Audio Book Reader???

hank_marvin

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Had the Nokia 920 about a week, all good, but why are all the audio book readers complete poo?

I think I've tried them all, free and trials. For some unknown reason to me none of them can see books in your audio section of phone storage, they all insist on you downloading them via their store, uploading them to storage then downloading to phone, using mini web servers on pc and then connect with phone and download the books.

Why omit something so simple as dropping audio books onto phone via usb and the app see into your music folder on the phone.

Madness from dev's or OS limitation. Seems so strange, coming from android I had and am still using a very nice simple app that simply see's audio media that is on the phone.

Please tell me I'm missing an app right infront of my face somewhere on the store.

Thanks a lot
Hank

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The standard music player? Well, youre right, it doesnt remember where you left off, I guess... I usually listen through a chapter before ending a "listening session", it might be that...

Let us know if you find a good one :)

Denis Rubin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Audiobook Reader. It simplifies the fake server trick (no uploads),remembers position and lets you put books on the start screen for instant access.

hank_marvin

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
You have to buy Audible books to use with Audible I believe, I couldn't see anyway to make it browse media folders for my audio books.

Nokia music or windows music players don't seem to have sleep timers and of course the main features like remembering last place etc etc are missing.

Just can't work out why there's no reader that can play files you already have on your pc.

hank_marvin

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting unhandled exception errors with "audiobook reader". using the web server to send to phone works great, but as i say those errors stop it working and only a reboot fixes it gets rid of the looping error, shame as a decent app, hopefully a patch will sort it.

Denis Rubin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Audiobook Reader for weeks without any problems on a Nokia 920 with Snooze It Elite as a timer. But I did get an exception error when I tried to pin an mp3 book that had no jpg image file.

Joel Gallagher

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm the developer behind Audiobook Reader (http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=e621879a-6d54-4e20-bbfa-e61897d19273)

As the OP points out, there's currently no functionality that allows simply copying audiobooks onto the device, simple as that. I can't speak for the other dev's, but in my application I tried numerous ways to simplify getting the files on there. In the end I settled for loading from SkyDrive, as everyone will have that as part of their Live account (whether they know it or not).

I was hoping for MSFT to expose more of the functionality in the SDK's so we could side-load the files, but for now we have to work with the alternatives.

Not sure if my app was one of the ones the OP tested, I'm putting out another release in the coming weeks so if there's anything you felt it could be improved by, by all means let me know. I'm only a 1-man shop so can't devote as much time to the app as I'd like, but I do use it every day for my own audiobooks.

cheers,

Joel

Joseph Davis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Joel, I am trying the audiobook player now, I just started using it but so far so good. I would like to see a sleep timer added if possible. The skydrive part doesn't bother me at all. that is my preferred method of accessing my files. If it continues to work well for me I will definitely be buying the full version to support your efforts.

stefanc

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, with my Lumia 920 I can copy Music files to the phone via Explorer. But Audiobook Reader has no file Navigation Option. Is there a Default file Location?

jRob2k

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big audiobook listener. I used Audiobook reader for a while and its probably one of, if not the best readers available on Windows Phone 8. Another option I'm using is to load my books as podcasts and using the built in music app. Unfortunately this means using iTunes to sync with the Windows Phone beta app on windows but its an alternative. My only problem with the audiobook reader app is that some of my files were corrupted or incomplete when they downloaded and i wouldnt notice until half way through the book. I'm sure it was a connection problem on my end when first downloading the stuff.

BrotherDave

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joel, I've noticed that SleepTimer does access the media already (manually placed) on the device. I don't know how. But it was able to find my files I manually labeled as 'podcast'. Unfortunately it doesn't store you location so it's useless as a general audiobook solution. I'm hoping that means that there's a way to search for the media on the device with the tag 'audiobook' or 'podcast' and bring those into audiobook reader.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Dave

Warren Henke

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey Joel,

I'm going to give your app a test. Just wondering if you are still working on it and if you have any new features in the hopper.

I'd love to see this use voice commands. I ride a motorcycle and being able to launch/control an app with voice is a huge benefit! Any chance we may see that feature added?

Thanks!

henkew

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The best way to listen to audio books with WP7 was to use the built in podcast player. WP8 messed this up. But with the new version of the Desktop Application this has gotten a lot easier, although, it still requires a bit of effort. You can use the Desktop App to sync Podcast subscriptions now. As with WP7, listening to audiobooks as a podcast has been the most flexible way I have found to bookmark and play a list of MP3 files subsequently.

This process works. It isn't as easy as the process I used to use with WP7 (setting up a local podcast and grabbing it with Zune), but it is easier than the current method I have been using (uploading my MP3's to my website where I have a podcast running and then grab them using a 3rd party podcast app). Another reason I like this method better is that the WP8 native podcast app seems to work the best for bookmarking and avoiding problems.

Unfortunately, It isn't, however, as easy as just copying MP3 files to the PODCAST directory on your PC and then running the desktop sync. That would have been pretty cool. But no, it takes more than that. And no matter what I do it doesn't seem to grab the podcast art, which is too bad. But other than that it works.

Take your list of MP3 files, update the RELEASETIME field with the correctly formatted date (make the oldest date the last one you want to listen to), copy them to their own folder in the PODCAST directory on your PC, and use the desktop APP to sync. That's it. Now you have your audiobook on your phone, it will bookmark for you and play through your files in order.

Here is my process, simplified. It may sound like a hassle, but it really isn't too hard. I can do it all in a couple of minutes once I have everything in place.

