Battery Life after GDR2/Amber

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought I noticed the battery getting worse yesterday, but I figured since I just had the update installed it might just be that I was playing around with it way more than usual. To test I charged it fully before I went to bed and let it discharge without touching it overnight. The result: between 11 PM and 6 AM nearly 40% of battery gone. Not cool. I've set it to flight mode, rebooted and set flight mode off again. Fully charged it before work, will be monitoring it again today.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Things that help:

• Try a soft and a hard reset.
  • Make sure your WiFi/Bluetooth/Sync/tiles/etc settings haven't changed.
  • Recalibrate the battery by charging the phone to 100%, then discharging it to 0%.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hard reset isn't really an option I consider unless it's really, really getting out of hand. As for discharging the battery to 0%, that also seems like a bad idea because if you do that too often you'll just ruin the battery

Settings haven't changed other than that I've added double tap to wake and Peek option for Glance. It seems okay now after the flight mode trick, if it happens again I'll do a soft reset.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
As for discharging the battery to 0%, that also seems like a bad idea because if you do that too often you'll just ruin the battery.

Don't do it often. It would only damage the battery if people did it every week. The thing is, recalibration only works if the drain-to-zero happens after a charge-to-hundred!

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
it's at 93% now after 6 hours 29 minutes, so I guess the flight mode did the trick ;)

Is that the same as "airplane mode"? If it is, I'm not surprised by your results. This feature turns off the radios on the device. You might not get any calls.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ya it's airplane mode. Like I said, I switched that mode on, rebooted the phone, then turned airplane mode off again. So it's not on airplane mode right now, I receive texts, calls and emails.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed GDR2/Amber yesterday afternoon. Then fully charged my phone. Removed from charger yesterday around 6pm. I intentionally left it OFF the charger over night. I woke up and it was at 98% charged!! It's now 10:45am, and it's at 89%! I've got wifi and 4G enabled. Two email accounts set to push. I've never had battery life like this with any phone I've had. So far so good!

Oh, and I also have Glance enabled all the time, which I love! I did disable the double tap feature because it didn't seem very responsive. Maybe because my phone is in an Otterbox.

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I too experienced a sharp drop in battery life after the update and a full charge. 100% at 12:00 AM last night to 22% at 7:00 AM this morning.
I turned off my phone this morning and rebooted it and connected it to a charger. Its 100% now. Will try the Air Plane Mode followed by reboot method now to see if it helps any.
I just have a few apps enabled for background tasks, LTE and wifi enabled as well.

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
my battery is working great and i have glance on as well as double tap to wake

as soon as my update was complete (and the phone restarted), i did a soft reset - mainly because my phone was lagging after the update
i have 84% battery left and have been using it for 5 hours, playing music for at least two hours (FM radio)

benny142

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Go to extras+info in settings. Then, tap on Lumia Amber. It will point to nokia's site.. listing the main features of amber update.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I updated yesterday afternoon and I haven't seen any appreciable change in battery life either way. I'm using Glance in peek mode but that's probably about the only difference. I'm happy with the update so far, no complaints.

cwgrizz

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
After the update, I got worried because battery seemed to be draining like an SUV with a leaking gas tank. Shut the phone off and restarted it. At about 45% it seemed to stop the downward spiral. Charged overnight and this morning all seemed to be good. In fact throughout the day it has been as good or better than before the upgrade. In fact it is still at 70% (17 hours later). I'm not a big phone user like some, but that is really pretty good. The only changes I made is to enable Glance on temporary setting. So far very pleased.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
After the update battery is way better than before even with Glance on, Bluetooth so far so good I find the amber update great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)