Battery life with WP 8.1

itzdrk

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
My battery drains while on charge, takes sometimes 12 hours+ to get full charge and doesnt really last , any ideas?

problems started after the last update, was fine before

10565674_668582849899767_1285047390_n.jpg
Windows Phone 8X by HTC

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You must hard reset so your battery life can go back to normal. Also check your email settings. Some accounts might be set on based on usage.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You must hard reset so your battery life can go back to normal. Also check your email settings. Some accounts might be set on based on usage.

Ya i did tthat when I initially updated to 8.1 DP. Problem is my backup isn't working and I really don't feel like restarting from scratch with the official releases coming out now. Its gotta worse since the last update.

Baiar Ali

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I am curious to know what are the impacts of WP 8.1 on the battery life of lumia 520? As I currently have already some problems with its battery life, I am wondering if the 8.1 makes it even worse or if the effect is only marginal.

Thanks in advance!

Dp wp8.1 is a step forward on battery life..at least on my 520.
Even wifi..has better range..in areas where i didnt have even connection.. Now i have decent download speed!
I've disabled mostly all background apps.. Only left open battery saver, calendar,wpcentral, WhatsApp and Facebook..24 hours and still 36%! On wp8 i hardly get 1day of normal use

colto92

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am also one of the ones who has installed WP 8.1 DP on my Lumia 920. Lately it seems like my phone has evened out battery life wise and I am able to make it two days on the battery. I have noticed that for some reason out of nowhere the phone will heat up and that my battery is draining. Sometimes this occurs after using an app like twitter, or sometimes I just happen to notice the heat in my pocket and haven't used the phone. My battery will drop about 1-2% a minute. I'm assuming some sort of process is not acting correct as a soft reset seems to fix this issue. Hopefully the official release will fix this problem.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I Wish my new L920 lasted the whole day, it is worse on battery than my L520 (yeah there are features this has the other didn't, but seems to be draining fast)...seems when it gets below 70%, it falls like a rock, not even being used, it will fall fast...reboot the phone, its down 10%, do a soft reset, goes back up 10% more...I am running 8.1 DP on it (was running that on the 520 and was fine)...nothing is set to run in background except cortana and battery saver, just essential apps on the phone...is it a bug? DP8.1 or a defective phone? (still in 30 day period I can send back to tigerdirect if so)

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the 8.1 DP on a ATT 1520 so I downgraded and installed 8.1 + Cyan 3 days ago. I do not use Cortina and with light use my battery drain is 'a lot better' So far. The last two evenings the level after 16 hours was only down to 92%. So last night I did not charge it and after 40 hours it is at 72%..

I will keep watching but so far it is better than the DP.

lumianut

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the 8.1 DP on a ATT 1520 so I downgraded and installed 8.1 + Cyan 3 days ago. I do not use Cortina and with light use my battery drain is 'a lot better' So far. The last two evenings the level after 16 hours was only down to 92%. So last night I did not charge it and after 40 hours it is at 72%..

I will keep watching but so far it is better than the DP.

How is the daylight photo quality for you after getting cyan?

lmoritz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
MY PHONE IS BACK!!!!

Ever since installing WP 8.1 Preview several months back my Lumia 920 battery has been awful. The phone has overheated, and under best case scenarios I might be able to get 5-6 hours.

Something magical happened this week, on Wednesday. I checked my phone mid-day and the battery was at 72%! And, there had been no over-heating. Yesterday I used it over 10 hours, at times quite heavily, before it kicked into battery saver mode. For me, especially considering the last few months, that is just plain amazing.

I didn't change any settings. I use Cortana a lot, etc. The only thing that changed this week were a few (seemingly insignificant) app updates, plus a couple of Nokia system app updates. I'm not sure what it was, but I am speculating it might be the latter.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
After GDR1 'update' to my L620 CV UK, Dev Prev 8.1 Black yesterday my battery life has plummeted, almost everything is off in background and all other settings are as they were before GDR1. If Microsoft ever fix the Cyan 'bitlocker' upgrade defect and release this for 8.1 Dev Prev users I can only hope it - Cyan - will fix the battery issue. By the way, can't go back to 8.0 as don't have access to Windows 7+ PC for the Nokia tool.
Updates: After latest update to 8.10.14157.200 my L620 battery discharged itself overnight 23/8/14 for no apparent reason. Phone when from around 80% charge to 0 and switched itself off. Now having just recently installed a new BL-5J first thoughts were this was probably a knock off cheap Chinese fake Nokia copy even though I purchased from a reputable supplier. Anyway stuck it back on charge and left for a few hours. Battery did full recharge to 100% and then, for some magic reason I don't understand, held full charge for over 12 hours and overnight only dropped to 96%! Since the complete discharge the battery does seem to be holding charge much longer than before now. All settings are the same as before except I have turned Battery Saver back on (previously it was off as it seemed to drain battery faster with it on). I also had an update for my weather app - AccuWeather. So it seems something has 'fixed' the previously poor battery performance, was it some overnight adjustment from MSFT or latest update to 8.1.1? Just wish I knew what it was!
By the way the 1450 mAh Nokia BL-5J fits perfectly in the L620.

Last edited:

aNark3y

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 625 and with the Dev Preview my battery life was still good. However since I updated to and installed the most recent update for devs my battery life has been atrocious at best. After a complete charge my phone has been discharging rapidly without any use by me.

Update: I have disabled Cortana and did a complete charge. I am very happy to say that my battery life is now back to normal.

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My battery life under 8.1 Update is definitely worse than before. Not deal killer, but more instances of severe drain.

There was an 8.1 update (note small caps) in mid-June that solved a number of battery issues. I would suggest that MS is on this, and in the near future, will fix some of these issues. As they did two months ago. In the meantime, I can live with the difference.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone with Update 1 & cyan performed a hard reset? I did this but used a backup to restore and my battery life is rubbish, is it wise to reinstall everything from scratch?

Robot_Man

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi every one, I noticed this today, why is Skype using so much battery working in background? I'm not using Skype that much, I use Whatsapp so much more, but it seems it is Skype using all my battery.
wp_ss_20140821_0002.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markarmjamtions