Battery life with WP 8.1

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so .after making 3 to 4 calls suddenly my phone started crying ..
battery goes dying ... please suggest me some thing to solve my problem :unhappysweat:

for how long, if I may ask?
if you spent 5 hours accumulatively on the phone, then it's expected to drain your battery quickly

Craniotomia

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
hi
i have a lumia 925 with wp 8.1 PfD with the latest updates, one and half week the accu lifetime was mor than 2 days
at now my discharge speed 5.72% / hour during the night ( just wifi on, and 2G, the others is off) and accu time is now 17 hour, hardly use my phone
what can i do?? first picture in hungarian: by 16% lived 2 days, 9 hour, and reamining 6 hour

wp_ss_20140616_0001.jpg wp_ss_20140708_0002[1].png

sudhisoma

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Probably switching back to my iPhone

Sorry if im slightly off topic! My phone used to heat and the battery used to drain,but nowadays the problem has gotten even worse! And the battery is just draining like crazy and even the phone is getting very hot! What do u think may be the problem? Is it because im on a dev preview and will it get rectified once I get the cyan update? Or what is the issue? Any help would be appreciated! :)
I do not want to do a hard reset,so anything apart from that would be very helpful :) Here is a screenshot attached! I use a NL920 btw!
Sent from my RM-821_im_india_443 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140708_0006.png
    wp_ss_20140708_0006.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 33

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Probably switching back to my iPhone

If you guys haven't tried the hard reset due to the music and photos, check your Onedrive and see if your photos are there. Musicwise... well, you can always transfer the music to your phone again.

While I have a decent battery life without the hard reset, I strongly recommend it. Back up your phone (photos, apps, music) and go for it. Something is awry in your phones and a hard reset might fix it. Quoting the guys of the IT Crowd show "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Remember this: quick discharge cycles and high temperatures are not good for the battery in the long run.

Edit
@Sudhisoma, post the usage graph according to the MS Battery application. Maybe that can shed some light on the reason why your phone is eating the battery. (Still, probably a hard reset is the way to go. Apps will be reinstalled and any thing that got hanging, draining your battery misteriously will be killed right away)

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys maim reason for battery drain is your mail is set to instant...set it to every 30 mins or more and see the diff in battery life

sent from Lumia 1020 or Note 3 dual sim

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 Rogers battery has been gradually getting worse over the last two weeks. Went from 30 hours on single charge to now charging twice a day, i dont do many things on the phone but when i use it the battery drains like MAD. The only time i use it for more than 5 minutes straight is on commute home from work for an hour with MixRadio, thats it. Sort of disappointed here, although the random drain is gone the in-use drain has gotten much worse.

Update: Keeps getting worse, mainly when I use mixradio which sucks because I love the app. 100-72 in 3 hrs used, mixradio used for 25 mins.

Last edited:

bipin_km86

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Problem with battery in l520..... Battery draining very fast,almost in no time......also heating issues while using..... This is after update it to 8.1 version...

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Posted above about upgrading to 8.1 and same battery experiences as 8. I've now done a hard reset and I can say that my battery performance is vastly improved. My most normal standby percent per hour - BTW, that's the only good way to compare apples to apples, not your subjective experience - remains at 2.7-3.0%/hr. I still get the frequent .7%/hr, usually after unplugging the charger and w/o using the phone at all.

So far, I haven't gotten the 10%-30% (!!!!) per hour drains.

The first 8.1 upgrade in early June allegedly fixed battery issues. Make sure you are fully updated and hard reset, then see what happens.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I had no problems with battery life on 8.1 until the last update. It started to get worse after that and in the last few days the problem accelerated dramatically. My battery has drained 21% in the last hour, and battery saver says "phone" is the heavy usage but I have not made a single call.

Hopefully the Cyan update (if it ever comes to Verizon) will rectify the problem, but the Icon's battery was undersized to begin with and its frustrating to have to lug a battery stick everywhere just so I can recharge halfway through the day.

The fact that others are seeing "phone" as the culprit also gives me hope that something will be corrected. I sure wish that Microsoft would distribute Cyan through the preview for developers platform, at least for the Icon, which is virtually identical to the 930 that is shipping with Cyan.

Do you think we will see any other updates, or is it all about Cyan at this point?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If I do a factory reset on my lumia 620 8.1 update. will I lose the 8.1 back to 8.0 or 8.1 will stay fully reset? Thank you.

8.1 is now imbedded in your phone. A hard reset back to factory does not lose it. It will however give you a out of the box brand new device, completely fresh as the day you first turned it on. Also it would be better to opt out of the app reinstall option at least until your happy with your battery results. Then be wary of battery sucking apps as you reinstall so if need be you can spot which ones and deal with them.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Finding the culprit in case of battery drain is always tricky, but I'm beginning to suspect that pausing / exiting Podcast lounge leaves my 1520 in some kind of loop that drains the battery. That's basically the only app I use in the morning, and taking it off bluetooth and closing it gives me a case of the hot pockets. Anyone else?

Edit: it's either that or Cortana giving me the hots.

Last edited:

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Finding the culprit in case of battery drain is always tricky, but I'm beginning to suspect that pausing / exiting Podcast lounge leaves my 1520 in some kind of loop that drains the battery. That's basically the only app I use in the morning, and taking it off bluetooth and closing it gives me a case of the hot pockets. Anyone else?

Edit: it's either that or Cortana giving me the hots.

Unless battery saver app is lying then Facebook Beta is the culprit for me...
(hopefully last nights update fixed that though!)
I've barely used it the last few days knowing that I've wanted to preserve the battery and we had the hint in a forum not to close the app but to hit windows button.

Podcast lounge seems good to me to be honest. I party a downloaded podcast for 20 mins on a drive on Bluetooth and got to work then got Facebook while PC was loading... Drain starts.

Also email is second, and I've got that too sync every 30 mins.
Phone is third but that was only because I made lots of calls yesterday... Lets ignore that.

Internet explorer was showing as an issue so I've blocked that

Sorry to say but WPCentral was guilty... :S just the live tile? Tuned it off and blocked it anyway..

Cortana is low use according to battery saver BUT when I switch region to UK without her I get better battery...
Try turning Cortana off for a day (rather than switching region)

NextgenReader seems to be a drain and phonly. Scared of using either app as you won't have a phone by the end of the day

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
4% down from using this WPCentral app on the forum for 10 minutes.... Signal strength H strong.
Turned off in background just a normal app.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Podcast lounge seems good to me to be honest. I party a downloaded podcast for 20 mins on a drive on Bluetooth and got to work then got Facebook while PC was loading... Drain starts.

For me it's not Podcast Lounge while I'm using it, but after I stop using it the phone goes into pocket heater mode. Which is why I wondered if quitting an audio streaming app or leaving my car's bluetooth could cause some kind of hang. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now it seems like a bug or process that doesn't show in Battery Saver is responsible.

lmoritz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having battery drain after latest round if Bing/calendar update...my battery used to last 2days n1020 now only lasting 4hrs
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Since those updates things have got real bad (they weren't great to begin with using WP81., but are now worse). There must be a problem, because my Weather and Finance apps won't update the live tiles anymore as well.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Cortana is definitely causing a huge battery drain on my Nokia Lumia 920.

After I updated to Windows Phone 8.1, I was losing ~10% charge every hour. Battery saver shows Cortana barely using any battery, but after I turn off Cortana, the issue disappeared.

My battery life in Windows Phone 8.1 with Cortana turned off is about same as it was when I was using Windows Phone 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arthur Dent