AT&T users NOT having the Outbound Call Quality Problem - Please post HW/FW/SW Info

swansonp

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Just curious on this since some users claim to have exhanged their unit at AT&T and the new unit no longer has the muffled outbound call quality. Maybe there are slightly different versions of firmware/hardware/software that were introduced? This can be found in the Settings-> About-> More Info Section.

I have the outbound call quality problem and here is my phone info:

OS version: 7.10.7720.68
Firmware Revision Number: 1600.2200.11004.502
Hardware revision number: 0002
Radio Software version: 16.23.02.26_A_16.27.00.23U
Radio hardware version: 2.26.0.D4

Thanks.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It may also help to describe your problem in more detail, such as "sounds like I am under water" or "sounds muffled." I think the worst thing I can say about mine is it sounds muffled, and I've had to repeat myself a few times. But no one has complained yet. And experimentation has yielded no mic issue when video recording, for example.

I got my phone the day after it was available.

My versions are identical to yours.

ryosten

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
No issues so far...same revs and versions:

Firmware rev number: 1600.2200.11004.502
Hardware rev number: 0002
Radio Hardware Version: 2.26.0.D4

...maybe you are seeing a network issue?

swansonp

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not a network issue... I have tested repeatedly from several different locations along with another AT&T 4G phone (Atrix 2). Leaving voicemails that I played back on the computer, you can defintely tell that the Titan consistently had a muffled audio quality and the other phone was clear.

If the versions end up being the same for all users, then that leaves only two possibilties.

1. This is just a quality control issue and some people got lucky.
2. Either HTC or AT&T changed software on the later units and this is not traceable through anything we can see.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No issues with my Titan here is my details:

ScreenCapture2.jpg

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Nice! A reason to use the screencapture app...

Same as above...

Muffled is the biggest complaint

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
All my info identical. That seems to leave the possibility of something physical: something about fit& finish of back-plate. supported by success of the brave poster (in call quality thread) who drilled his!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for sticking my nose in where i'm not supposed to but no 7740 update yet ?

The European Titan got that a while ago, surprised you don't have it. :(

My software & bootloader are all newer than the AT&T software mentioned here too.

Hopefully you'll get the update soon that cures all these little annoyances.

(Not so little for some I know)

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
All my info identical. That seems to leave the possibility of something physical: something about fit& finish of back-plate. supported by success of the brave poster (in call quality thread) who drilled his!

That can't be the case because for me, Tango sounds perfect and not all calls are muffled. Just some and it's very random and the severity is random too. It goes from me sounding slightly electronic to not being able to understand me at all.

When my GF calls me on hers she is always muffled sounding. So bad you can hardly understand her.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for sticking my nose in where i'm not supposed to but no 7740 update yet ?

My software & bootloader are all newer than the AT&T software mentioned here too.

I wonder if there is anyway we could flash our phones with the latest bootloader and OS. I am very convinced it's software related. That might be all we need.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That can't be the case because for me, Tango sounds perfect and not all calls are muffled. Just some and it's very random and the severity is random too. It goes from me sounding slightly electronic to not being able to understand me at all.

When my GF calls me on hers she is always muffled sounding. So bad you can hardly understand her.

I think it is complicated and not just a single thing. I believe it's a complex interaction between the noise reduction algorithm, along with acoustic properties of the rear cover AND possibly fitment issues with the bottom mic.

Since the mic itself sounds decent when not using any noise canceling (Tango, video recording, anything but a call), we know it's not a PURE mic issue. That's why, as I've mentioned a million times, I think it can be mostly solved with firmware, by tweaking the way they do the noise canceling/reduction, which, again, is complicated by the rear cover interactions.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
No complains to me here, and also just specifically asked someone how I sounded. Said it was fine.

My info looks just like the OP's.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Muffled voice problem here for 4 phones

Carrier: AT&T
Purchased on: November, 25 2011
Purchased at: MS Store, Los Angeles

---------------------------------------
Bootloader version: 1.10.160015.3(132409)
Chip SOC version: 1.6.0.0
--------------------------------------

Please, post your complains here:
http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/windows-phone/f/174/p/14751/61411.aspx#61411

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Nothing. I plug in to check every morning...

PammyLZ

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

::cough::"hers"::cough:: I'm a girl too, Rocket_Girl. :)

I have a female voice, and I can't be understood either. My brother, on the other hand, male voice and all, is far more understandable than me. So, is the mic not picking up the higher voices as well as the deeper ones??

I think it is complicated and not just a single thing. I believe it's a complex interaction between the noise reduction algorithm, along with acoustic properties of the rear cover AND possibly fitment issues with the bottom mic.

Since the mic itself sounds decent when not using any noise canceling (Tango, video recording, anything but a call), we know it's not a PURE mic issue. That's why, as I've mentioned a million times, I think it can be mostly solved with firmware, by tweaking the way they do the noise canceling/reduction, which, again, is complicated by the rear cover interactions.

I'm the one who drilled, and I just replied to the Call Quality thread (Sorry, I've been sick). The drilling made an improvement. I sound much louder to the other caller. Because I am louder, my brother was able to understand me better, so the call quality was more clear for him. But, he said that there was still a bit of garbledness there like before, so there is still an issue there. So, yes, it is not just one issue causing the problem.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Where is this screencapture app?

It's a Homebrew app...you have to be unlocked, and then sideload it--you can find the xap over on XDA

If you have trouble finding it, pm me and I can send it to you or point you in the proper direction and give you a shove...

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I no longer have the muffled voice problem. I swapped that phone out for a new one. My new phone data:
Bootloader version: 1.10.160015.3(132409)
Chip SOC version: 1.6.0.0

It's not a software fix... I'm telling you the case feels different. What I think would be more interesting is to compare the numbering on the back of the case... I still need to upload the pictures of mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di