Background tasks

Michael Hall3

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Today I updated my phone (again) to Amber and since then, the apps that I had before are suddenly unblockable. I could block them before in the background tasks menu but after this update, I can't. What can I do? It's Facebook, Whatsapp, App Highlights, Games ( Hill Climb Racing, Minion Rush), Weather. All of them use internet, it will be a crime to open it.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
You should be able to disable the background tasks and such in each apps settings effectively stopping them as well. In fact that's a better way even if the option to block them in the background settings exists. Think of it as 2 layers of protection. Not sure why some apps don't allow you to change them via the background settings list, I assume it's how that dev chose to code it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you looking at the list that you get when you tap the Advanced button at the bottom of background tasks? On that list, nothing can be blocked. I do not know what causes an app to be added to that list - even my own app, PlusPoints, is on that list, and while I can block the task on the other list, I cannot block it there, and there is nothing that it can do in the background if blocked.

Unless you've actually started the apps in question, they will not show up on the list that is blockable. Background agents are registered when the app is run, not when it is installed, AFAIK (I think I've tested that before, but it's been a while).

Does this help?

And welcome to WPCentral!

Michael Hall3

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that before the update I could've blocked those apps. And I see many people being able to block Facebook, Whatsapp on Amber. Why can't I?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to disable the background tasks and such in each apps settings effectively stopping them as well. In fact that's a better way even if the option to block them in the background settings exists. Think of it as 2 layers of protection. Not sure why some apps don't allow you to change them via the background settings list, I assume it's how that dev chose to code it.

Developers cannot code an app to prevent you from blocking the background agents. This is not possible. In fact the development guidelines say that you should develop the app in a way that background agents add to the experience, but are not required, since there is no guarantee that a background agent will ever run.

Michael Hall3

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. One last question. I don't know if I should reinstall Skype since it's one of those which can't be stopped and if someone calls you on Skype, even tho the app it's not started, the phone starts it and rings. Does it use the internet a lot or your status being on a cloud server doesn't consume that much?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't say for sure. I don't use Skype much. I have it installed... But to give you an idea, my DataSense reset on 12/24, and since then it has used 3MB. I have made no skype calls, but have chatted a little bit. And I mean a little. Like maybe 30 minutes total. Don't know if that helps you, but I hope so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb