Battery life with WP 8.1

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Try turning it ON and report back! That just doesn't jive with everyone else's experience with 8.1.

Get the same on 810 with 8.1 GDR1.
There is however a serious calibration issue with 'Insider' (free edition). When phone is at 100% it stays there for hours before it starts to drop off.
I don't trust the results completely but for a quick idea of the discharge... sure OK.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've experienced decent battery life... ranging from 36 hours with very little use (charged it saturday night and pluged it again monday afternoon) to 6 hours with heavy use (Whatsapp, internet, 9gag, youtube)
What I am experiencing now is a slow charge rate. About 20-25% per hour, that is annoying. This behaviour is standar, no matterr the charger, the cable or the AC outlet.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
No issue at all with 810 on PforD 8.1 Update. Often under 1%/hr, usually 2-3%, talking about standby. I figure anything under 5% is fine, that's 20 hours, far more than I need to live my day and then recharge.

Issues with 925 on same.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I have two Nokia Lumia 521 phones to compare Windows 8.0 and 8.1 DP.
8.1 definitely battery % drops faster than 8.0 BUT 8.1 is much more optimistic in how much time remains on the phone.
At 90% charge 8.0 indicates 21 hours remaining.
At 85% charge 8.1 indicates 1 day 7 hours remaining
Is this merely a function of the phones' usage history and the battery saver programs learning the usage pattern?

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have two Nokia Lumia 521 phones to compare Windows 8.0 and 8.1 DP.
8.1 definitely battery % drops faster than 8.0 BUT 8.1 is much more optimistic in how much time remains on the phone.
At 90% charge 8.0 indicates 21 hours remaining.
At 85% charge 8.1 indicates 1 day 7 hours remaining
Is this merely a function of the phones' usage history and the battery saver programs learning the usage pattern?

Good observations! It's my belief that there are SO many variables when it comes to battery usage, it's almost impossible to track cause and effect. This phone, that phone, this update, that update. For instance, I have no battery issues on my 810 running PforD 8.1.....except once in awhile it goes into major battery sucking mode. Rare, but it happens. My 925's definitely do not have the same battery life as my 810, whether running 8.0 or 8.1 PforD. Yet, generally, livable.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

For me, what was killing the batt and hogging the memory was Whatsapp. Once whatsapp got stuck, loads longer, or never loads at all either tapping on the tile or at the action center.. it would just dreadfully load the phone forever, and worse part was it halted other operations including touching the windows button to return to the home screen. This caused battery drainage at least 15~20% per hour.

Solution? Delete whatsapp > Restart > Reinstall whatsapp BUT DONT RUN IT > Restart again > Now run whatsapp and configure it as normal. Battery drain 8 hours overnight between 0-2%.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 1020, 1520 and 930. Yes, I'm a fan.

From my observations, the apps installed makes a difference. All my devices are on Cyan with the latest PfD updates. The 930 and 1020 are configured the same way being my personal phone. The 1520 has less a few apps and configured to the company Exchange mails.

From all devices, I've noticed improved battery life if I did not install FB Messenger and Whatsapp. I now use LINE and Telegram exclusively. Telegram can be used concurrently on all devices at the same time but LINE only allows a single login, too bad. Apps that are installed on all devices are

Health & Fitness
News
Weather
FB (non-beta)
Tapatalk
Viber
Nokia/Lumia suite
Files
PDF Reader

1520 lasts two and a half days
1020 lasts one and a half days
930 lasts one and a half days

All when used similarly. I rotate between 1020 and 930 on a weekly basis, depending on my mood. 1520 is dead on for work.

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
My battery life on my L720 has plunged drastically after the latest DP update and Lumia Cyan.

2 Hard Resets later and the phone is still discharging far too quickly.

Earlier, I could easily push 100% battery to last for around 2 days almost. Now, it barely gets through 1!

What could be wrong? :(

I've disabled almost every service too!

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
My battery life on my L720 has plunged drastically after the latest DP update and Lumia Cyan.

2 Hard Resets later and the phone is still discharging far too quickly.

Earlier, I could easily push 100% battery to last for around 2 days almost. Now, it barely gets through 1!

What could be wrong? :(

I've disabled almost every service too!

Me too. Never had to disable any stuff, now I have almost the whole app list disabled from running in background. Still ****ty battery life.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery life also plunged after the latest DP update. It was fine before this update. Lumia Icon no Cyan.
My wife's Icon didn't experience any battery changes with the update. Her phone battery is about the same as before de update.
I disabled Cortana and removed the tile from start scree as I did with the first DP version. I had one phone heat/drain after that yesterday afternoon, but the phone has been cool since then. Let's see what happen...

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys: You also mustn't forget that immediately after an OS update, and potentially up until a few days after, your battery life will suffer as things get reinstalled and the OS optimizes itself again.

So don't freak out and immediately start disabling everything right after an update: You battery life is going to be crummy no matter what.

If it bounces back: You're good to go. If not: /Then/ it's appropriate to look into other methods of mitigating battery drain, because at that point: It would very well seem the update has taken yet another toll on the battery.

But still, just made sure you wait at least 2-3 days before blaming a new OS version on crummy battery.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Average consumption has been 2.5 - 3% with peaks of 7 - 9% when doing something more intensive like taking pictures, file transfers, and playing music. Using HERE Drive for GPS nav really sucks the juice from the battery.
This is not a usage profile with the face stuck to the phone constantly.

Overall it's pretty decent but still only yields 25- 30 hrs of battery life which is a far cry from the old days when a week was more common.

alva christi

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
This will help in saving battery:
Battery Saver-Turn off the applications when they are not in use and consuming too much battery power.
Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Disable scanning for new Wi-Fi networks
Sync email less often
Managing the display

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Averaging 18-24hr on a Lumia 1020 running WP8.1.1 w/Lumia Cyan, nothing in particular being done to preserve battery.

Hard reset works wonders.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Had to do a hard reset. Backup tool didn't do a backup I can restore from.
Manually reloaded my apps.
Back to 8.1DP
Sitting at 6hours off charger and down to 59% batt left with another estimated 6.25hours available.
That's not bad for my 928. I definitely think a hard reset helped it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwadani