band.

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Why the need to counter anyone? Just enjoy your phone. I'd be using a 930 right now if this phone could connect to Tmobile's LTE band.

Yeah... especially as there's not much to counter with. The camera's actually not quite as good as the best Androids, it even loses out to the res-deficient iPhone 6+ in terms of the lack of smeariness in the image and exposure consistency and it's noticeably sluggish (well, at this point in time WP is sluggish, period) in all camera apps, meaning you really need the OIS to be able to take steady shots, though it's nowhere near as bad as the 1020 in that respect (though obviously the 1020 takes standout shots to compensate).

The SoC is last year's latest and greatest of course and the design is super 'meh' IMO. It's also kinda heavy for it's spec, how it's built and the battery it has. It's a nice phone in isolation and WP looks great on it but I just can't really get excited about it when I have other, better Android and iOS phones. For all its slowness (on top of slow WP...) and inferior display I actually still find the 1020 more appealing in many respects.

Best to just enjoy the phone and stop trying to find ways your phone is better than the best of Android and iOS - because until MS releases a real flagship and gets the OS to a more complete state (let alone the dire state of the Store), it's not.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just my opinion, but I haven't seen a camera on Android that could beat our (Lumia) cameras on every level.. In the long run, lumia has the best cameras available, but the difference would only shine through for those that are real photographers... Just saying :)

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've never used LTE I mean we have it in the Bahamas but I don't care 3G/HSPA+ seems more than fast enough and LTE kills your battery much more, is the speed really that much needed for your needs just wondering?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion, but I haven't seen a camera on Android that could beat our (Lumia) cameras on every level..

You should try out a Sony Xperia Z3. It's a little more difficult to use in the sense that Sony's camera app isn't as noob-friendly as Nokia's, but the imaging is quite good, specially in low light.
It still won't blast away the Nokia 1020...but then again, only the Nokia 808 can do that by a slight margin anyway. But taking the Nokia-camera's-disguised-as-phones out of the equation, the competition on Android and even iOS has pretty much matched when not surpassed the quality of the cameras in the likes of the 930 or 1520. Which is understandable as the Nokia/Microsoft deal practically stopped all the camera innovation for almost a year which allowed the competition, which was a year behind Nokia, to catch up. That's something Microsoft will now have to decide what to do. Will they significantly invest in the imaging department to try and get ahead again or will they just don't bother and put things on cruise-control and move only as fast as the competition...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You should try out a Sony Xperia Z3. It's a little more difficult to use in the sense that Sony's camera app isn't as noob-friendly as Nokia's, but the imaging is quite good, specially in low light.
It still won't blast away the Nokia 1020...but then again, only the Nokia 808 can do that by a slight margin anyway. But taking the Nokia-camera's-disguised-as-phones out of the equation, the competition on Android and even iOS has pretty much matched when not surpassed the quality of the cameras in the likes of the 930 or 1520. Which is understandable as the Nokia/Microsoft deal practically stopped all the camera innovation for almost a year which allowed the competition, which was a year behind Nokia, to catch up. That's something Microsoft will now have to decide what to do. Will they significantly invest in the imaging department to try and get ahead again or will they just don't bother and put things on cruise-control and move only as fast as the competition...

You make a valid point. I did indeed play around with the Z3.. I needed a new phone and the SoC on that phone had me drooling :confused: Yes Sony would be right next to the Lumia line when it comes down to the cameras. Also I did not consider the fact that MS has simply not been innovative in the camera department as of late, but in my head that was going to be rectified in 2015. I mean why would they release a camera update (Denim) if ultimately they weren't going to work on the camera itself, right? I'm eagerly awaiting mid 2015 to see whether MS impresses the world or just drops the ball :/

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
For OP's second question, ask them why they need so many flashlight apps and thousands of calendars and mail clients. WP only has 500k apps to choose from. So what?
If they mention the lack of support from some key companies/devs, what WP still has going for it is that of the quality apps that are available for WP, there is often a common design language that reflects Microsoft's Modern UI, which has the effect of one integrated experience, rather than just a shell that has some discombobulated bits of software rattling around inside.
:grin:

Edit: Plus, the so-called "app-gap" can be expected since Windows Phone proper has been around for 2 years less than Android and 4 years less than iOS. Despite the given version number, it's only on version 2 if you don't count the old Windows Mobile.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
@DJCBS, @ven07

Being the owner of a Z3 I can say I'm quite happy with the performance of the camera so far. I'm still getting used to it as it's different to the Lumias but I'm taking way better shots than what my L920 did. There are some issues with some aspects of the camera but overall it's great. I hope they adjust the camera software with 5.01 update.

Sony is 3rd or 4th in camera technology so they're not going to sit back and let MS run rampant saying they have the best camera. Their next camera sensor is sounding very interesting.

@idokamaroq

The app gap is real and to suggest it isn't is to have your head in the sand. Also the apps on WP, by the developer, are far inferior to those on other platforms.

The two year thing doesn't wash either and no, not all apps are using the MS Modern UI for their apps. These are all excuses that we as WP users like to tell ourselves so we can be confident about our choice.

As someone has already said on here. If WP is what you want to use, be happy with it. Stop comparing and just enjoy it. If you feel it lacks than go elsewhere until either it catches up or flops. Waiting in anticipation is not a state I wish to continue in, it's exhausting. Maybe it's my age or something.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The app gap is real and to suggest it isn't is to have your head in the sand. Also the apps on WP, by the developer, are far inferior to those on other platforms.
How are you defining the app gap? The problem I have with the subject is that the majority of people I've seen arguing against the WP ecosystem just say that there aren't as many apps to choose from. I don't understand why having 500,000 apps is too little.
I'll admit to the quality issue. I see that.

The two year thing doesn't wash either and no, not all apps are using the MS Modern UI for their apps. These are all excuses that we as WP users like to tell ourselves so we can be confident about our choice.
Why not? Android wasn't where it is now two years ago, and what's currently being compared is WP's store now to android's store now, two years wiser. Sure, we're living now, but I wouldn't compare a high school or college freshman's knowledge to a junior's, or compare a 2012 LeMans Peugeot to a 2014 LeMans Audi.
I didn't say all apps did use the Modern UI. I said that the good ones "often" do. That's completely subjective, and it comes from my experience on the platform.

As someone has already said on here. If WP is what you want to use, be happy with it. Stop comparing and just enjoy it. If you feel it lacks than go elsewhere until either it catches up or flops. Waiting in anticipation is not a state I wish to continue in, it's exhausting. Maybe it's my age or something.
I'll bite on that. To some degree, anyway. I enjoy anticipation (part of the reason why I'm here... Sue me), and comparative arguments will always exist until either human nature fundamentally changes or every area of consumerism becomes monopolistic.

Look, OP asked for some reasons to "counter the point that WP lacks apps," and I gave my opinion. That's all I tried to do.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How are you defining the app gap? The problem I have with the subject is that the majority of people I've seen arguing against the WP ecosystem just say that there aren't as many apps to choose from. I don't understand why having 500,000 apps is too little.
I'll admit to the quality issue. I see that.

I'm not talking quantity of apps either. If you compare Instagram between WP and Android it's night and day. There's many apps missing from major developers, only some have recently come on, like Candy Crush (not that I care). It's a question of what a person wants. If you want the latest and greatest thing, WP is not for you. Simple. If you're a person who's happy with what's available then WP is fine. Each person is different. WP is last when getting apps and updates. To argue otherwise is to simply ignore the truth. You don't have to go too far to find the truth of this. Look at any poster advertising apps and it's unlikely that WP app would be available. Please don't tell me to use a third party or web app because that's not what I'm referring to here. I'm talking the real thing. It's an image thing, whether you like it or not. It's a problem that has to be addressed.

Why not? Android wasn't where it is now two years ago, and what's currently being compared is WP's store now to android's store now, two years wiser. Sure, we're living now, but I wouldn't compare a high school or college freshman's knowledge to a junior's, or compare a 2012 LeMans Peugeot to a 2014 LeMans Audi.
I didn't say all apps did use the Modern UI. I said that the good ones "often" do. That's completely subjective, and it comes from my experience on the platform.

If you're going by simply WP then you should include 7 in the mix should you not? Are we to just ignore that? Developer take up for 7 was dismal and 8 has been and still is sluggish. It's fine to tout how great WP is and if it works for you great but don't pretend it's not got a far way to go when it comes to apps.

I'll bite on that. To some degree, anyway. I enjoy anticipation (part of the reason why I'm here... Sue me), and comparative arguments will always exist until either human nature fundamentally changes or every area of consumerism becomes monopolistic.

Look, OP asked for some reasons to "counter the point that WP lacks apps," and I gave my opinion. That's all I tried to do.

There is no reason to compare Android vs iOS vs WP. They're all different in their own way and appeal to people for different reasons. To say X OS is better then you're missing the point. I like selection. I like options. I think it's great but none of the OSs are on par with each other. None are perfect for everyone. They appeal to different people for different reason.

If you're a WP user, just enjoy the phone. What's the need to show off? You can't compete customisation wise with Android. You can't compete with apps with either iOS or Android and you can't compete on a flagship level. Only low/mid range WPs kick **** currently because they run like a flagship phone for the most part. That's the beauty of WP currently. It's great for low/mid range phones.

There's nothing flashy or special about WP other than that. Camera wise the competition is catching up and will continue to improve.

The competition isn't going to sit still and the goal posts will continue to move. If WP is to gain any traction it needs to either get ahead or at least come up to par. It's at neither currently.

Whether you agree with any of that is up to you. My suggestion to the OP stands. Enjoy your phone is if that is what you want. If you need to impress your friends you have the wrong phone.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're going by simply WP then you should include 7 in the mix should you not? Are we to just ignore that?
I was taking 7 into account. It was released in 2010, two years after Android's release in 2008.

Again, OP asked for ways to "counter the point that WP lacks apps." My intent isn't to dismiss the claim against the platform entirely, just offer some light in WP's corner of the ring. I don't get how just enjoying WP as it is and letting it be is a valid way to "counter the point that WP lacks apps," whether OP should be doing so or not. I was trying to respond with what they asked for, nothing more. There are plenty other threads to discuss the existence/severity of the "app gap," and this isn't one of them.

Other than that, OK, you got me. You gave me valid points on the matter that I haven't yet seen (because of those whom I mentioned in my last post, and my admittedly limited, though existent experience in Android), and I didn't come to this thread to argue in the first place. I'll stand down.

Laion

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have never had an iPhone, but I have iPad mini 2 so I have some experience with apps on IOS. I will never get an Android device, because I don't like Google's business model, making money on my information. I don't play much games with my phone so I couldn't care less which platform has the best games. So far, after one year, I haven't found a decent Wikipedia or YouTube apps from the appraised Apple Appstore, which are really beautiful on Windows phone. Yes, there are many beautiful apps on IOS and I like my iPad, but most of the apps in the store are just useless. You just need to look at various listings of the "apps of the month". Install and uninstall after five minutes. IOS apps are more expensive than WP apps and on IOS you don't get free trials as you get on WP. IOS works fine but it's boring. Looks still the same as my first iPod touch many years ago. Hardware wise you cannot compare Android with the other two platforms, because they work much better with last year's specs than Android with today's hardware. Hacking and viruses; it's Android's problem not found on IOS or WP. One more plus for WP are the offline maps. They are really useful to save data and a must if you go abroad, because normal people cannot afford to pay today's roaming fees to navigate in your holiday destination if you have only online maps. I bought my 930 about one month ago to replace my 820. I might have bought an iPhone if it was cheaper, but I paid approximately half the price for my 930 and got a really good phone for my money. Maybe my next phone will be an iPhone, maybe it will be another WP. They are both really good.

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Just my opinion, but I haven't seen a camera on Android that could beat our (Lumia) cameras on every level.. In the long run, lumia has the best cameras available, but the difference would only shine through for those that are real photographers... Just saying :)

Like the OP who keeps comparing a new phone to one that's two+ years old, it'll depend on your level of experience. If you like me have a Z3, IP6+, etc and has had many more current handsets in the Android space then you may think differently.

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Like the OP who keeps comparing a new phone to one that's two+ years old, it'll depend on your level of experience. If you like me have a Z3, IP6+, etc and has had many more current handsets in the Android space then you may think differently.

I have tried z3 which makes great pictures . If you are talking just about sharpness and quality then I can tell that it does not beat 930 not close even given it takes raw to work with. I work on photoshop all day and for me at least it's not close.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Being the owner of a Z3 I can say I'm quite happy with the performance of the camera so far. I'm still getting used to it as it's different to the Lumias but I'm taking way better shots than what my L920 did. There are some issues with some aspects of the camera but overall it's great. I hope they adjust the camera software with 5.01 update.

Sony is 3rd or 4th in camera technology so they're not going to sit back and let MS run rampant saying they have the best camera. Their next camera sensor is sounding very interesting.

As the owner of a Z3C I agree that Sony's investment should be in the software department. I'm not sure Sony's Lollipop will bring any enhancements to the camera software but I think they should take the opportunity to overhaul the UI on the camera app.
I'm just not sure I'll update to Lollipop as I really REALLY hate Material Design and its lack of darkness. Google is going way to white and colourful for my tastes and I don't really want to have to use Launchers as I actually quite like Sony's current UI. But we'll see.

The new camera sensors are interesting indeed. But then again, it would be more interesting if they actually worked on the software to match it.
I often use ProCapture as an alternative to the Sony camera software because of that (I like, for example, the ability it gives me to take 21mp photos in 16:9 format)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidCreased