Auto Download Games for Gold

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I read an article a while back on Games for Gold, either here or another site, and it basically was a walk through on setting up automatic downloading the free Games for Gold games when they come out each month. I think there was a setting you had to set on your actual account online but now I can't seem to find the article or the setting. Wondering if anyone else knew how to do this? I could be mistaken and those games just download anyway, but I wanted to make sure since a friend of mine does not have this happen to his xbox.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that you are mistaken. Your XBOX One cannot automatically download games you don't 'have.'

What you can do is set the XBOX One up to automatically update your games, but it won't just download them to your console if you don't have them yet...

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Well this month's Games with Gold games automatically downloaded to my machine without me going to the store. I purposefully did not install them prior when they were announced to test it out. Child of Light and the pool game showed up in my library.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You sure you didn't 'buy' those games through another medium - like the website or your phone with smartglass..? You still have to 'buy' the Games with Gold games even though they are free... That's the only explanation that I can find since the XBOX doesn't just 'download games' for you at all. If it did - I'd imagine there'd be a lot more people who would be 'upset' for getting games they don't want/need that are taking space away from the games they do want...

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I had previously purchased CoL and having completed it removed it from my HDD. But when I came back from holiday at the weekend it had reinstalled.... Dunno about the pool game as I downloaded that through SmartGlass while away...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Well - you already answered your own question then.

If you have your XBOX One set up to always be on and such - if you buy a game on smartglass it'll start downloading that game immediately.

You 'purchased' the games through smartglass - and then it downloaded on your XBOX One.

But, it didn't just 'give' you the games without you first initiating it.

Vechten

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I have this same problem. I have never bought any of these games. They keep downloading on my xbox one on thier own. Just checked my games and had the one for may...caslte storm or something. never downloaded it. Started with child of light and pool fx and has continued. I would like to turn it off because i dont want to necessarily have all of the games they give away. I know i can delete them but i shouldnt have to.

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Nope, even with the free games, you still have to 'purchase' them in order for them to download to your console.
Microsoft would not allow this process to be automatic, even with the free games, just in case it could be exploited.

Foxate

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, never knew some people experienced auto-download. But it does sound like a feature they should make optional for those who prefer the convenience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb