ATT 1520 - can't update to Win10 - dreaded 'server error, a connection error..' how can I fix this?

Randychloe

May 2, 2016
Visit site
ATT 1520 - can't update to Win10 - dreaded 'server error, a connection error...'

I have an RM-940 from AT&T. Last week I joined the Windows insider program so I could upgrade to Windows 10. I got it to work once, but then a new update came and killed my phone. I was finally able to revert back to 8.1 with the Microsoft restore tool, but now every time I try to run the Windows Insider app, I get the dreaded "'server error - a connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you ...'

I done multiple searches, but it appears there's never been a fix for this. I've trying restore to the original OS a few times, but Windows Insider never works.
Windows-10-for-Phones-Update-Server-Error-Connection-Error-Prevented-Us-from-Download-Programs-4.jpg

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: ATT 1520 - can't update to Win10 - dreaded 'server error, a connection error...'

Kind of a long shot, but have you tried downloading it on a different wifi network? Perhaps at a friends house or shop with free wifi access.

Randychloe

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: ATT 1520 - can't update to Win10 - dreaded 'server error, a connection error...'

I tried the mobile network and several Wifi hot spots.
It is amazing that this error is fairly common and no one has figured it out.
I need Win 10 because a couple apps are on supported on it. So I am left with switching to Android ( the 950XL has a smaller screen and costs hundreds more). Thanks Microsoft!
I'll give this 2 more days, but I don't think anyone has an answer

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same AT&T 1520 and have had zero issues getting the latest Win10 builds on it. I'd suggest doing a hard reset, then make sure the date is correct on the phone... (This is important as an incorrect date will prevent you from doing pretty much everything!) and then reinstalling the insider app and try again.

freddiet22

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

I have an ATT 1520 and did not experience any of those problems, use the MS recovery tool and if it gives you a choice don't choose to use 8.1 I have a slight problem earlier. I had to do that, after it loaded up No problems, and I've been running win 10 since Sept 2015

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the same AT&T 1520 and have had zero issues getting the latest Win10 builds on it. I'd suggest doing a hard reset, then make sure the date is correct on the phone... (This is important as an incorrect date will prevent you from doing pretty much everything!) and then reinstalling the insider app and try again.

I received the "server error" message when trying to upgrade my 822 through insider. Turned out the time zone being incorrect was enough to cause this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb