Back on the Android Wagon...for a little while exclusively :-(

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Full disclaimer - I'm still a Windows Phone nut. My wife will get to use my 1020, my in laws will get a 925 and a 920, and my mom is going to get a 520 (if she actually starts using the phone I may give her an upgrade)....

But for me, I've made the temporary jump back to Android. The driver is that I work in the tech/innovation ecosystem, and many of my clients and prospects are on the software/mobile side, and sadly almost always develop exclusively Android or iOS apps. Ever since the 920 launched I've proudly been waving my Windows Phone, but in an effort to stay closer to my clients and what they are doing I've gone over to the dark side. Originally I was going to jump back and forth between Android and my 1020, but once AT&T came out w/ the new data plans we decided to get the whole family on smart phones, so all of the ones we own are spoken for (plus I had to pick up that 520).

The only redeeming quality I've found going back to Android is the niche app availability. Case in point - my company had an offsite a few weeks ago and used the Bonfyre app to share photos and participate in challenges. I "won" one of those challenges and got a $250 gift card. Had I not had an iOS or Android phone it obviously wouldn't of happened. Being a gadget geek some of the products I buy only have iOS and Android support.

FWIW the device I bought was the Sony Xperia Z1s. So far very happy w/ it. Great camera, waterproof, and feels great in the hand. Purchased an unlock code online and can use it w/ AT&T's LTE network just fine.

Final words - I'm sure I'll be back. I definitely prefer the WP interface over Android. I find myself spending far too much time tinkering w/ the screen & settings than I should. We'll see what the next 6-12 months brings for new devices...I just need a good excuse to buy a new one so I can go back to my original thought of sim-swapping and using both platforms on an as-desired basis.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't feel the need to explain stuff like this. There's so many awesome phones on different operating systems out there now that if you chain yourself with brand loyalty the only person losing out is you....HAVE FUN! The new Sony handsets are absolute beasts ;-)

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So here I am about 45 days later. The Xperia Z1s is doing a pretty solid job. Great battery life (something I never experienced on Android) and not too many reboots. I like having access to the niche apps that I missed in WP, but have found that those are generally just used at home where I have tablets laying around. The camera has been underwhelming, but I *think* that has to do w/ the chrome ring around the lens causing some washed-out effect when the flash fires. I'm going to try to sharpie that out like some others have to see if it fixes the issue.

The net/net of the situation is that I miss WP and will see what's coming out in the near future. Android isn't as bad as it used to be (IMO), but I no longer need or want the customization/roms/millions of games. I just want a solid smart phone w/ the core apps I use when away from home and a great camera. For me WP fits that bill the best.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
ive had the nokia lumia 920 since launch and due to quality issues (I went through 6 of them) at&T gave me the LG G2. ive been using it for about 6 weeks and everyone is amazing about this phone except for the camera. during the day in bright light is amazing but in a room side by side my 920 the 920 kills it in dim not even low light. my 920 at 200 iso is equal to the lgg2 at 800. BUT the battery life on the G2 is simply outstanding and from the notification center , back button and quick launch settings android is growing on me. the one really negative thing i have with android is how resource hungry some apps are. also doing anything on the nokia wp8 is much easier . i wish nokia would have given was a true upgrade over the 920.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a 1520...really missed Windows Phone. Need to figure out whether I'll keep the Z1s (probably) or sell...

Sent from my C6916 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a 1520...really missed Windows Phone. Need to figure out whether I'll keep the Z1s (probably) or sell...

Sent from my C6916 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Ahhh...
Just hang onto the Z1.
Sony's are worthy devices.
Doesn't hurt to have a device collection.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Will do that for a while. Too bad the Sims are different so I can't simply swap back and forth...

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If you get a good SIM adapter you can. I did it when I had an iPhone 5.

Why didn't I think of that!?!?! Great suggestion & thanks. One thing the Z1s will do much better than the 1520 is manage the pool scene in my upcoming Vegas trip...waterproof/underwater abilities FTW!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I too have jumped back into an Android device. I know it's a temporary insanity that has overcome my senses and I'm sure the remedy will come in the form of 8.1. However, the multi-tasking and swipe-to-close is so webOS-esque that it may prove difficult unless 8.1 really brings its "A" game. My favorite feature is the BT PAN connectivity that allows me to tether without having to touch my device. Reminiscent of the DUN days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124