As Apple fumbles, so does Google. Google/Samsung postpones Nexus Prime announcement

Lucky7Phone

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Color us a disappointed shade of blue, but it appears that Samsung and Google have decided not to launch the Galaxy Nexus (or Nexus Prime, or whatever it's called) and Ice Cream Sandwich at their October 11th Unpacked event. The two companies sent out a joint announcement reading:

Samsung and Google decide to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be shortly announced.

The press event on the 11th was expected to be not only the debut for the successor to the Nexus S, but our first good look at the next version of Android. For whatever reason the companies have decided to delay that launch. But, if Eric Schmidt is true to his word, we shouldn't have to wait too much longer... he did promise us that it would launch by November. We'll let you know as soon as we get a new date to expect "something big."

Samsung and Google postpone Ice Cream Sandwich and Galaxy Nexus -- Engadget

I'll just take the "it's not the right time" excuse as more of a business strategic decision, nothing else.

If MS and its OEMS will be presenting new WP7.5 phones at CTIA, I hope they'll get aggressive.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they didn't want a piddly single core WP7 phone being as fast or faster than their dual core monster :p

If the leaked specs are correct on that phone it has to be a SUPER nice screen to look at.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think "We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product" is business speak for "something's unexpectedly gone wrong", because I'm pretty certain just before Christmas and just after your No. 1 rival is usually absolutely the right time to launch a new product. :)

Either way, Apple and WP7/Nokia just got an unexpected boost. No Galaxy Nexus means more 4S sales and for the non-Apple types more looking about elsewhere. If I were Nokia, I'd be desperately trying to get ready to launch to take advantage!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere they were delaying the release due to Steve Jobs funeral. Don't know how true that is.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

L

lumic

Depends if it's classy or it's just Google making the logical move. Releasing now would be drowned in the media coverage of Steve Jobs, and could also be seen as poor taste in general.

Either way, the leaks of ICS and the Nexus Prime disappointed me so bad. It's hilarious to see the Fandroids on Engadget defending their saviour - how I love Google getting rid of hardware buttons and emulating them on-screen. Just shows how much innovation that company is truly capable of.

Lucky7Phone

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
looks like the Steve Jobs thing was more of a cover.

Google/Samsung moving announcment to October 27 in London, same location but one day after Nokia World

The news that Samsung and Google had decided to postpone the launch of the Galaxy Nexus smartphone and Ice Cream Sandwich software at a CTIA event in San Diego software surprised a lot of people, a delay that many speculate was as a result of Steve Jobs? passing on Thursday morning.

Just hours after the official co-statement, The Next Web has learned that the postponed event might not be delayed for long, with the new date for the Samsung event being set for October 27.

The location looks to have changed too, with London now welcoming both Samsung and Google to present their new hardware and software.

Whilst Google has remained quiet on the matter, we spoke with someone close to the situation, who mentioned that we ?should be there? at the October 11th event, further reinforcing speculation that the search giant will use this event to unveil Ice Cream Sandwich and everything it has to offer.

So, Android fans, it looks like you will have to wait an extra couple of weeks ? but from what we have seen in the Galaxy Nexus video leak and associated specifications, it will be worth the few extra days.

Samsung and Google to hold Galaxy Nexus event in London on October 27

here's a little Nexus Prime spoof that mynokiablog did :

http://youtu.be/pB_hcepC4Hs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss