ATIV S freezing and rebooting with portico. Anyone else?

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine still keeps rebooting, sometimes multiple times / day. :(
Never used BT nor NFC - both have been turned off since day one.

I think it has something to do with some background services that crash every now and then (for instance SMS backup to Live and so on) but then, I have no way of checking that out. Do you guys still have rebooting problems?

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Try allowing all background tasks on the Ativ S and kicking all not needed apps that run in the background. Since I did that, my Ativ S behaves. Read my post.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I allowed all apps to run in the background and removed those that I don't need (that I would block before). Now my Ativ S runs fine. I posted about this.

michaeloox

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Ativ for a few months now, and random reboots were a problem. They used to happen about once or twice a week, though a few times it happened twice or three times in one day. After I reset the phone to solve file duplication issues throughout my photo albums, the reboots stopped happening. Resetting did solve the two main issues, but now I get severe lag and freezing every few days when I open emails. I don't plan to waste hours on another reset, to juggle current problems for new ones...so I'm going to return the unit.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Many of the freeze / reboot problems come from Skydrive and its integration into the Photos Hub.

Basically what happens is that Apps that access your photo collection (many do that) will also get access to what is displayed there but is on Skydrive.
Here the problems start. Cause... what if the Skydrive files are not available cause there is no data connection. Then Skydrive also does not properly
sync the folder names.

Many of you have noticed how Skydrive folders suddenly loose their icons (smaller picture) and turn grey.

If now you go to Skydrive on your PC and rename all the Folders, they sync your main account, you will either get the folders back or they go away completely.
I create new folders with the old name, add a _N or something, move the files... delete the old empty folders. Now my Skydrive folders now longer show up
which is fine with me.

I think, MS has made a mistake to integrate the Skydrive picture folders here, this should get disabled when you install the Skydrive app on your phone, or get disabled altogether.

In any case, the whole Skydrive thing is buggy crap and needs to get fixed cause most Windows Phone 8 devices have these issues.

Shanonomous

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: ATIV S Perfect absolutely no reboots

Have had the ATIV S for 2 months now, no reboots or other issues. I know how bad this can be after having a Lumia 920 unit that would freeze multiple times per day, Nokia only gave a credit when the teleco staff member took a video of the frozen L920. Love the ATIV S so much more than the L920....

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Bell ATIV S,and the phone came with the portico update already loaded. I'm getting random freezes,maybe once or twice a day. I had one random reboot in the last few days. This sounds exactly like alot of people were experiencing with their lumias and htc 8x. I thought portico was supposed to fix this.

Any other ATIV S owners with this issue ? I know a bunch of lumia 920 and 8x users also still have this problem.

Yes. First make sure your microSD card is good (cat4 32Gb seems to work best), then rename your Skydrive picture folders until they no longer show up under Photo/Albums. Just use the Skydrive app if you need Skydrive. Get the app, LastBootUpTime. Remove any battery level software. Allow all aps to run in background. If there are areas where you get no data, disable data under connection while in such an area.

wissa6876

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
hi : i advice no body to buy ativ s - until they solving the roboots problem
becouse i"ve the same problem - with two phones ativ-s from the first day i buy it

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone for a month now and during those time, while I don't have any rebooting issue, some (not all) of the tiles became unresponsive on 2 occasions. Once shut down and reboot, everything is fine again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta