Battery life with WP 8.1

Charu Singh Dharm

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
battery life with WP 8.1L920

What's wrong with WP after 8.1update a key feature background tasks was removed. Now all these apps and XBOX is draining the battery ver very fast....if anyone having some solution please reply

Akshat Vyas

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried to update my 920 to 8.1 a few days ago, and either it's battery ran out or I tried to start it during the update. Anyways, since then, first it got stuck on a reboot loop and now it just shows Nokia and then low battery logo. I've tried to charge it for multiple days now and it still shows the low battery logo and restarts. Is there any way to solve this (especially without losing all my data?).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried to update my 920 to 8.1 a few days ago, and either it's battery ran out or I tried to start it during the update. Anyways, since then, first it got stuck on a reboot loop and now it just shows Nokia and then low battery logo. I've tried to charge it for multiple days now and it still shows the low battery logo and restarts. Is there any way to solve this (especially without losing all my data?).
In the Nokia recovery software there's an option to update a non-responsive phone. Hopefully that might help.

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/...covery/NokiaSoftwareRecoveryToolInstaller.exe

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Would that delete all my data? (pics, vids, apps etc.)

Unfortunately, yes. But unless you have a bad connection for the charger (My old Lumia 900's USB port has worn out, so now it only charges if you place it in a very particular way), then it's a software issue, and a hard reset and/or compete reinstall is your only option.

Akshat Vyas

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, yes. But unless you have a bad connection for the charger (My old Lumia 900's USB port has worn out, so now it only charges if you place it in a very particular way), then it's a software issue, and a hard reset and/or compete reinstall is your only option.

Hmm, thanks. I wanted to add that since last night, every half hour or so, while it's attached to my charger, it reaches the lock screen. But in a few seconds, while it shows that it's charging and the battery is at almost 0%, it restarts and starts showing the nokia text and low battery symbol again. I'm thinking of visiting the care centre in a day or two, hopefully can find a solution for this.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Battery life on the 820 is not great anyway, but after uninstalling FB messenger, the battery life improved significantly. I have also disabled Skype to run in background. Now I easily get through the day.

oljo01

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have real big problem with the battery life on my 920 after update to wp 8.1.

Well it started real good when i first got the dev update 8.1.
After a few days i got a small update and after that its real bad, i am constantly on on low battery. i can let the phone get charged all night, when i remove the cabel it says low battery?!?! and then it turns itself off, i start it again and i have half full battery, and its starts all over again.
I have downgraded to 8 then it worked "ok" and then i upgrade to the official 8.1 and i STILL have the problem!

It realy buggers me, but i dont think there is a fix for this.

I havent heard of anyone with this problem:(

iPLAY

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys

I solved the problem with the Battery drain. Try this way... it works for me!

1. Charge your Phone to 100% (with charger, not via the PC)
2. Download Nokia Recovery Tool and install it
3. After you run Nokia Recovery Tool you will become a message like: You can install software version 3051.50009.1424.0004 (in my case), check here for Lumia Cyan update availability for you region
4. Click "Install"
5. After the installation is complete, Install it again!
6. After completing the (second time) installation and when the phone displays a selection of Regional location, turn it off and make "Hard reset".
7. After Hard Reset set the phone manually (do not restore your backup)
8. Don't connect it to the charger (or PC) until the battery is at 5%
9. Restart u phone after set it up

My setup:
- Region: UK English (I don't need Cortana)
- WiFi: Turn on when needed
- Data Connection: Turn on when needed
- NFC: Turn on when needed
- Bluetooth: Turn on when needed
- 3G
- Glance: Off
- Background Theme: Black
- Background tasks - Allowed: Weather, Battery Saver, Calendar
- E-Mail Accounts: 2 (Outlook & GMail - Check: hourly)
- Brightness: Medium
- Double tap Wake-up: Off
- Auto Update Apps: Off

Last edited:

MJS9

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My L920 average discharge rate is 6.7% per hour on 8.1.1 and Cyan, up from 5.7% per hour on 8.1.1 and Black. I've noticed that the idle discharge is lower (better) than its ever been (even 8.0 Amber), in the low 1% bracket, so my background tasks aren't playing up. The battery discharges faster than it used to when using apps though.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys

I solved the problem with the Battery drain. Try this way... it works for me!

1. Charge your Phone to 100% (with charger, not via the PC)
2. Download Nokia Recovery Tool and install it
3. After you run Nokia Recovery Tool you will become a message like: You can install software version 3051.50009.1424.0004 (in my case), check here for Lumia Cyan update availability for you region
4. Click "Install"
5. After the installation is complete, Install it again!
6. After completing the (second time) installation and when the phone displays a selection of Regional location, turn it off and make "Hard reset".
7. After Hard Reset set the phone manually (do not restore your backup)
8. Don't connect it to the charger (or PC) until the battery is at 5%
9. Restart u phone after set it up

My setup:
- Region: UK English (I don't need Cortana)
- WiFi: Turn on when needed
- Data Connection: Turn on when needed
- NFC: Turn on when needed
- Bluetooth: Turn on when needed
- 3G
- Glance: Off
- Background Theme: Black
- Background tasks - Allowed: Weather, Battery Saver, Calendar
- E-Mail Accounts: 2 (Outlook & GMail - Check: hourly)
- Brightness: Medium
- Double tap Wake-up: Off
- Auto Update Apps: Off

So, you've basically turned your smartphone into a feature phone. :winktongue:

iPLAY

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
For some people it is more important that their battery lasts longer than hanging on the charger every 12h.

Believe me, you will not die if you do not immediately get a notification about facebook post, tweet, app update ... :wink:

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone lasts all day, usually with at least 30% battery left. I just make sure uneeded apps don't run in the background, and turn Wifi Sense off. No need to shut down everything that makes a smartphone a smartphone. Sounds like you may need a new battery.

By the way, it's been discovered that for some phone models, the Gmail syncing is a huge battery drain, no matter what interval you set it to. Delete that account for a day, and see if it makes a difference. If it does, just forward your Gmail to your Outlook email account from the Gmail website.

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Completely wiping and restoring the phone will always yield the best results. If you can afford to lose app data (Like game saves): I say go for it. You will be most pleased with the results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markarmjamtions