Bad news Lumia 810 AND 822 owners: Nokia confirmed No Lumia Black.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes all WP8 devices are upgradable to 8.1 but they don't stipulate that it's at the carrier discretion unless you participate in the developers preview.
What happen to that Microsoft Enthusiasts OS upgrade program. Not sure if it ever materialized or had a formal name.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
No crap the 810 isn't getting the update. For the time being it's the only Lumia device that's confirmed to be not getting Black. If Nokia was trying to get black on the 810 they'd have at least listed it as "pending" not as "unavailable." We've had a thread in the 810 forums that's been floating around. We didn't need reddit to tell us something that obvious. Do I sound bitter? Just a bit. TMO has been dodging all our questions since GDR1, and the rest has been pretty much a bonus.

Since 8.1 is an MS update, I'm hoping that they'll force it through regardless of the carriers when the time comes.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Buying any product on the hopes of future updates is not conducive to a happy experience. If the device does not suit you on Day 1, you should really consider your options.

EXCEPT that after the WP7 getting left behind after 2 years thing (which was right after the Windows Mobile being left behind thing), MS promised EVERY WP8 device would get updates and supports bar none. 36 months worth to be exact. Heck we have a full thread dedicated to the releases:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ive]-will-my-wp-phone-get-updated-thread.html

Promises. So T-Mobile users (who have more incentive then the average user to stay on one device for as long as they can due to no contracts or subsidies) and Verizon users become early adopters, hear all these great things about YEARS of support and upgrades, and are overjoyed. Hail to WP!!!

Until they start to hear:

Nah, not the L810.

Sorry, not the L822.

So what about the Icon users? What about carrier specific devices like the L1020 or the L928? Will they be next in the "We meant everyone BUT you guys" department? This was going to be one of those areas MS and WP OEMs were going to stand out and use to slice away at Androids lead.

I do not care if it is more the carriers fault then MS or Nokia. In the end, it is WP users getting left out, and those are a small group. MS needs repeat users to grow. This only hurts.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
EXCEPT that after the WP7 getting left behind after 2 years thing (which was right after the Windows Mobile being left behind thing), MS promised EVERY WP8 device would get updates and supports bar none. 36 months worth to be exact. Heck we have a full thread dedicated to the releases:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ive]-will-my-wp-phone-get-updated-thread.html

Promises. So T-Mobile users (who have more incentive then the average user to stay on one device for as long as they can due to no contracts or subsidies) and Verizon users become early adopters, hear all these great things about YEARS of support and upgrades, and are overjoyed. Hail to WP!!!

Until they start to hear:

Nah, not the L810.

Sorry, not the L822.

So what about the Icon users? What about carrier specific devices like the L1020 or the L928? Will they be next in the "We meant everyone BUT you guys" department? This was going to be one of those areas MS and WP OEMs were going to stand out and use to slice away at Androids lead.

I do not care if it is more the carriers fault then MS or Nokia. In the end, it is WP users getting left out, and those are a small group. MS needs repeat users to grow. This only hurts.

If the updates are out, that means MS held up its end of the bargain. I've said it before many times, call out the wretched carriers! Microsoft is too dependent on them to push their product so they're not going to rock the boat. But in the end, it's the WP brand that's getting it up the Hershey Highway and instead of writing nasty letters to Microsoft, we should be crashing AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile's servers with emails. I'm a pragmatist by nature and I realize that consumers will take the path of least resistance by jumping ship to iOS or Android. Not because they're better but because it's easier. The carriers will gladly upgrade you and lock you in to a spanking new 2-year contract.

What WP8 really needs is for some of these bright developers/hackers to unlock the bootloaders and create a new platform for custom ROMs. Updates will be a thing of the past and maybe some creativeness will present a truly viable option to the Evil Empires.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hate to have to post this, but if it's true, I wanna get it out there:

Bad news Lumia 810 AND 822 owners: Nokia confirmed No Lumia Black.! : windowsphone

According to this Reddit user, he spoke with a Nokia Customer Support rep who says Verizon will NOT be releasing Lumia Black to the 822.
Same goes for T-Mobile and their equivalent of that model phone. The 810, I guess.

If true, this SUCKS. Also, if that line about Verizon not wanting Nokia to change the update status page to "Not Available" to avoid backlash is true, that's a very **** move.

If this turns out to be accurate, I'm hoping to high heaven they won't pull the same thing once Windows Phone 8.1 comes out.

So if I go create a reddit account and say I talked to Elop and he said the 822 is getting the update, would that make you feel better? What makes anyone think that pizzaboy192, whose ID shows a Lumia 521, has an inside track to a CEO? Seriously, this is not something to take with a grain of salt, it should be tossed into the recycle bin. I would say just the garbage, but people will just pull this out along with every other nonsensical rumor and recycle in a few days/weeks anyway. They will just slap another model number and possibly different manufacturer and CEO and post someplace else.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, nothing but FUD here. Nothing to see. Let's move along now.

it is a ligament worry that can't be dismissed. We do know that carriers tend to drop phones because they can. There is no guarantee that 822 or 810 for that matter will get it. Msft/nokia did their part to provide the update but the carrier can stop it. So its not fud in my eyes

ItsMcDiddles

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
it is a ligament worry that can't be dismissed. We do know that carriers tend to drop phones because they can. There is no guarantee that 822 or 810 for that matter will get it. Msft/nokia did their part to provide the update but the carrier can stop it. So its not fud in my eyes

If the 822 won't get it then why is it still waiting for approval and not available like the 810. It IS fud.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Assume it is coming unless Verizon/Nokia say otherwise in some official form.

or we can assume its not ...if we look at the update page some phones didn't get amber but maybe are getting black. That is why I stated we don't know for sure if we are getting it. Its a concern that can't be called fud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077