Band keeps shutting down

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Band has started shutting down randomly. It won't stay on for more than about a minute and then it shuts off. I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to power it back on. I can scroll through the tiles and it'll get some notifications before it shuts off again. It was working perfectly until this morning. It hasn't gotten wet or been dropped. Been on my wrist the entire week, minus charging time.

It was at a full charge yesterday morning when I pulled it from the charger. Battery graphic on band is well over half this morning, so I don't think it's a charge issue.

Curious if anyone has had problems, or read about problems, with the Band shutting down randomly and if a reset resolves. Any other suggestions to resolve?

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Took to resets to cure. My best guess is a battery glitch. FWIW, my battery status showed 100% (Which was correct since i had just finished recharging the band for several hours.) when the problem occured.

papa tiger

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Corrosion on mine after 5 days and it started not charging properly thus the shut downs clean the terminals on the back of the watch so the charger works and down load the band sync app to your puter so the USB will work with it and sync/charge also turn on the puter Bluetooth and pair them.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 43

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I called MS on Friday. They confirmed a battery issue and said I needed a replacement. I got a new one today at my "local" MS store--two hours away. Band Support would no longer do an advanced mail exchange. I don't know if they have completely dropped that option or if two was the limit. This was my third exchange. I'm on my 4th Band. I also wouldn't get a new device if replaced by mail, so I chose to drive to a store to swap.

Interestingly, the guy at the store asked me how long I had had my Band. I told him this one lasted a little over two months and the others were about three. He said the average seems to be about three months for those he has informally polled.

I'm hoping this Band lasts me until Band 2. If this one breaks and Band 2 doesn't show, I think I'm done. I love the features, but I'm tired of having to baby it and swap it out. A fitness device should be durable.

wolfee48

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
My band kept shutting down immediately after taking off the charger and then every couple hours shutting off on it's own. Went to my local MS store and they replaced it with no questions asked.

Not sure what caused it, but I am going to charge only via computer USB ports. Not sure if wall outlets or vehicle chargers kill the battery.

MysticVenom

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine lasts about that long between replacements and yea, I'm hoping this one lasts until Band 2. To be fair, I never expected these to be super durable as they have the appearance of just-out-of-prototype for developers to play with (which is kind of what they hinted at in the beginning). Kinda like the google glass that everyone had to have even though it was meant for developers. Now, I fully expect the Band 2 to be a much higher quality device at consumer grade build levels and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Going in today to get my 3rd Band. It seems like they work fine for a couple of months, then the random powering off occurs. I use the same charging block that came with my Lumia phone so I don't think that I am damaging it with a charger.

Really frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a solution and the staff t the MS Store always wants to reproduce the problem and try everything I've already done. It will probably mean at least an hour and a half of waiting for them to see it happen and realize that no amount of resets will fix it.

Photojnic

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
My Band powering down randomly after owning it for nearly 3 months is perplexing.

Thinking that the device overheated, I placed it in front of the A/C blasting in my car. After feeling cold, I turned on the Band, synced and the Band stayed on, no shut downs, for at least 3 hours.

Not a good permanent solution since I don't always have access to my car's A/C, but wondered, why does making the Band cold keep it from shutting down?

Microsoft??

tlaub

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought my band in June, it worked great for 2 and 1/2 months. One day it just went out and would not charge or work any longer. I opened a problem with Microsoft and they ask me to send it back. I sent it back and received it back today, 10 days later. The bottom line MICROSOFT WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY DUE TO EXCESSIVE DAMAGE TO THE BAND OR IT HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO WATER OR TORN OR MISSING PARTS. None of these were true, if you look at the band I defy you to see any excessive damage. The band was NEVER in water and never put through anything more than a round of golf. If this device is that sensitive, why is called a activity band? I am tired of this stuff from Microsoft, produce a product and then blame the issues on the users. I am going to go back to my credit card company and dispute this purchase. I just lost $200.................thanks Microsoft. DO NOT BUY THIS BAND.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster