Battery life with WP 8.1

Oussi

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure of one thing while disabling location battery life and the heat goes to normal

this leads me to the conclusion that its either cortana (operation system usage of location so excessive like a navigation program)
or an app that is using the location so much and draining the battery

most likely it's cortan(related) because when I change my region to something other than usa battery drain is normal.
give it a try disable locations for few hours and report if it helped you as it did to me.

or it's cortana

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
L920 and I have never had serious battery problems (only when I'm in remote areas and constantly searching for a signal). Now with WP8.1 my battery lasts 5 hours with minimal use. Loving WP8.1 though - so it is a tradeoff I'm ok with for now. Upgraded my son's L925 though and I'm guessing he will be less then thrilled with the poor battery...

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I had off yesterday so I did a test. My L520 took almost 4 hours to charge from starting at 30% life and it was depleted without using it within 2 hours.None of my apps were installed, just put 8.1 on there and let it sit. I get this is a beta but c'mon.

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure of one thing while disabling location battery life and the heat goes to normal

this leads me to the conclusion that its either cortana (operation system usage of location so excessive like a navigation program)
or an app that is using the location so much and draining the battery

most likely it's cortan(related) because when I change my region to something other than usa battery drain is normal.
give it a try disable locations for few hours and report if it helped you as it did to me.

or it's cortana

It's cortana. I turned it off and my phone is back to normal. Just like Siri, I'm not going to use it, so it's not a loss.

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have an idea what is going on here. From what I have heard, the biggest thing that is taking away from the battery here is cortana. But why? I don't know if you guys noticed, but within the first day or two of using her, she asks you "is this your home?" and "is this where you work?". How did she know where you were? Fortuna CONSTANLTLY pings the GPS when you first set her up. I think Cortland is by far the biggest thing that is killing all of our batteries. So what is the solution? I think the best thing to do is to give it a few days. I think that when she finally gets the idea, she will calm down and stop pinging the GPS so much once she knows what your routine looks like. Let me know what you guys think of this.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I got a little degradation at the battery life of my HTC 8X but not that huge difference. I think it's because it's the first day of the update and you use your phone a lot for exploring the new OS. But still I think it doesn't improve battery life either so I am going to check everything that uses background tasks again to kill the unnecessary.

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You all need to set again the applications that run in background mode.

Uhhh no. It's cortana. I even spoke to a friend of a buddy of mine who works at MS this morning and he told me that the beta version of Cortana is constantly trying to learn phone habits and it's killing the battery. It's beta, so it's "allowed". Simply turn it off and phone is back. Maybe if you actually read this thread, most of us didn't have anything running in the background, and when we shut it off, back to normal. But that's too easy for a know it all I guess.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately for me my battery life has dramatically depreciated.

For me, according to battery saver, Internet Explorer is the culprit. Strange, its rarely used by me and I have it's background data disabled.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, i know what the problem is, lol. :devil:
no seriously, like everyone has been saying, cortana is killing your battery.
i dont really care for her but i really would like to use the quiet hours function. please make it work without her.

Joe Strouth

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems worse on my 521, but not anything I can definitively say isn't from excessive fiddling and feature testing. Time will tell.
My battery lasted plenty long for my uses before updating, so I'd happily trade a little stamina for all the new stuff.

Sent from my Lumia

vansiv

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I love my L920and never had serious problems with battery, but with 8.1 is another story...im worries, I know I know is a beta it the battery drain is just too much. I going to disable Cortana and check. So location is off since yesterday.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty bad. My L1520 used to go about 2-2.5 days on a single charge. I'm looking to get maybe one day out of it with the preview. For a huge battery, that really sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynoGills