AT&T Lumia 950 has PMA charging alongside Qi

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So let me get this straight. Microsoft had no problem manufacturing a special phone for AT&T that added PMA wireless charging but they couldn't support CDMA so those of us on CDMA carriers could use it?

This seems.......off.

Perhaps I don't understand the whole manufacturing process. But it would seem to me they either manufactured a special phone for AT&T or they disabled the PMA in the unlocked device. I don't see why this couldn't have been done with CDMA, especially since it seems like CDMA is something that would actually help to sell more phones, whereas the PMA charging seems like it would be a negligible perk that would have a much smaller affect on sales.

Am I wrong to think this?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The unlocked phones support CDMA, at least the hardware is there. The problem is Verizon won't allow the phone on it's network.
More specifically, I think its that Verizon wouldn't commit to allowing them (without unacceptable Verizon terms) so MS skipped the costly certification and testing.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Would be nice if Verizon and MS could find a middle ground.. Was looking forward to getting the 950 next year... No way I'm gonna "downgrade" to a 735 from my icon...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice if Verizon and MS could find a middle ground.. Was looking forward to getting the 950 next year... No way I'm gonna "downgrade" to a 735 from my icon...
I think MS is understandably tired of dying by a thousand paper cuts and chose a punch in the face. Whether Windows Mobile (and Microsoft Phones) ultimately survive or not, they have no chance if MS lets US carriers continue to call the shots on hardware specs or OS maintenance. Those things are clearly NOT deal breakers for US carriers because that's how it is with Apple phones. This was a case of a carrier thinking it could get its way by bluffing and they lost. Hopefully, they learned something for the next hand.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What is involved in adding PMA charging support? Is it more than just sticking an additional little coil on the inside of the cover?

This. PMA is really barely anything. CDMA support, however, is whole other thing for hardware, radios, drivers, firmware, FCC, etc.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
This. PMA is really barely anything. CDMA support, however, is whole other thing for hardware, radios, drivers, firmware, FCC, etc.

But still, they were willing to add this feature, which really can't see it attracting users to the phone based on PMA charging. Whereas CDMA would open up the door to many more customers. And I understand that there's the whole FCC thing, etc. But the chipset supports it. Can't imagine drivers and firmware being a big issue at all. Not sure what's all needed for hardware, radios for it. But again, CDMA would have brought more sales. Does anyone think that adding PMA charging is going to increase sales?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
But still, they were willing to add this feature, which really can't see it attracting users to the phone based on PMA charging. Whereas CDMA would open up the door to many more customers. And I understand that there's the whole FCC thing, etc. But the chipset supports it. Can't imagine drivers and firmware being a big issue at all. Not sure what's all needed for hardware, radios for it. But again, CDMA would have brought more sales. Does anyone think that adding PMA charging is going to increase sales?

PMA wasn't added to increase sales, AT&T is a PMA supporter, so they want the device to support it. Adding CDMA support is something different altogether. Plus, how many carriers worldwide use CDMA? Not to mention that Verizon seems to site on updates forever before rolling it out. Also, the "chipset supports it" doesn't mean much... depending if it's blocked in firmware, or physically disabled during chip manufacturing.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
PMA wasn't added to increase sales, AT&T is a PMA supporter, so they want the device to support it. Adding CDMA support is something different altogether. Plus, how many carriers worldwide use CDMA? Not to mention that Verizon seems to site on updates forever before rolling it out. Also, the "chipset supports it" doesn't mean much... depending if it's blocked in firmware, or physically disabled during chip manufacturing.

I can't imagine Qualcomm is going to disable features in their chipset. And yes, saying the chipset supports it does mean alot. It means the phone should have the ability to use CDMA. If it's blocked in firmware, that's a simple task for the manufacturer of the phone to undo.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the thing is, no one here knows how it's disabled. Just because you don't think it's disabled 1 way doesn't mean it is or isn't. Everyone can speculate, but no one knows for sure.

So, until someone from MS or Qualcomm state 1 thing or the other, there is no point in arguing about it.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

You're completely missing the point. PMA was added at the request of AT&T, who will carry and (theoretically at least) support the device.

CDMA was disabled because Verizon won't even let the devices in their network. Why should they bother testing and supporting CDMA when the only reason to do so (Verizon) won't allow the phone on their network anyway? It would be completely pointless and give people false hope.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You're completely missing the point. PMA was added at the request of AT&T, who will carry and (theoretically at least) support the device.

CDMA was disabled because Verizon won't even let the devices in their network. Why should they bother testing and supporting CDMA when the only reason to do so (Verizon) won't allow the phone on their network anyway? It would be completely pointless and give people false hope.

Because Verizon can't block the phone from their network. All a person would have to do is insert an activated sim card in.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Because Verizon can't block the phone from their network. All a person would have to do is insert an activated sim card in.

that "may" get them on verizon's LTE network, but not the CDMA portion, which from what I understand, would still be needed for a useful phone on verizon.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
that "may" get them on verizon's LTE network, but not the CDMA portion, which from what I understand, would still be needed for a useful phone on verizon.

Yes, I agree with you. All that would be necessary is for Microsoft to enable CDMA on the phone. If they did that, all a person would have to do is insert a Verizon sim in the phone and done. That's the whole argument I'm trying to make here.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Back on topic. Has anybody yet compared the two backs to see what's different and whether the ATT back works for PMA on the unlocked 950? Wonder if it's possible to add PMA to the 950XL?

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I'm also curious if any of the 3rd party replacement backs support both charging standards. I've got the AT&T 950 and would hate to think I would lose PMA if I got one of those nice leather backs.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I bet that an extra SKU from Back Cover manufactures would be necessary to facilitate (if it is truly only part of the back cover) PMA & QI wireless charging, therefor, an additional charge for AT&T compatible back plate covers would be seen to cover the cost of the added PMA coil (or what have you)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720