I download 2 programs: Bulk File Changer and MP3Tag (both free and available on CNET).
1. Use Bulk File Changer to set the Create Date/time (it has a feature to increment one day per file).
2. Use MP3Tag to create the RELEASETIME field.
3. Use MP3Tag to copy the Create Date to the RELEASETIME field.
4. Use MP3TAG to convert the RELEASETIME field date to the proper format.
5. Copy your MP3 files to the PODCAST directory.
6. Sync with the Windows Phone Desktop App.

I would add a step to use MP3TAG to add a graphic, but it won't come across anyways. If anyone can figure out how to do this let me know.

For those who would like more details, here they are (note, once you have set this up and done it once, everything is in place to jump through it quickly next time).

1. Set the Create Date field with Bulk File Changer (BFC)
a. Download and Run BFC
b. Click File/Add Files (and select all of your MP3 files)
(make sure they are in the correct order, click the filename field to sort)
c. Highlight the files in BFC and click Actions / Change Time Attributes
d. Check Created and Add (on the created line). Set the increment to 1 Day
e. Change the date (Created) to one at least X days in the past (X =number of files you are renaming).
e. Check Date/TIme Sequences Mode
f. Click "Do It"

2. Use MP3Tag to create the RELEASETIME field. (only required the first time)
a. Click View / Customize Columns
b. Click New
c. Fill in the following fields:
Name: RELEASETIME
Value: %releasetime%
Field: %releasetime%
d. Click Ok

3. Use MP3Tag to copy the Create Date to the RELEASETIME field. (Steps a-j only required the first time)
a. Click Actions / Actions
b. Click the icon for New
c. Call this Action Copy Create Date
d. In the Actions for this item, click the icon for new
e. Select Format Value and press OK
f. For the Field value, select RELEASETIME
g. For the format string, copy and paste this value:
%_file_create_datetime%
h. Click Ok.
i. Click Ok.
j. Click Close.
k. Highlight all your Files
l. Click Actions / Copy Create Date

4. Use MP3TAG to convert the RELEASETIME field date to the proper format. (Steps a-k only required the first time)
a. Click Actions / Actions
b. Click the icon for New
c. Call this Action Convert Releasetime
d. In the Actions for this item, click the icon for new
e. Select Replace with Regular Expression and click OK.
f. For the Field value, select RELEASETIME
g. For the Regular Expression Value copy and past the following:
^(\d\d?)\/(\d\d?)\/(\d\d\d\d).+
h. For the Replace Matches, copy and past the following:
$3-$num($1,2)-$num($2,2)Z
i. Click OK.
j. Click OK.
k. Click Close.
l. Highlight all your Files
m. Click Actions / Convert Releasetime

5. Copy your modified MP3 files to the PODCAST directory.
This is usually located under "My Music" or as a library. Create a new directory under the podcast directory that is the name of your audiobook and copy all files there.

6. Sync with the Microsoft Windows Phone Desktop App.
Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)
You will notice the new version now has an option for Podcasts. If you copied the files in the right location, you will have a podcast available to sync with the same folder name. Sync it. You will now have your audio book on your phone available to listen to as a podcast! You can even pin it and have an icon that you just have to touch and it will instantly start your book wherever you last left off!

wpy#WP

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
One question. the desktop app says i do not have a podcast library. i have no idea how to make a podcast library without installing zune. tried manually creating a "Podcast" Liubrary but the app still says i have no podcast library.. any suggestions?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually in WP8, and W8 it's pretty easy to get your audio books (mp3 format) on to the phone's podcast section so it will remember last position. It should work in Windows 7, but I haven't tried it.

Requirements: WP8, Windows 8, Latest Windows Phone App for desktop.

1. Create a library on Windows 8 called Podcasts. (Bing search on how to make a new library, just make sure it points to a folder outside your music library)

2. Put your audio books in folders inside the Podcasts library, meaning each book should be in it's own folder with all the MP3 files in side. Make sure the MP3 files are named sequentially (i.e. "Mostly Harmless - Chapter 1.mp3" "Mostly Harmless - Chapter 2.mp3", etc). You can make a folder of an author and then make sub-folders of each book if you want.

Example:
My Podcasts
├───Douglas Adams
│ ├───(Part 1) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
│ ├───(Part 2) The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
│ ├───(Part 3) Life The Universe And Everything
│ ├───(Part 4) So Long, And Thaks For All The Fish
│ └───(Part 5) Mostly Harmless
└───J.K. Rowling
├───Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
├───Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
├───Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
├───Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
├───Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
├───Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
└───Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Run Windows Phone App for Desktop, select the "Podcasts" tab, and then select which (or all) Podcasts (really now auidobooks) you want on your phone.

4. Sync.

Now on your phone you can go into the Podcasts section of Music+Video app and see your "books" along with any real podcasts, and play them as you like. When you stop, and then go back, it should start right where you left off.

I really wish MS had documented this, somewhere.

EDIT:
The Podcasts function of Xbox Music in WP8 relies on the "File Creation Date" for ordering of files.

So what henkew said about BulkFileChanger is actually a VERY important step. You need to increment the 'File Creation Date" in order to get the files to listed in order. You can use any increment (seconds, minutes, hours, days) you prefer, just that they need to be incremented.

Just changing the file name, Title, Track # will not get the files in proper order.

Last edited:

ejsegraves

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So i still use Itunes for my main media hub on my laptop. I recently bought an audiobook from the itunes store. Any way I can get the m4b (?) file onto my new windows phone?

philsound71

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
thanks so much for this Guzzler3! i was getting frustrated at all the work-arounds (and wasting money on quirky apps ...), so this straight-forward method works perfectly. I just followed the directions - literally took me 5 minutes to set up and verify that the playback works - WITH saving your place in the file. I owe you one, buddy :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss